Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing?

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing? #11  
Superduper said:
Thanks Ovrszd,

I think I will go ahead and just order the weights without soliciting input from dealer guys. I don't however, consider this a modification, as the weights are clearly specified in owners operational manual and they will be dealer parts, and optionable parts for this tractor. If anything, I consider this one of many variations of factory configuration depending upon how tractor is optioned. As far as overstressing the axles, I am not so concerned that 29hp will snap the axles. From what I can see, this is essentially the same tractor as the JD3720 (44hp) without the turbo. Even the weight is identical. From there, I surmise that the axles are in all probability the same in both configurations, for if the axles were more beefy, the tractor should at least weight a few pounds more. Since the 3720 has 50% more power, then the axle should be plenty beefy to handle the rather lighter power load.

Very good ideas. When Jeep people with 4 cylinder engines ask me if the stock axles are strong enough, I respond that the Jeep is also offered with a 6 cylinder that develops 30% more HP and torque. They handle that so they'll surely handle the 4cyl. Your example is the same way. I don't think you have any problem adding the wheel weights and I think you'll like the results.

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing? #12  
This is probably the most debated (OVER-debated?) subject in the tractor world. Any time you add substancial weight to any machine, you're adding to the wear and tear. But HOW MUCH wear and tear? That depends on the tractor and depends on how much weight. It also depends on what you consider "allowable wear".

It may take 25 years to see any measurable wear. (It may take 10 minutes.....) It won't take too long to see NEEDLESS wear on a tractor that's just spinning its wheels because it isn't heavy enough to do the job at hand.

There is SOME added wear to bearings, axles, tires, and wheels from added weight. There is no carved in stone rule that says it's always greater with cast weights over fluid, or vice-versa.

On 6 tractors that I've owned for substancial periods of time, I can account for around 15,000 hours of service in 35 years of farming. In ALL those cases, I've added fluid to rear tires almost as soon as they were in my possession. In a couple cases, I added cast rear wheel weights too. On several, I added front suitcase weights. SOme of those tractors aren't with me anymore. I know where 3 are at still, besides the 2 I still own. (35-1/2 years and 27 years in my care) With all the weight you'd expect to see on them, there has been no ABNORMAL wear from adding weight(s).

If a tractor is worth its bacon, it will have enough built-in integrety to handle weighting.

I've heard all sorts of theories on "flywheel effect" of fluid vs cast weights. Of center of gravity issues. Of axle bearings being stressed. Of, well, of every sort of theoretical problem under the sun. All the while, I've ran my tractors weighted to a reasonable level for years and years with no ill effects.

I'd say not having enough weight to perform their intended duties would be a MUCH greater "ill effect".

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing? #13  
Question ??? can a vehicle with no springs have unsprung Wt. ???
Just a Thought :confused:

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing? #14  
Timber said:

Good question!!! So what would you call weight that's added to the overall weight of the tractor without adding to the gravitational weight carried by the axles/bearings??? ;)

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing? #15  
Timber said:

I guess technically, all the weight is unsprung, it just doesn't have sprung weight, with the exception of the valve stem keepers. :D

Derek

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing? #16  
Henro said:
Mike, that seems contrary to what is normally stated here at TBN. Additional weight on the back end of the tractor tends to take weight off the front, countering the weight of the loader/bucket.

Did you mean to say that extra weight on the back adds stress to the REAR axle? I suspect so...

Henro
Not when you are lifting a load in a bucket. It is a fulcrum and a lever sort of affair. If you lift a very heavy load in the bucket and you can get the rear wheels to start comming off the ground, all that weight of the rear end and the tractor and the load is pivoting on it's fulcrum which is the front axle. This concentrates ALL the weight of the machine at this point since it is the only point still in contact with the earth. If you add more weight to the rear end to keep it from coming off the ground, you are adding weight at a long moment arm from the front axle. This dosn't lower the stress on the front, it just makes it so MORE stress is required on the front axle before the rear lifts.

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing?
Farmwithjunk said:
This is probably the most debated (OVER-debated?) subject in the tractor world.......
On 6 tractors that I've owned for substancial periods of time, I can account for around 15,000 hours of service in 35 years of farming.....
Thanks for the the input Farmwithjunk. As you can probably tell, I am a fairly new member WITHOUT 35 years o experience and nowhere close to 15000 hours of service use, therein my questions and post. I imagine that so long as this forum is in place, that this question will invariably always come up with newer members or with members that have not yet debated it or come across this issue....

Timber said:
Since it doesn't have springs, then technically no. But for the sake and purpose of the discussions here, I believe we are referring to weight which adds to axle bearing, or pre-axle bearingl. Hmm... perhaps we can address it as pre-axle-bearinged and post-axled-bearinged.

RonMar said:
Henro
Not when you are lifting a load in a bucket. It is a fulcrum and a lever sort of affair. If you lift a very heavy load in the bucket and you can get the rear wheels to start comming off the ground, all that weight of the rear end and the tractor and the load is pivoting on it's fulcrum which is the front axle. This concentrates ALL the weight of the machine at this point since it is the only point still in contact with the earth. If you add more weight to the rear end to keep it from coming off the ground, you are adding weight at a long moment arm from the front axle. This dosn't lower the stress on the front, it just makes it so MORE stress is required on the front axle before the rear lifts.

All true, however if one is so inclined to lift more capacity than their tractor is capable of, then it probably is better for the bearings to take more stress than for the tractor to end up on it's side or worse.

/ Wheel weights add stress to axles or bearing? #20  
ovrszd said:
Good question!!! So what would you call weight that's added to the overall weight of the tractor without adding to the gravitational weight carried by the axles/bearings??? ;)
Not chassis borne?