What's the difference?

/ What's the difference? #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
By BIL just recently purchased a '93 F350 with the 7.3L turbo diesel. Looking it up it's not listed as the "powerstroke" 7.3. We were discussing MPG and he kept saying, "It's not a powerstroke". What's the difference between the 7.3 turbo and the powerstroke, is it just a name badge or was there a significant improvement?

It seems to have plenty of power according to him.

/ What's the difference? #2  
The 7.3 Turbo was a normally aspirated 7.3 diesel with a factory installed ATS turbo. It had a mechanical fuel injection pump. Very good engine, reliable, no computers and made decent power. I had one in a '94 F-350 dually.

The Powerstroke came out in '94, first in manual trans trucks. Computerized, turbocharged and the injectors operated off oil pressure from a high pressure oil pump. The only thing common between the two engines is the displacement.

/ What's the difference? #3  
yep.. we have a 93.5 f250 at work with the 7.3l turbo diesel.. I have a 99 f450 with the 7.3psd. sound totally different.. different engine.

i figure the turbo diesel 7.3 was a stopgap from the NA 7.3 till the PSD's came out..

soundguy

/ What's the difference?
Any idea how they are different? What are the respective power ratings?

/ What's the difference? #5  
Any idea how they are different? What are the respective power ratings?

I think the 7.3 Turbo was rated about 190hp and the first Powerstroke was about 215. The 7.3 turbo and Powerstroke were offered together in late '94, they used the 7.3 turbo with the automatic trans and Powerstroke with the manual. In '95 the Powerstroke was used with both transmissions. Like I said, they were completely different engines except for the cubic inches, 7.3 turbo was mechanical and Powerstroke was computerized.

/ What's the difference? #6  
you were told the major differences.. one is a plain jane old NA diesel setup that had a turbo added.. injector pump.. etc.. etc.. the psd uses the high pressure oil setup.. etc.

hp / torque info is available on the internet.

soundguy

/ What's the difference?
Ha! I went to Wikopedia, of all places, and found what I was after. Thanks. Seems like they ARE 2 totally different engines. The only thing in common is the displacement.

This is copied from Wikopedia;

7.3 Power Stroke

In mid 1994, the 7.3L Power Stroke diesel was introduced. Although the previous 7.3L had the same displacement, there weren't any other similarities between the two. The Power Stroke is an electronically controlled, direct injection engine with a 4.11 in (104.4 mm) bore and 4.18 in (106.2 mm) stroke creating a displacement of 444 cu in (7.3 L). It has a 17.5:1 compression ratio, and has a dry weight of approximately 920 lbs. This engine produced up to 250 hp (190 kW) and 525 lb·ft (712 N·m) of torque in automatic trucks during the last years of production, and 275 hp (205 kW) and 550 lb·ft (746 N·m) of torque in manual trucks. The 1994.5 to 1996/97 DI Power stroke had "single shot" HEUI (hydraulically actuated electronic unit injection) fuel injectors and ran a 15° high pressure oil pump (HPOP) to create the necessary oil pressure to fire the fuel injectors. 1994.5-1997 trucks used a cam driven fuel pump, whereas the 1999-2003 trucks used a frame rail mounted electric fuel pump. The California trucks in 1996 and 1997 had split shot fuel injectors whereas the rest of the trucks didn't get split shots until 1999. The difference between the split shot and single shot are the single shot only injects one charge of fuel per cycle, whereas the split shot releases a pre light load before the main charge to initiate combustion in a more damped manner. This controlled injection helps reduce the sharp combustion 'knock'. It utilizes a single turbocharger with a turbine housing size of 1.15 A/R. In 1999, an air to air intercooler was added to cool the charged air from the turbo making it more dense. The cooler, denser air would increase the horsepower potential of the engine, while also reducing exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs). Eventually, the turbine housing was changed to a .84 A/R housing and a wastegate was added. With larger injectors, the HPOP was advanced to 17° to change fueling characteristics. The 7.3 L DI Power Stroke was in production until the middle of model year 2003 when it was replaced by the 6.0L.

The www is just plain amazing.

/ What's the difference?
you were told the major differences.. one is a plain jane old NA diesel setup that had a turbo added.. injector pump.. etc.. etc.. the psd uses the high pressure oil setup.. etc.

hp / torque info is available on the internet.

soundguy

OK computer was acting up and not all posts were showing up. Still don't every time. No need to be snippy.

/ What's the difference? #9  
OK computer was acting up and not all posts were showing up. Still don't every time. No need to be snippy.

not being snippy.. just wondered why you asked the same question twice, after 2 replies were up.

if yours is not displaying new posts I suggest you clear your caches.

as for you thinking my remark was snippy.. no problem.. (click-click) you won't be seeing any more replies from me to your posts... that should take care of any confusion as to my intent.

soundguy