Wheel rakes

/ Wheel rakes
From what I can tell Pequea seems to be the manufacturer for both bush hog and new holland rakes. Please correct me if I'm wrong

/ Wheel rakes #12  
Listen to Jim. The high capacity H&S, Kuhn & Vermeer float better and will last longer tha the lighter other style rakes. They all will rake hay so if you have 20 acres of hay it might not matter but if you do 100+ plus acres of hay a year 2 or 3 years down the road you will notice the difference.

/ Wheel rakes #13  
Today was THE day for the parallel Bar JD 600 series parallel bar. Worked nicely in the 25 mph winds. The basket would not have worked in that kind of wind.

/ Wheel rakes
Looked at a Vermeer vr820. Love it. Probably gonna buy the Vermeer

/ Wheel rakes #15  
First....... I have never operated a hay rake (well maybe a couple of times), drum mower, or baler. I was around it a lot. ..... My father-in-law passed and I am now the head #######. He hayed for decades ....... and at one point sold all cattle and went to 100% custom hay work (rounds only). Most all equipment was sold several year ago.

I am trying to get set up for hay. My observations ....... he only used v-rakes on a 3-point. Every rake I see referenced above is on a cart/caddy.

What is the advantage of the cart/caddy?? It seems that it would be harder to maneuver than one hooked directly to 3 point.

Any education would be appreciated..... cart/caddy vs 3pt ..... thanks!!!!

/ Wheel rakes #16  
Pull type wheel rake will rake more efficiently turning a corner than a 3 pt type wheel rake. 3 pt wheel rake will just create piles of hay when turning even a gradual turn

/ Wheel rakes #17  
Pull type wheel rake will rake more efficiently turning a corner than a 3 pt type wheel rake. 3 pt wheel rake will just create piles of hay when turning even a gradual turn

Thanks!!!! I don't see why but I do believe you!! I guess the v-rake guys on a 3 pt end up picking up and putting down more to prevent the piles. Just a guess. If a pull type can prevent that it sure sounds like the way to go and have more continuous and efficient windrow.

Thanks again!!

/ Wheel rakes #18  
Clarification: towed wheel rakes do not handle hay when cornering near as efficient as bar(basket) type rakes but my H&S Hi-cap will come very close to same performance raking in corners as bar rake. Because rake wheels are powered by ground &/or hay the wheels tend to slow rpm's/stop turning in corners therefore hay bunches up in corners. 3 pt rake rear rake wheels tend to slide sideways on the ground in turns. Sharper the turn the more the rake wheels slide sideways.