Wheel hoe

/ Wheel hoe #1  

tonyw

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1401d
I was just curious to see if anyone out there has used a wheel hoe, and if so, what results you've had. I've found a nice looking one at Johnny's Seeds, but these things are pretty pricey; I wanted some input before paying out a few hundred bucks for one!
Thanks for any help!! johnnys seeds

/ Wheel hoe #2  
I've never seen one of those, but I have looked at a wheel plow, which is somewhat similar. I thought about getting one of those to make planting trenches before I bought a seeder from the same company, Garden Way, I think. Perhaps they have a hoe blade to replace the plow. It was less than $100. Unless you're against motorized tools, you gould get a nice mini-tiller for the price of that wheel hoe. They are noisy, but they would also do a bit more than the hoe, since you can use them to prepare a seed bed, at least in soil that has been previously worked. There's a thread in the Lawn and Garden section about them.

Chuck

/ Wheel hoe #3  
Can't tell for sure from the picture, but I believe this is like what I have used. My was old with a large (2 ft dia) steel wheel and cultivator teeth behind. You push it though the soil. I works ok, but if the soil is weedy or hard, it can be alot of work. Also, it only cleans between the rows, you still need to use the hand hoe or pull weeds imbetween the plants. If you have a rotiller or a tractor that you can put a cultivator on, I'll wouldn't use the wheel hoe (too much work).

Larry

/ Wheel hoe
Thanks, Chuck and Larry! The wheel hoe looked good for weeding when the weeds are small; apparently, there are several choices of blades, hoes, and cultivators that can attach to it...and it is supposed to roll better than the old metal wheeled ones.
I was interested because we plant multiple rows within a 3ft wide row, with a pathway in-between. I was looking for something small enough to fit between these closely spaced rows--a rototiller is too wide in this case; besides i gave mine to my father-in-law and bought a bigger one to pull behind my tractor.
thanks again
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Wheel hoe #5  
Hi...

Bought a new one a few years ago... named "The Pig" I recall... can't find it now searching the web... so I can't tell 'ya where to get it...

It's a good design... hardwood handles... ~12-14" diameter cast iron spoked wheel... cast iron implements... have plow share... cultivators for weeding or narrow plowing... 2 types I think...

Works well for planting and weeding... easier & faster than using a hand hoe... haven't used it too much recently... but now I'm reminded I have it... so I use it !

Dave...

/ Wheel hoe #6  
I just bought a Red Pig low wheel cultivator from Lehman's Hardware. Try this link.

Low Wheel Cultivator

I ordered the 4" seed furrow maker attachment also. The 2" furrow maker is no longer available I was told. I like the old style metal wheel, probably dosen't work as well as the rubber tired one on the Glasser Wheel hoe from Johnny's but the metal wheel is just more pleasing to my eye.

I intend to use mine to make one last cultivating pass through the bean rows when I can't get the tiller in anymore.

Both are based on the Planet Jr. design so I think the attachments would be interchangeable.

Dave...

/ Wheel hoe
Dave, this sounds like the "Pig" the other Dave described.
Thanks for the info...now I have to decide what i want/need and convince my wife that i don't just want it but actually "need"it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thanks again

/ Wheel hoe #8  
Your Welcome......

If you get one I'm sure you will find it very usefull.

I used mine so far this year to make my furrows for planting. My rows are 100 ft. long and this made it so easy over using a hoe. I wish I would have bought one years ago.

Dave...

/ Wheel hoe #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just bought a Red Pig low wheel cultivator from Lehman's Hardware. Try this link.
Dave... )</font>

Yeah... that's the one I have... bought it from the manufacturer a few years ago...

Dave...