When did 2 stage clutches......

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #11  
Negative on that.. as the others said.

there was an upgrade available.. a pinion clutch could be added and gave you a 'workable' setup that let you clutch the driveline with the 'hand clutch' while leaving the pto going.. to shift gear or engage pto, you still had to press the foot clutch.

hyd version that ran of fthe nose of the tach drive was available for the naa, and a manual version for the N series.

660 was the first ford with a true 2 stage clutch.

soundguy

Just realized it was probably the '58 841 we had that had the two-stage. Been too long since I was on either one...

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #12  
Negative on that one as well.. the '4' in the 841 denotes a 4 spd trans.. single stage clutch.

a middle digit of '6' denotes a 2 stage clutch.. and on the later XX1 models.. a middle digit of 7/8 is the independent pto model

soundguy

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #13  
Is it possible to install a 2 stage clutch on a jubilee? Thanks fellas

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #15  
Sorta assumed that might be the case. I'm a complete tractor rookie but have some friends involved in machining and hydraulics so any info is greatly appreciated

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #16  
The short answer is no.

And the long answer is YES. Just change the transmission from the Jub's 4 speed to a later model x50, x60, x51 or x61 transmission. You will probably need the differential too as the brake cross over was different in different years.

The "change is more of a fairly large swap of parts, but if you keep the fenders and paint correctly it will be very "jub-esque". A big PLUS is the later tractors have a much stronger rear end (Jub was known to bust pinion supports).

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #17  
And the long answer is YES. Just change the transmission from the Jub's 4 speed to a later model x50, x60, x51 or x61 transmission. You will probably need the differential too as the brake cross over was different in different years.

The "change is more of a fairly large swap of parts, but if you keep the fenders and paint correctly it will be very "jub-esque". A big PLUS is the later tractors have a much stronger rear end (Jub was known to bust pinion supports).

Add the correct hydraulic manifold to the required component list. The short answer is still no, but it doesn't surprise me that someone had to come along and point out the theoretical inaccuracy of the practical answer.
By the way, an x50 or x51 transmission housing won't provide the means to provide live PTO or a double clutch, and installing a transmission housing with a later model and serial number stamped in it makes the tractor a 661 or whatever with an NAA engine and fenders.

Last edited:
   / When did 2 stage clutches...... #18  
I agree.. swapping the back half of an *60 or *61 is really just an engine transplant. ya might get a beefier rear axle if the donor was an 860 or 861.. but it's alot of work. better to just start with the correct tractor model needed..

soundguy