What's with Europeans and plowing?

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #11  
Around here about the only ones who still plow the fields on a regular basis are the Amish, sometimes using a 6 horse hitch, but usually 4 or 2.
The English farmers favor no-till or conservation tillage to reduce trips over the field, saving fuel and reducing compaction at the same time.
Then there's my neighbor who plows only when planting hay, but uses a huge roller after the actual planting. The thing is about 15 feet wide, 3 feet in diameter, filled with concrete. He says it pushes the rocks back down into the soil.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #12  
N80 said:
I've seen some strange configurations too. Of course you see these long multi-bottom reversing plows, but on a couple of videos they are also pulling what looks like a disk, or maybe a cultipacker on a long outrigger and at the end of each row, it disconnects and the tractor picks it up when it turns and makes the next pass. They don't even slow down.

I've seen this too and it is still mesmerizing for me. Still can't figure out how it can possibly be working as well as it does.

The RC versions look spot on real too. Mind blowing.

As far as plowing, I always though it was used only when turning virgin soil into an crop land.:eek: I thought afterwards you could alway use a disc to prep your fields from there on out. You see how much I know about tilage. I will say the Europeans have some very cool implements. I just gets so confusing though as some are combination disk/cultivators/harrows which makes it tough to determine when, why, where do you use such a tool.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #13  
When I lived over there, there used to be horse drawn plowing contests every summer and those are way cool to watch.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #14  
There are probably still a lot of them in the US. My wife's uncle used to participate in one at a living history Museum outside Des Moines. He used a team of Belgians and a single bottom sulky. His family have been farmers in Iowa since the 1840's, and still are. With the current corn prices, they are making a bundle.

GS

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #15  
It's not just Europe that has plowing matches. Here in Canada we have a huge international one each year. Two year ago it was here in Peterborough. Like a city of machine nuts suddenly appeared. Brought massive amounts of revenue to our community. There was plowing (as you would expect) but way more. Imagine the construction and rural life style on steroids on display. Anyone on this site would have been in heaven.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #16  
It's not just Europe that has plowing matches. Here in Canada we have a huge international one each year. Two year ago it was here in Peterborough. Like a city of machine nuts suddenly appeared. I forget how many hundred thousands of them. Brought massive amounts of revenue to our community. There was competative plowing (as you would expect) but way more. Imagine the construction and rural life style on steroids on display. Anyone on this site would have been in heaven.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #17  
Here's a couple links to the best sites I know of for competitive ploughing match coverage.

Events

World Ploughing Organization

Go to WPO site, click on RULES. Now, tax time seems just a little less complicated by comparison.

Last edited:
   / What's with Europeans and plowing? #18  
There were both horse/oxen drawn, and antique tractor plowing contests early this month near me. One was at a working museum, and the other in a local farm field. Unfortunately, both were on the same day. In the last picture, you can see one of the visitors giving plowing the really old way a try.

Attachments

• Billings Farm Museum 017.jpg
    Billings Farm Museum 017.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Billings Farm Museum 047.jpg
    Billings Farm Museum 047.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Billings Farm Museum 027.jpg
    Billings Farm Museum 027.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 283
   / What's with Europeans and plowing?
When I was a kid, there were still folks around here that plowed their gardens with mules. I haven't seen that in years but I suspect there may be a few around.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #20  
Like these?

Attachments

• Billings Farm Museum 041.jpg
    Billings Farm Museum 041.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 213