Wheel spacers or weights for slopes?

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes?
Called and talked to Lonestar Wheel Weights. They have 60# weights to fit my tractor for $53ea. They are stackable. How many - how much weight - is typical when adding wheel weights? I don't want to buy too many but don't want to wish I'd bought another pair either.

Would 120# each wheel be enough or would 180# be better? I'm thinking 180# each wheel....

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #22  
Yes I do have a FEL - and no, it is not on the tractor when I mow - tried that once, NO WAY does it help. It reduces the level of slope I can cross drastically. Up and down, it's a must - sideways, no way.

I do have a QH and it stays on the tractor all the time, so yea it is adding to the leverage that the rotary cutter or finish mower act on the tractor.

I did kinda do the fishing line thing once a long time ago but used a motorcycle tie-down hung from the ROPS. I don't think this is very accurate (I'd say it's close and worth being able to see) as the area the tractor is sitting on gets crossed every time I mow with no problem or pucker factor. It's the area just to the uphill side in the pic from the rear that is the area that rolls up to about 25*. There is a tree just out of the edge of the picture. I've only drove across that next tractor width between where it is now and the tree twice.

It would help your control on sideslopes if the QH was removed during the mowing. It would not be huge, but should be easily noted in comparison. Combined with the extra width you plan, yould probably be comfortable -- perhaps to the point of doing it all sideslope. You might want to explore this setup before buying weight.

The up and downslope mowing options will always be under some handicap since the tractor does not carry any of the mower weight, but must have enuf traction to control its motion with no slip. Adding weight to the tractor is about the only way to help under that circumstance. The wheel weights or extra tire ballast are best options. 300 more pounds at the rear might be enuf.

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #23  
9L, those last pictures, I mow like that with my Ford 1600. Which is 2WD, with R-3 tires and wheel weights. It is close in size Id say to the L3800.

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #24  
I have property pretty close or steeper than yours. I have a tc 29d and went through the same thing .Finaly diced to build ballast box for fel and 4 inch wheel spacers .Turned tractor into enterly different machine . first time i put tractor on the not so steep part i could lift the up hill tire off the ground:eek:After the ballast box and wheel spacer install tractor is planted .:cool2:Got wheel spacers from bora or motor sports tec good product crap custumer service .It took three months to get right lug nuts after spacers were delivered.:thumbdown:Read all thetreads about pros and con of wheel spacers it boils down to usable tractor or spend another 20 thousand on wide machine .Didnt read on thread about anyone with wheel spacers going through bearings or other negative repairs.Only had mine a few months but it made mine a useful tractor.:drink:

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #25  
Obviously if you have a FEL the bucket needs to be as close to the ground as is feasible and having something in it helps too.

Mark

Clever idea on the fish line and weight.

Totally disagree in having stuff in the FEL for adding stability. Every pound of weight you have in the FEL (and the FEL itself) transfers weight off the stable rear wheels to the tippy front wheels. No way that adding more weight to the FEL is going to make that better.

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #26  
Do you really change rollover if you add 100# on each wheel? Maybe think about finding away to make a swingging weight that you swing from side to side. I know it sounds crazy, but just think about.

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #27  
Do you really change rollover if you add 100# on each wheel? Maybe think about finding away to make a swingging weight that you swing from side to side. I know it sounds crazy, but just think about.

Haven't read whole thread, but this crossed my mind too. It seems adding weight at the axle height with wheel weights would only lower the center of gravity (c.g.) , if the c,g. was originally above the axle height. If the original c.g. was below the axle height it would seem wheel weights would raise it (bad). Though in some conditions the benefit of having more traction and less side slip would be a beneficial trade-off.

Loaded tires would seem to lower the c.g. the most if adding weight.

Before and after widening the track on mine was like night and day.

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes?
Well, I placed an order with Motorsport-Tech for 5" spacers. I want to add wheel weights too and have a call in to my dealer to get a quote and see how it compares with Lonestar Weights.

Almost wished I'd done weights first and then got wider spacers if it wasnt enough, but.....I need to get this figured out of this tractor is going to continue to do the work I need it to do or if I need look at other options.

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #29  

Haven't read whole thread, but this crossed my mind too. It seems adding weight at the axle height with wheel weights would only lower the center of gravity (c.g.) , if the c,g. was originally above the axle height. If the original c.g. was below the axle height it would seem wheel weights would raise it (bad). Though in some conditions the benefit of having more traction and less side slip would be a beneficial trade-off.

Loaded tires would seem to lower the c.g. the most if adding weight.

Before and after widening the track on mine was like night and day.
The axle is below CG so any weight added that is centered at axle height or below will lower the CG. ... Sounds just like making the wheels heavier doesnt it? ":wink:

/ Wheel spacers or weights for slopes? #30  
Lets not forget, that once the tractor is leaning towards it's side,
as in mowing "side to side", on a slope, the CG is now changed.