What's in your Oil Can?

/ What's in your Oil Can? #1  

The Suburban Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 2320
So, here's a "simple" question that I've been wondering about the last couple of days. What do you guys put in your oil can?

When my father passed away, I got all of his old tools including some old oil cans and I've cleaned them up and plan on making them part of my tool kit. Usually, he just put motor oil in them, and that's what I do in my current oil can, but I was wondering what other folks do. Since I'll have a few, would it make sense to use different oils for different purposes in each one?

What are you guys are using?

oil can.jpg

/ What's in your Oil Can? #2  
Nice collection. I have one can with motor oil and a couple of cans (bottles) of 3-in-1 oil.

Steve

/ What's in your Oil Can?
Thanks, Steve -- have to admit, that's not my collection... just a stock image. Mine are a little older.

I was wondering about 3-in-1 oil... some folks swear by it and others say not to use it. Do you use your oils for different specific purposes?

/ What's in your Oil Can? #4  
Heh, he said "stock image"...

/ What's in your Oil Can? #5  
I use Kroil in one of my oil cans.

/ What's in your Oil Can? #6  
I use the oldest open bottle with the least amount in it that is sitting on the shelf. Right now it is 90wt marine oil for the lower unit of a boat motor.

/ What's in your Oil Can? #7  
Tapmatic #1 Gold cutting fluid in the pump oil can that I can reach from the drill press and tap & die sets.
A tiny (8 oz) brush can of Fluid Film in the cup holder of the L series tractor.
I'll have to see if I can cut the Fluid Film with something to get it to flow easily from the pump oil can I keep near the tractors.

/ What's in your Oil Can? #8  
Fluid film, good stuff, thought that was my little secret.
Keep a Zoom Spout bottle on my workbench.

/ What's in your Oil Can? #9  
I have the following in various sorts of oil cans:
1) motor
2) 3-n-1
3) cutting [tapmagic]
4) penetrating
5) gear [80-90]
6) brake fluid

and three weights of very light oils [using needle applicators]

if you are limiting me to what I used on/around the tractor, that would be 1, 2, and 5 :)

/ What's in your Oil Can? #10  
I've toiled with this decision also. Currently, I have 10w-30 mobile 1 in mine, but I wonder if a no detergent oil would be better.