Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I was looking to see if the brush guard & hood protector parts for the Kubota's big TLB were available as accessories in Kubota's "Build it yourself" website (they aren't) ....
when I noticed that the kits for adding steel wheel weights are still listed.

Some people prefer wheel weights over loading the tires, and it's nice to know there's an option available. The price seems not too unreasonable at $280/set + $60 for bolts.
rScotty

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #2  
Can't find on site, link please?
Thanks

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #3  
I like the idea better than filling the tires, just because it's easily removable.

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #4  
I like the idea better than filling the tires, just because it's easily removable.

Easy being a relative term. Rear wheel weights are not something the average Joe is going to install and remove any more often than fluid ballast. Not to say that it is never done, but it is exceedingly rare.

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #5  
Easy being a relative term. Rear wheel weights are not something the average Joe is going to install and remove any more often than fluid ballast. Not to say that it is never done, but it is exceedingly rare.

By easy, I mean I don't have to take it anywhere to put them on or remove them. But yeah, not exactly like popping on and off a 3-point implement.

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #6  
Pro tip;
When wrestling with wheel weights orient the valve stem at the top of the rim as a first step.

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #7  
I know my John Deere TLB110 says not to fill the rear tires with fluid. Something about extra stress on the hydro transmission

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs
   / Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs #9  
I know my John Deere TLB110 says not to fill the rear tires with fluid. Something about extra stress on the hydro transmission

My thoughts exactly!
Why add wheel weights to a TLB?

/ Wheel Weight kits for Kubota TLBs
My thoughts exactly!
Why add wheel weights to a TLB?

Good point. I dont know about the other makes so much, but I think in this case it is sort of specific to Kubota TLBs. Here's why I think that.....All TLBs - including Kubotas and the JDs - are designed to be primarily loader+backhoe construction machines rather than pulling machines like tractors. So they don't benefit from rear wheel weights and it might even be a detriment like the little general says.

Unlike tractors, TLBs traditionally have any additional weight added onto the front of the frame up by the loader. My JD310 TLB has about 2000 lbs of suitcase weights up there. Weight there helps the hoe work better. The backhoe itself has enough weight to give a TLB reasonable traction when pushing the FEL bucket.

But Kubota TLBs have the option to remove the hoe and become a more conventional tractor with a loader and a 3pt hitch. The 3pt hitch is optional, just like the wheel weights are optional. So I figure they go together.

Configured as a pulling machine - i.e. a "tractor" - it would make sense to have rear wheel weights. Configured as a TLB, it probably doesn't benefit from the extra weight on the rear axle, maybe even puts more wear on the machine, and raises the center of gravity a lot right over the outriggers where it does no good at all.
rScotty