What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world?

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I'm looking at putting in a small Orchard on our property, and other than eating fruit, I know little about growing trees for it.

I am looking for the TBN of the Orchard world. I'm wanting to be able to discuss things and ask questions of like-minded folk on this topic. If anyone knows of a good, well trafficked site with some intelligent folk, I'd like to get that info please.

My current goal is to put in a small Orchard on our property and really know nothing about it. Being who I am... I'd like to make as few preventable mistakes as possible. I really enjoy the collegial atmosphere here on TBN and I'd like to find something similar concerning growing fruit/nut trees, grafting, etc.

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #2  
Can't help on a specific website, but I would suggest talking to your local county extension agent and also enrolling in a local master gardener's class.

How many trees you thinking?

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #3  
Cornell Cooperative Extension web site;located in NY but has a lot of good information.No.1 with new young trees is to protect from deer/rabbits ect.

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #4  
Dadnatron

we are close by in Southern IN. We planted 3 Red Haven peach trees and a few Cherries this spring. We got two large sweet peaches first year.

Each variety of tree has it's own set of needs. So we have googled by tree and have leaned a bunch

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #5  
Arboristsite.com

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #6  
A popular forum on growing fruit is "http://www.growingfruit.org/". Also, in addition to Cornell University site , Penn State Uni.has a lot of info on the subect.

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #7  
Home Orchard society.com is very useful. These members are really into fruit trees.

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #8  
garden web which is now houzz has a fruit & orchard forum

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #9  
Go to the best local nursery in your area and see what they have to offer. Not a box store, they sell stuff that never has a chance of surviving.

One thing that we've found really helps is drilling a small hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket and filling it up with the hose. Then the water slowly drains into the ground at the tree without running off. It's proven to be a huge difference when watering them.

/ What's the TBN of the Orchard/fruit/nut tree world? #10  
Just because things have a long growing season, that is not the whole story. Where we are peach and plum trees grow good, but after it gets warm for a few weeks in the spring and everything buds out nice, we will generally get a week long below freezing cold snap. That kills all the possibilities of fruit. Find out quirks like than possibly from neighbors that have trees.