What's it worth?

/ What's it worth? #1  

t1kilo

Tractor
JD 5085E
Hi guys. I've got a dilemma that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I've often read on this form that "no one ever wishes they had a smaller tractor", but I have to say that I'm in that position. First, let me give you a little background.

I have 12 acres of what was once a small cattle operation (150 acres, more or less). My land drops 23' from the west property line to the east. Shortly after I bought the property, I bought a brand new 2015 Kubota M5660 - open station. Initially, I was only using the tractor for cutting grass (all 12 acres - no pond), and it did a pretty decent job with that. It wasn't until a couple years later when I moved onto the property and started doing other things (like gardening) that I realized that I might need something else. My biggest complaint about the machine was that it was too fast in the lowest gear to effectively use my 7' Bush Hog reverse tine tiller. To get 540 RPM to the tiller in 1 low meant travelling at 1.6 MPH. I did not have the 540E PTO option on that machine, which might have helped.

About 2 years ago, I started searching for a replacement for the Kubota. I wanted a machine in the same or slightly higher HP range with a cab. In November 2021, I ended up with a 2014 JD 5085E. It's a great tractor, but it's really too heavy and too big for my needs, so now I'm looking to replace that one and find something more suitable.

I have my eye on a 2013 Kubota M6040 that recently came up for sale. It's a single owner unit with 320 hours on it. The operator's manual and maintenance records are available, and it seems to be in good shape. The seller is asking $38K with a 8' rotary cutter, which also appears to be in good shape. I know that the price is high. I just got off the phone with him, and he knows it too. I don't want to insult the guy with an offer that's too low, but there is some wiggle room. A cursory check of tractorhouse found 4 or 5 of the same model sold in the past year. The most expensive one was $31K, with pallet forks, no bucket, and no rotary cutter. There were 2 that sold for right at $24K and 2 others right at $28K. One of the ones at $28K had 380 hours, so it was comparable, but it apparently spent more time outside. I'm thinking that at most, I would consider offering the guy $34K, and even that might be too much. What are your thoughts? Here's a couple of pics to try to help.

By the way, I'm only trying to get an idea of a fair price. I really don't want this thread to go off on a tangent about why I should consider other brands. I'm a regular visitor of the site, and there are plenty of threads started that go down that rabbit hole. The Kubota dealer is less than 3 miles from me, and there are 2 JD dealers within 15 miles. Also, I really don't want a new unit as I've had two at this point with DPF and am not interested in another one.

Thanks in advance.

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

Attachments

• pic1_1.jpg
    pic1_1.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 119
  • pic3_1.jpg
    pic3_1.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 135
   / What's it worth? #2  
THats a really clean tractor and loader doesn't look like it was used much. When you look at similar auction results with Cab and loader, they are $25-30K range with much higher hours (12-1500 hrs) and one was $35K with 250 hours and cab.

I would say $35K is reasonable offer/good deal with the cutter, considering pictures, and a very good condition tractor.

/ What's it worth? #3  
THats a really clean tractor and loader doesn't look like it was used much. When you look at similar auction results with Cab and loader, they are $25-30K range with much higher hours (12-1500 hrs) and one was $35K with 250 hours and cab.

I would say $35K is reasonable offer/good deal with the cutter, considering pictures, and a very good condition tractor.
I agree that $35k would be a reasonable offer. For a machine that clean $38 is not out of the question.

Andy

/ What's it worth?
I'd say 32k is more than fair.

It's sat A LOT in the last 9-10 years and is no longer under warranty.
If it were just the tractor, then I would agree that $32-33 would be fair. The tractor is 10 years old, and yes, it's out of warranty, but so are both of the other tractors I've owned in the past 7 years. I think it's reasonable to believe that it will be a viable machine for at least another 25 years if it continues to be taken care of as it apparently has the first 10 years, so I tend to agree with Andy and Carl that $34-35, or possibly even $36 is fair with the cutter.

/ What's it worth? #6  
If it were just the tractor, then I would agree that $32-33 would be fair. The tractor is 10 years old, and yes, it's out of warranty, but so are both of the other tractors I've owned in the past 7 years. I think it's reasonable to believe that it will be a viable machine for at least another 25 years if it continues to be taken care of as it apparently has the first 10 years, so I tend to agree with Andy and Carl that $34-35, or possibly even $36 is fair with the cutter.
It's probably fair either way. I've seen too many leaks from things sitting. Especially outside.

/ What's it worth? #7  
And you would be hard pressed to find a non-tier 4 in this condition, and I concur $36 isn't too high. Maybe test the waters with $35 maybe 36K if everything checks out good.

/ What's it worth? #8  
People usually won’t get offended with a reasonable lower offer. 15k would be insulting but $30k would be a good starting offer IMO.

/ What's it worth?
So, I went out to look at the tractor in person this afternoon. It is every bit as clean as it looks in the pics. It appears that there is a creep gear kit available, but I need to verify this with the dealer tomorrow. I've found posts of folks that have installed the kit in M7060, but none for the M6040. I want to make sure before committing to this. If anyone has done it on a M6040, I'd appreciate your feedback. Also, it doesn't have the 540E PTO. It looks like that was an option on that machine in 2013, so again, I'm curious if there is a kit available to convert it. If there is, then that would seal the deal.