Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #31  
I choose the magic hour number based on when it's convenient to do, and when the weather is still above freezing. My barn is not heated.

I also prefer to keep my tractor on all four tires and crawl underneath. It just seems alot easier than tipping the tractor.:laughing:

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #32  
I'm fine with an early first oil change - as long as the 50hr change is still done at or near 50 hours. I understand the desire to get all the early wear metal out of the machine, but if that early change is too early there will be additional wear particles generated after the change. Those will circulate until the next change. If it's at 100hrs (or whatever) the end result may well be the opposite of the intent.

This is just me speculating. Anyone have an idea (better yet, test results) of when the initial break-in is actually over?

Z.

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #33  
I follow the maintenance schedule in the manual. I think the manufacturers recommendations are conservative enough. The engine with scheduled/proper maintenance is the probably the strongest link in the tractor.

Here is how I look at it. If I were to put 200 hours a year, after 25 years, that's 5000 hours. To my understanding, it is widely accepted that these diesels run about 10,000 hours before an overhaul is needed.

I really only put on about 100-150ish hours a year on each machine, so that is way under that even.

Instead of changing out still serviceable expensive fluids, I would rather save my money, and spend it on other repair/maintenance on the tractor, such as grease for the FEL/BH, tire replacement/repair, clutch replacement, FEL/BH hoses, and especially engine air filters. Not to mention anything else I might break or damage. I think keeping a good air filter in the engine is much more important that changing hydraulic fluid that are constantly filtered in a sealed system.

With all that said, I changed ALL the fluids (replaced with SUDT2 and rotella T5) and filters in my B2920 at 50 hours, and now I proceed with standard recommend intervals. :D

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #34  
I think the 500 mile oil change was the way it was and I do remember it.
It was a good policy and the old 2000 mile oil/filter changes was good too.
I do an oil/filter change and then at 3000 miles I do a filter change and add oil.
Good thing Mobile 1 comes in a six pack.
A six pack of oil and two Motorcraft filters usually run under $35, on sale, so I get half a year out of one purchase.

My tractor, then SC2450 which was sold recently, had three oil changes in 105 hours of run time, including filters. I was thinking of going back to OEM Specs for the rest of the oil maintenance but it is gone now so the new tractor will see the same effort on the oil changes.

I am a believer in more oil/filter change the longer the engine will last and yes I run and will run synthetic oil in everything is own, great stuff !

And I repeat what has already been said, if the owner of the equipment want to do more tha OEM Spec Oil/filter changes and they don't mind paying of rot then who am I to say don't do it.

Ltr

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #35  
Here is some interesting engine oil facts, specifically for diesels. I like facts. ;)

The only way to know if you are dumping out perfectly good oil is to have it tested. I personally don't like flushing away clean toilet paper looking for a comforting feeling! ;) :D

Diesel Oil

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #36  
I choose the magic hour number based on when it's convenient to do, and when the weather is still above freezing. My barn is not heated.

I also prefer to keep my tractor on all four tires and crawl underneath. It just seems alot easier than tipping the tractor.:laughing:

Finally an answer I can under stand and agree with 100%. When all the factors align and the new "stuff" is on hand.

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #37  
Interesting thoughts. Manual for mine says to change at 100-500 hours depending on use. I also asked a dealer about this and they say to change no sooner than 150 hours no matter what. I understand its a different machine but it would only make sense that changing the break in oil to soon on anything would only hurt your engine performance in the long run. Id say do what the manufacturer says. I feel that people are way to touchy about there oil changes. My grandfather told me when I wanted to change the oil once on our 8N that back when he was farming and very poor that the used oil out of the M used to go into the 8N. Then when they bought a Diesel tractor the oil went from that to the M then the 8N. BTY the 8N still runs and so does the M.

"If the engine has too much operating time at idle, constant speeds, and/or light load usage, or make-up oil is required during the first 100-hour period, a longer break-in period may be needed without changing Break-In Plus oil until 500 hours."

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #38  
I thought the oil/filter changes in the early hours is more for the cleaning out of metal particulates not a question of the lubricious of the oil or the non existence of same.

Changing out a breakin oil too soon may or may not cause future heavier wear characteristics but these engine are broke in at the factory and only need a good cleaning, I,e, 50 and 100 hours maintenance.

Again, change the oil/filter(s) as many time as you want to, it's only money.

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #39  
I thought the oil/filter changes in the early hours is more for the cleaning out of metal particulates not a question of the lubricity of the oil or the non existence of same.

Changing out a breakin oil too soon may or may not cause future heavier wear characteristics but these engine are broke in at the factory and only need a good cleaning, i.e. 50 and 100 hours maintenance.

Again, change the oil/filter(s) as many time as you want to, it's only money.

/ Whats the value of performing the 50hr service at 25hrs #40  
I changed the engine oil on my BX2670 at 26 hours. THERE is an odd number, right? Well, it was the end of the mowing season, the deck was off, so it was easier to do. By this point, the oil was about a year and half, or more, old. While I don't see recommended time changes for tractors, most cars call for x number of miles, or x number of months. I've NEVER seen a recommended change time of a year, much less 18+ months, so I went ahead and changed it for winter while it was easy to do.

Yup, I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

Yup, if I'd put 50 hours on it in one season, it would have went the full 50 hours. Or even 60 if that's what it took to get to that last mowing so the deck would be off so it would be easier......................