What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station?

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #1  

Lefty7

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940HSTC, LA724, BH92, RTV-X1100C, 1978 Dodge D100 Adventurer (Sunrise Orange), 2018 Ram 2500 (Omaha Orange)
I need to improve the power source for my farm’s diesel fueling station. I need something more reliable.

The 12V DC transfer pump is mounted on an 500 gal. tank outdoors. I currently have just a tractor and ATV requiring diesel, (though this could change), so it doesn’t get used more than once every few months unless it’s growing/tilling season. When I set it up about 10 years ago, I thought the easiest way was to get power from the fueled unit through its cig lighter/DC power port, but this has its problems. Sometimes – especially when I want to fuel them both at the same time - the draw heats up the plug and on occasion pops the inline fuse or even the fuse on the vehicle’s DC port. Then everything comes to a halt while I go fuse hunting. Recently, I suspect it may have even torched the wiring to the ATV's DC port, since I had the dealer tech up the fuse's spec to handle the pump draw. And it seems to vary depending on ambient temperature. I’ve cut down the wire leading to the pump to the minimum needed to reach the vehicle, but it remains an ongoing problem.

The fuel station is within about 20 feet from an inside-accessed AC power outlet, and I’m wondering if some beefy DC power supply would work better; I could run it out to the station only when needed. But after a quick look at these, it seems many are more suited to audio and electronics test bench situations than my ag application.

I am currently renewing all components of the fuel station – pump and motor, hose and nozzle, etc. – and need to get rid of these nagging DC power issues. Trolling for suggestions, wondering what others might be using in a similar setup. Your thoughts on the subject would be welcome. Thank you.

~Lefty7

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #2  
I use a smallish 80a 12v sealed battery. This battery is often used for surveillance equipment which requires replacement every 2 years. And the take offs are good for many more years. A friend used to give these to me. I use them to power 12v lighting in sheds on the ranch. Recharge it every 3-6 mos. It does double duty as it is easy to move from use to use. But most of the time it sits on the fuel tank in the barn.
Initially I too thought I would power from the tractor so I purchased and installed exterior battery contacts. My pump has long leads with alligator clamps. But I find it easier to use the portable battery as not all my diesel users have easy battery access.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.JPG
    IMG_2881.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 137
   / What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #3  
Battery with solar charger on it. Put an outdoor box and switch on it for the just in case times to turn on and off. That way I'd the switch fails on pump, you have a backup switch. Could also power a small LED light for early or late fill ups.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #4  
I use SAE pigtails with extension cords off of all of my vehicles for 12 V usage.

You can get some fairly heavy gauge from Amazon and other sources.

SAE pigtails tend to be very convenient for me

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #5  
Also, they serve a dual purpose because you can plug your battery tenders in at night with them

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #6  
Not sure of the amperage for your pump is but there is many 12vDC 30a supplies that would handle it (cost about $20-30). Or you might consider changing your pump to a AC version. Don't be turned off by descriptions of what the power supply might be used for. Surge Amperage is the big concern. VA=W

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #7  
What's the pump current draw, or for an idea what amp is the fuse that blows?
If it's within 20 feet of ac power I'd go with a power supply. Probably 12v 30 amp would do it.
Better yet to me would be change out to a 120vac pump. Harbor Freight has one on sale $60 that's a little over 5 gpm which should work fine.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #8  
Not sure of the amperage for your pump is but there is many 12vDC 30a supplies that would handle it (cost about $20-30). Or you might consider changing your pump to a AC version. Don't be turned off by descriptions of what the power supply might be used for. Surge Amperage is the big concern. VA=W
Exactly what I wrote...posted seconds before me

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #9  
I used Anderson power connector plugs (A bit overkill but it was all I had at the time). Mounted one on tractor direct to battery and other on pump wiring and simply plug in when I need to fill up. You could do the same on your tractor and ATV.

/ What's the best 12V DC power source for my fueling station? #10  
I used Anderson power connector plugs (A bit overkill but it was all I had at the time). Mounted one on tractor direct to battery and other on pump wiring and simply plug in when I need to fill up. You could do the same on your tractor and ATV.
This is a very good solution. Bypass the cigarette lighter plug, use the onboard battery of the ATV.

Plus the power pole connector "pigtail" you bring off the ATV battery can be used for other things. I do this to power a tank/sprayer when driving the ATV around spraying weeds. You can also get a weatherproof cap to go over the power connector on the ATV.

fyi Anderson PP connectors are available in different amperage ratings ...

Last edited: