Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine?

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #11  
Engines we used on combines are still made by Deutz in China. BF6L913C engine on the R50 and V-8s, I can't remember exact numbers, on the R60 and R70. On our combines in the Midwest an engine was good for about 1,000 hours but partly because customers were used to maintaining liquid cooled engines. The engine people warned us that fans wear out quickly in abrasive conditions like sand and dust, and combines are surrounded by dust. The cooling fan is not easy to see - our proto engine fans had 35% of their blades worn after one season with a corresponding loss of cooling air. The heater hoses filled with engine oil (remember that there is no water jacket to use for cab heat so we had to use engine oil) along with the core held over a gallon that didn't get replaced with an oil change. Customers who bought the Deutz engined machines were especially hard hit because resale value dropped - it was buy the Cummins repower kit or scrap. When Deutz bout the company we were happy - it meant we still had jobs. We had heard great things about the engines and thought we had a winner but it was not to be. I don't dispute there are many tractor owners who love their Deutz tractors, and of course other applications, but there is a very good reason KHD went belly up and the new Deutz is a shell of their former self with what remains of their air cooled production in China.

/ Whats the difference between a Duetz air-cooled and oil-cooled engine? #12  
Isn't that little CAT engine, really a Perkins??

When the first gulf war was going on, and sadam lit the oil fields on fire, my friend went there to help put those fires out. My friend said it was hotter than blazes out there, and the only engines that could take the extreme heat was Deutz air/oil cooled. They had them on their gen sets and he said, they just kept on ticking!

I have nothing but good things to say about the Deutz air/oil cooled diesels i've owned, i still have one and i agree, you have to keep them clean.....a 10 minute job at most...

There's lot's and lot's of air/oil cooled Deutz tractors still on the job here, all of them STILL making money for their owners!

SR

I don't know it may be a Perkins dressed in Cat yellow. I can ask the Cat guy next time I see him. Which prolly won't be too long of a wait. There is no doubt Deutz has it's place and use niche. Just like air cooled VW engines surviving in hot desert conditions. But overall Deutz is a dying breed unless they can clean up the emissions. B.