Wheeled string trimmer - good tool?

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #21  
We have a Swisher 6.5 hp string trimmer. It is one tough machine, but yes it is heavy about 100 pounds, wheeling it up and down the hills is hard work.

You got that right. Pushing around a 100 lb wheeled trimmer vs carrying a 12 lb commercial grade trimmer on a shoulder strap--not a difficult decision in my case.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #22  
We have a Swisher 6.5 hp string trimmer. It is one tough machine, but yes it is heavy about 100 pounds, wheeling it up and down the hills is hard work.

You got that right. Pushing around a 100 lb wheeled trimmer vs carrying a 12 lb commercial grade trimmer on a shoulder strap--not a difficult decision in my case.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #23  
I can't remember what my DR trimmer/mower weighed, but it rolled so easily that my wife liked it. The only reason I'm using a Stihl FS55RC now instead of a wheeled trimmer is price and the fact that I use the hand held string trimmer for an edger, too.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #24  
I have about 1200ft of roadside I trim, 2 or 3 passes, with one, with one end of the road about 150 ft higher than the other. The string trimmer is great downhill, but then I leave it there, go get the tractor, and take it back to the top in the bucket. I don't mind walking back uphill nearly as much as pushing the mower uphill.

I'm thinking of ways to hang it off the side of the bucket. And I'm looking for an affordable 3pt mower.

Bruce

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #25  
. I think the hp is much greater than a handheld string trimmer but I've never compared it in similar work.

it would have to be.. string trimmers have lil engines measured in cc's smaller than chainsaws.. my wheeled string trimmer has an engine as big or bigger than my push lawnmower :) thinking 3.5h

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #27  
Line lasts a very short distance, then its stop and put on a new one every few hundred feet
(from the one review for that product). That is what I was about to say. My experience with the 6.5 hp Craftsman hi-wheel trimmer was replacing strings at intervals of 20 minutes or less. I think this towable trimmer would eat string even faster.

That looks like a specialty product that might be suitable in a finely groomed environment, mowed weekly. But for mowing the sort of rough junk that usually accumulates along fence lines, I think it would just be a frustration to get off the tractor continually to replace strings. If it had some sort of bump head to feed out string then it might be ideal.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #28  
Anyone else soak your line before use?

I store my cut line in a PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom, full of water, fastened to the handlebars. I can usually go a full trimming session without replacing line. Mostly I cut light brush, very little grass.

OREGON brand Platinum GatorLine?

Important TrImmer Line InformatIon:
Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle, especially if subjected to heat and sunlight. To reduce brittleness, Oregon® strongly recommends that line be submerged in water for 24 hours.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #30  
i buy the heavy triangle profile 'red' line in 1000' spools from lawn stores or walmart.. whoever is cheaper.. it goes a few mor emiles than some of the round stuff... the price i save on the bulk buy is quite nice..