Wheel Trencher

/ Wheel Trencher #11  
You can go watch power trac's video of the wheel trencher on you tube:

Power Trac PT1430 with Wheel Trencher - YouTube

Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 3.05.02 PM.png

/ Wheel Trencher #13  
Yes, but on mine, the motor will spin backward, but the teeth are welded on the disc, and the hub is tapered.

I could theoretically, remove the motor and reverse the mount and be able to dig fwd.

If I want to dig a trench, I drive backward.

You could however make up a hyd motor and disc that can be reversed.

You design what you want and a plasma/laser cutter will cut the holes for you, add digging teeth or stump grinder teeth and you are off and running.

Dig fwd or rev by turning the blade around and reverseing the hyd motor with a motor spool valve.

On the size hyd motor, I would guess about 4 or 5 cu in, giving an rpm of 601 to 751 rpm.

My PTO pump puts out about 13 GPM
J.J.,
Is yours a store bought trencher or, did you build it?

/ Wheel Trencher #14  
My trencher is a Power-Trac trencher.

/ Wheel Trencher #15  
Can the PT wheel trencher be used for grinding stumps? If it can cut asphalt, I would think it could cut wood.

/ Wheel Trencher #16  
I cut stumps with my trencher/stump grinder.

Need sharp teeth. Use green stone to sharpen.

/ Wheel Trencher #17  
J.J.
Yours actually is a PT stump grinder, right? I was wondering if the PT wheel trencher could go the other way and be used for stumps.

/ Wheel Trencher #18  
Mine was advertised as a stump grinder, but I have cut many trenches with it.

/ Wheel Trencher #19  
The PT stump grinder is 18" in diameter and is advertised as also being able to cut trenches up to 6" deep. The PT wheel trencher is 26" in diameter, I believe, and is not advertised for stump cutting, but it is advertised for asphalt cutting. I spoke to Terry today about it. He was not sure how well it would work one way or the other. The teeth on the both attachments are the same. He said the motor on the WT was larger and had more torque than the one on the stump cutter, but the SC turns faster. I noted that the larger diameter on the WT would increase the speed of the outer edge of the wheel more than the same effect on the smaller SC wheel. He didn't know the RPM of either attachment. So who knows? Maybe the teeth would hit the stump at about the same rate with either attachment. My reason for looking into this is that I plan to buy my PT 425 in early November and am fine-tuning my attachment list.

/ Wheel Trencher #20  
You raise good points.

A few people on the list have used their forks to pry stumps out of the ground. At least one person has bent forks trying.

I can say that the pry method works pretty well, but you want to be mindful of prying out stumps near water or electrical lines, where the root(s) might yank on something that you care about.

That said, you might want to go look at a tree stump grinder at a rental store. The wheel is a lot bigger, more powerful, and there are lots of safety shields. You might want to consider the relative cost and frequency of stump grinding. Stump removals aren't usually an emergency, so you can plan for it.

Because of my delivery options, I had to buy forks, but, for me, they have gotten a bunch of use moving pallets, unloading trucks, moving large numbers of milled lumber to job sites around the property. They aren't my most frequently used attachment, but they have been invaluable- to me. YMMV: reading this forum, I am always struck by the diversity of needs and uses that people put their PTs to.

Have fun with you new PT. :)

All the best,

Peter