Comparison What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L?

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #11  
The L4600 is a much larger tractor than the L3200-L3800, like a striped grand L. Ive been looking at them for the last three months.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #12  
The L4600 is a much larger tractor than the L3200-L3800, like a striped grand L. Ive been looking at them for the last three months.

Again, I disagree. The L4600 is a bigger tractor than the L3200 or L3800, but it's more than just stripped down when comparing to the Grand L series. Look at the L4740 and forget about the minor hp diff. Almost 1000lbs more than the L4600, 1000lbs more lift at the 3pt, 1 gpm more total hydraulic flow, bigger wheel base, bigger tires, optional mid-PTO, much stronger FEL. These are differences over an above the features that are just stripped down.

Again, I'm not bashing the Standard L series, it may be perfect for some, it's just not for me. It doesn't compare to the Grand L line, nor would it make sense if it did. I bought a Kioti because it does compare to the Grand L but at the Standard L price.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #13  
I'm looking at the L3540HST versus the L4600HST

I'm looking at these primarily due to the 9' backhoe, which I expect to be using a lot.
according to build my Kubota, these will both take the same BH, whereas the L3800 will only take the 7'?

the 4600 has 9HP more than the L3540, so what does the 3540 have other than rubber floor mats that the 4600 does not?

I'll be using this on 20 acres of mostly trees. my JD650 is not capable of doing the construction projects that I've been trying to start.

I have an L4240 and these are my feelings on HST+:
- Stall Guard: I leave it on. Basically it tells me without stalling the engine when I should use a lower range by making a lot of hydraulic bypass noise with a small reduction in engine RPM.
- Hydro Dual Speed: I like this. If I'm in Low Range I can use the lower speed to pull or push something but then the higher range to get somewhere.
- HST Response Control: This is my favorite HST+ feature. You can tune what happens when you push or let off the HST pedal. At one end of the range when you lift off the pedal the tractor jerks to a stop. At the other end of the range it "coasts" a bit. You can set it to do whatever you would expect it to do and according to your personal preference.
- Auto Throttle Advance: I don't use it.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #14  
I hate to disagree with a Kubota dealer, but from what I've read here on TBN, that is not correct. People have reported the jerky hitch on all standard L models as well as MX models.

I tend to not believe everything I read on the internet :). I don't think many people understand what the problem on the small STD L's really is and attribute it to their own tractors incorrectly. While I can verify that it exists, in my experience its overblown by about a 1000%.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #15  
I tend to not believe everything I read on the internet :). I don't think many people understand what the problem on the small STD L's really is and attribute it to their own tractors incorrectly. While I can verify that it exists, in my experience its overblown by about a 1000%.

You maybe right, perhaps it is overblown, but lots of folks here say it's true and a lot of them are fairly knowledgeable when it comes to tractors, having owned/operated since childhood. I think there may be a lot of folks who don't use the 3pt very much or for tasks that it would make a difference so they never complain about it. There are a lot of vids about it on youtube, although no L4600's that I could find.

As a dealer who acknowledges the issue exists, have you ever found a fix? If this issue is, as you say, getting overblown and way too much attention, why doesn't Kubota just fix it? They know how to build a 3pt hitch that works, how much could the valves in the Standard L be saving them? Doesn't seem worth the neg. publicity to me.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #16  
The Kubota's Grand L seat has been mentioned as improved. Ok, maybe, mine is pretty unimpressive and I have a Michigan seat to replace it in the Spring. Plus it squeaks like crazy, and bottoms out too easily even when tightened all the way.
so phooey on the seat; reminds of a Corvette's seat, terrible seat in a marvelous car.

Somewhere in this site is a recent quote about pushing into a burning burn pile with a brand new tractor, having the tractor stall, and melting the grill, lights and tires before able to back up. Now that's a great example of why Stall Guard can be very nice...

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #17  
Think about the people that purchase the std L models. I would guess that a lot of them are first time tractor owners-users. The hitch may or may not work properly. The owner has no idea that it does or doesn't work right. As far as he knows, that is how it should be and lives with it. Just because something isn't brought attention to doesn't make it right though. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. ;)

Just my :2cents:

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #18  
Think about the people that purchase the std L models. I would guess that a lot of them are first time tractor owners-users. The hitch may or may not work properly. The owner has no idea that it does or doesn't work right. As far as he knows, that is how it should be and lives with it. Just because something isn't brought attention to doesn't make it right though. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. ;)

That my friend, hits the "nail on the head" and my thoughts exactly.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #19  

How about video evidence then.... check out MX5100 - YouTube

This is video of a brand new 2012 MX5100 that I recently purchased. Made the mistake of not checking it with a box blade on the dealer lot before I purchased. Found it first time I tried to use the box blade. Contacted dealer and he then tested ALL of the MX5100's he had on his lot and ALL of them had the same jerky hitch when trying to feather up with a box blade. Keep in mind the 3pt is smooth if you raise it quickly or in large increments, but if you try to feather it up with a box blade, this is what you get. Kubota support told my dealer that this was within the "tolerance range" for acceptable performance for the design of the 3pt hitch on all of the Standard L's and MX economy tractors. So to Kubota (and I guess most Kubota dealers) there is no problem.

I fixed mine by swapping it for a Grand L 4240....

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #20  

I think there are more than just first time buyers buying them. I bought one even after reading alot of the threads and watching the videos. I tried a couple of L's out locally before deciding to buy from Barlow's. This is actually the forth tractor I have owned, not including garden tractors. For what I needed this tractor for, the three point hitch is not an issue. Actually the backhoe really never comes off, but I do feel that it is over hyped from what I have seen. Not saying some of the older L's did seem really bad in the videos. I think the newer L's are livable. I think with the right touch, they are fine for most uses. Now it would be nice to have it smooth as a Grand, but I knew that I was buying an economy model, and the pros outweighed the cons. That is all I really need at the moment is a basic machine with a backhoe. It is nice that people are informed about it and let them try one before purchasing to make sure it is something they can live with. I think this is somewhat similar to sudden stop in reverse in the BX's. Some can not stand it and others seem fine using them.