Whats the best $400 chainsaw.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw.
Well not quite $400, but it did include an Alaskan Mark III chainsaw mill:

Stihl 088 (120CC), lightly used w/ bar, chain, cases, mill $450.
280189d1347285073-i-couldnt-believe-088-450-a-088_just-bought-jpg

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chainsaws/257299-i-couldnt-believe-088-450-a.html

Runs like a loud scalded cat.

What was the backstory there? I’d have snatched that up. I don’t know what the mill is worth but I’d give $450 for just a saw that big. I haven’t had much luck buying used saws.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #82  
What was the backstory there? I壇 have snatched that up. I don稚 know what the mill is worth but I壇 give $450 for just a saw that big. I haven稚 had much luck buying used saws.

CL find. About a 40yr old guy who lived in Oakton, Va (fairly dense suburbs) about 2 miles from the NRA Museum, had bought it because a moderately sized walnut had died and he thought he would turn it into furniture. He had sawed up that tree and one or two others. His small 2 car garage was full of stickered slabs. And I think his wife wanted to be able to park her car.

When I called him a couple of hours after he posted it there were 2 or 3 others in line for it but I was the only one to show up the next day with cash.
It rounds out my saw collection
d-660-s-8x6.JPG

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #83  
A friend repairs saws for a living and I have owned a few.

Johnsered, Huskaverna or Stihl are the best there are out there.

I'd add none sold in big box stores either no matter what brand, go to a small engine repair facility or logger supply source if one is near you.
You want to deal with someone that can service what U buy.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #84  
CL find. About a 40yr old guy who lived in Oakton, Va (fairly dense suburbs) about 2 miles from the NRA Museum, had bought it because a moderately sized walnut had died and he thought he would turn it into furniture. He had sawed up that tree and one or two others. His small 2 car garage was full of stickered slabs. And I think his wife wanted to be able to park her car.

When I called him a couple of hours after he posted it there were 2 or 3 others in line for it but I was the only one to show up the next day with cash.
It rounds out my saw collection
View attachment 575645

Right now I would kill to hae that saw. Put down a 5' diameter oak in the middle of a farmer's field. 5 days now and I just now have it down to the bare base log about 15' long and still around 4' at the end. Working it with an MS441CM/32" bar. Looks like a toothpick up against that monster.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #85  
That's an extremely good deal for that saw, not even counting the mill and the cases. Well done!

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #86  
I'm a fan of stihl. it's a great brand. i like it.