whats it worth bobcat 753

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
I need a little help find out what this piece of equipment is worth. I am looking at a bobcat which I believe is a 1996 753 skid steer looks to be in fair to rough shape cosmetically with 1800 hrs on it. It does not run/or atleast not now. I was told needs a head gasket and exhaust but all hydraulics work. when last driven in a shed.

Assuming this is true what is a fair price for the machine? I know look on tractorhouse, but all those run so there lies the problem? Here is the vin 512728505 if that means anything. Just looking for opinions on a price if buying? thanks for your time

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #2  
Unless you are looking for a lot of projects I would steer clear of a machine that doesn't run. If it doesn't run you can't tell whether the hydraulic pump is good - that is another very expensive replacement. Parts alone could be the better part of $1000 for the pump, labor goes much higher.

You want to see how much play is in the joints - if it was abused, not greased then you could be looking at a lot of work to true up the joints. Cylinders are between $100 and $200 each for a rebuild. Electronics on that age machine might be complex enough to cause real headaches as well - if a mouse chewed up a wire in the wrong place it can be tough to diagnose and tough to replace.

There are a lot of the small Bobcats out there that run so that you can see what is worn and broken. I have bought two in the past 10 years. The deals are out there, be patient and find one that runs so that you can tell what you are getting.

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #3  
I have a neighbor with a similar machine , he just sold it last month for $ 8900. it was up and running turn key . What you are looking at is a gamble . You have to assume the worst , new motor and pump since you cant test anything . I would offer no more than $ 1200 and see what happens . ( based on you turning wrenches) If you have to send it to a shop , I would pass

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #4  
What attachments are coming with it? That can help make up a loss. I bought a 743, 1600hrs, 1984 build year with a dirt bucket, forks and snow plow for $6000 about 5 years ago. It was rough but ran well, had multiple small hydraulic leaks. Bought a 773, 1800 hrs, 1999 build year with a dirt bucket for about $10000 a few years back, more money but the machine was in great condition.

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #5  
If it has a leaking head gasket, result of overheating it more than likely has a cracked head. Cylinder head will run a couple $K.

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #6  
Used crank 1500.00. Friends father had a construction business for years and they started keeping a crew at the local GM foundry. Just sold the business and everything that was used for the last 70 years. His low hour 753 brought near 10,000. He wished he had bought a couple more new.

/ whats it worth bobcat 753
I did a little bit of research on parts, a motor reman 2500 to 3500, ya expensive. the seller is suppose to get back with me on a price. I think the plan was he was going to fix and then sell. He did tell me he did drive it into the barn and everything did work, I think it will run long enough to see if the pumps are working.
I do turn wrenches for a living, but never worked on a skid steer. I guess what I am saying is the labor for this project is on me. If I decide to get it. I guess I figured it might be worth it to me if its just motor work, but if its hydraulic pumps and motors then I might have to much money wrapped up in it.

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #8  
I did a little bit of research on parts, a motor reman 2500 to 3500, ya expensive. the seller is suppose to get back with me on a price. I think the plan was he was going to fix and then sell. He did tell me he did drive it into the barn and everything did work, I think it will run long enough to see if the pumps are working.
I do turn wrenches for a living, but never worked on a skid steer. I guess what I am saying is the labor for this project is on me. If I decide to get it. I guess I figured it might be worth it to me if its just motor work, but if its hydraulic pumps and motors then I might have to much money wrapped up in it.

I have found working on the Bobcats to be pretty straight forward if you are comfortable around engines. If you don't have to pay an equipment mechanic then your risk is a lot lower. I will say that I LOVE the Bobocat.

/ whats it worth bobcat 753
If you could do most of the work your self, figured in what do you think would be a fair price for a non running skid steer?

/ whats it worth bobcat 753 #10  
If you could do most of the work your self, figured in what do you think would be a fair price for a non running skid steer?

I would probably not buy a non-running SS even though I do most of the repairs myself - the reason is that I would be buying it to get work done. If I just wanted to burn time and make a hobby out of it that would be different. In that case I might pay $1200 and plan on potentially parting it out if the actual repair costs pile up too far once I get it.