Wheel weights refinishing ???

/ Wheel weights refinishing ??? #1  

skypros

Tractor
Kubota BX23S
I just purchased 2 old Bolens wheel weights for my Kubota BX23s
I placed the weights in rust remover....... and then used a wire wheel on my grinder to strip the weights to the bare metal.

1st, I assume these weights are "Cast Iron", and I have read allot of conflicting info on how to properly refinish them.

I went to the Kubota dealer and purchased a spray can of Acrylic Enamel (70000-73713) Bright Orange 2

I am asking here first, because I spent allot of time getting them old weights clean and down to the metal, and do not want to refinish them.... only to have the paint and or primer to flake off.

Attachments

• IMG_5037.JPG
    IMG_5037.JPG
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5044.JPG
    IMG_5044.JPG
    725.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5045.JPG
    IMG_5045.JPG
    856.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5047.JPG
    IMG_5047.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5065.JPG
    IMG_5065.JPG
    894.8 KB · Views: 121
   / Wheel weights refinishing ??? #2  
Paint em. They'll be fine. After all, they are stamped Bolens. :)

/ Wheel weights refinishing ??? #3  
I would just remove any rust and prime/paint with what ever paint you like.

I hope you used a respirator..paint that old can have lead in it.

/ Wheel weights refinishing ??? #4  
That's a heck of a nice job cleaning them up! As ovrszd said, just paint them now and they'll be fine. I'd prime them first.

/ Wheel weights refinishing ??? #6  
Wire wheeling makes the surface smooth, and makes it so the paint does not stick well. Media blasting would have been a better option that would have left a rough surface. You might want to try to rough it up with some sandpaper.

I would put down some Eastwood epoxy primer. It is a 2 part in a spray can and is awesome. I use it for automotive, and the best you can buy. Then any paint will stick to it.

2K Aerospray Epoxy Primer Black

/ Wheel weights refinishing ???
Thank You mike48130 for the info. I primed the weights yesterday
IMG_5077.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5081.JPG

/ Wheel weights refinishing ??? #8  
You're going to have some Bolens guy's drooly from the mouth when they see them. What's the weight on those..? They sure do fit nice.

/ Wheel weights refinishing ??? #9  
Those two weights look so very fine primed - I'd try to find a light grey semi-gloss or satin to finish the job. You did a superior job cleaning them up.

/ Wheel weights refinishing ???
Finally got the weights all finished.
Used 1/2" x 6-1/2" Carriage bolt to attach weight to the rim.... wish they made a 6-3/4" carriage bolt.... as that would of been the perfect length.
I also used some "leak seal" and applied it to the inside of the weight.... to put a rubber barrier between the rim and the weight.... Hopefully it will prevent the weight from scratching the rim.
The old bolts were only 6" so the garden tractor that they were most likely attached to was not as deep of a rim.
The weights fit rim PERFECTLY !

IMG_5098.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG