What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine....

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #83  
I'm going to go ahead and give this thread a bump, it's got some good information.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #84  
I'm going to go ahead and give this thread a bump, it's got some good information.
Since you bumped it, I will add to it.

A mostly dead little tree on the back of the dam where we used to live:

P9110004.JPG

Pushed it over with the Gorilla Grapple by extending the boom:

P9110006.JPG
P9110011.JPG
P9110013.JPG

View from the seat of the root ball still half in the ground:

P9110014.JPG

Grappled the roots and pulled it up:

P9110015.JPG

It is out of the ground:

P9110016.JPG

The grapple has a good grip on it:

P9110022.JPG

Took it and the top that broke off to the burn pile:

P9110027.JPG

P9110035.JPG

Last edited:
   / What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine....
Here is another option…

Attachments

• A15803F0-1B8F-4621-8784-C1C61F0044AC.jpeg
    A15803F0-1B8F-4621-8784-C1C61F0044AC.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 2E1D9ACF-D5CA-48AC-AA70-6839EF020381.jpeg
    2E1D9ACF-D5CA-48AC-AA70-6839EF020381.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 59
   / What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine....
This is quick 45 second Timelapse showing the excavator pushing over some white pines

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #87  
This is quick 45 second Timelapse showing the excavator pushing over some white pines

That seems to work !! How big are those pines ? By the way - Nice EX.

gg

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #88  
I'm on a large very wooded property that I have been slowly opening up. In the original post by Piston, he mentioned that some trees which were "very stable" required a little loosening around the roots. I also use a similar technique on 6"-10" dia. trees but have found some species have a center tap root WILL NOT budge even when digging around the perimeter. Those just have to be cut and the stumps either removed by more extensive digging and pulling or stump grinding.

Some of trees here that are "stable" have a radial root system that can be loosened. My most effective method that I have not seen mentioned yet is to use a heavy duty sub soiler to tear thru some of the roots. On the larger roots, I hook them with the the sub soiler then lift with the 3 point to break them.

Always helpful to see how others attack these common projects many of us perform with the variety of equipment.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #90  
I've got a MX5400 and there is no way I'm pushing a tree over, roots and all. :ROFLMAO:
And I'm talking trees that a 6" diameter.