Ballast Wheel weights or filled tires?

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #1  

bowhunter3030

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4060hstc & Kubota B2601
Should I go with wheel weights or filled tires on my B3030? Where is the best place to get the wheel weights if this the best choice?

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #2  
I like filled tires because the CG is lower to the ground and it was cheaper than weights.

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #3  
There are several different views on this subject. Personally I don't like fluid ballast. When you change tires, you have to have it pumped out, when you have a flat there is a very good chance that it will leak every where and if the leak is slow it can rust your wheels out before you know it. You can make your own wheel weights for a lot less than you can buy them from a dealer. That is what I did for the last two tractors. If there are like mine, you can take put them on and take them off very easily. Here is a link to my wheel weights. They have 4-50 pound weights on each side for a total of 200 pounds per side. http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/65/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #4  
an interesting demonstration was performed at a field day a few years ago now, one of the state science depts was banging on about fluid in tires affecting fuel consumption. so they got a pair of 400hp tractors and 40' cultivators, dyno'd them and set the hp the same then weighted one with fluid and the other with a full weight kit. both weight the same. then sent them to work for a few hours. the one with fluid in the wheels got flogged in fuel consumption as well as the amount of work it got done. i know you dont have 400 hp but it is still relevant.
fluid is cheaper though.

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #5  
What is the explanation for decreased work and poor fuel consumption from fluid filled tires?

P.S.: I'd probably prefer to use wheel weights but Kubota seems to be under the impression that they are made of gold and they charge accordingly. When you look at cost, there's no contest even if it does decrease fuel efficiency.

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #6  
Last time I was at metal scrapyard, they had a bunch of old manhole covers. For the price of scrap-iron, that would be pretty cheap wheel weights. Might check in your area.

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #7  
N80 said:
What is the explanation for decreased work and poor fuel consumption from fluid filled tires?
Fluid doesn't allow the tires to deform to the soil to achieve maximum traction.

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #8  
HELLO,
I dont have the experience as others here,but i run filled in my little KUBOTA.Have had weights on small craftsman tractors.Cant see any difference except common sense tells me I got weight right at ground level.I wouldnt think rusty rims would be as big an issue ,now that most are not using calcium any more.Mine is a beet juice type fluid.Just had one of mine topped off last week ,bill says 3 dollars for a gallon.I have had flats without any leak,and ive had low air pressure where it weeped around the rim,yep it is messy,more reason to use an enviromental friendly fill
ALAN

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #9  
JerryG said:
Fluid doesn't allow the tires to deform to the soil to achieve maximum traction.

Why wouldn't they? The tires are not filled completely so the tires can still conform to the ground.
Something is still missing to explain the results.

/ Wheel weights or filled tires? #10  
There are times when I need as much weight as possible, then there are times (during mud season) I wish I could fill my tires with helium. Wheel weights are easy to remove.... Just my opinion.

Gary