When has a tractor paid for itself?

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #31  
Well, I'll be. I somehow get the feeling that Thingy is calling me a liar. :)
To each his own.......

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #32  
shane said:
Well, I'll be. I somehow get the feeling that Thingy is calling me a liar. :)
To each his own.......
Shane, your story is very common and something that many of us who own major brands have also experienced. Fact of the matter is that some brands of tractors depreciate at a slower rate than others, some brands hold their value better than others, and you experienced just that fact. Your best bet is to use the "ignore" feature to block posts from folks who you find objectionable, or who may find you objectionable for whatever convoluted reason they may have.

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #33  
Bob_Skurka said:
Shane, your story is very common and something that many of us who own major brands have also experienced. Fact of the matter is that some brands of tractors depreciate at a slower rate than others, some brands hold their value better than others, and you experienced just that fact. Your best bet is to use the "ignore" feature to block posts from folks who you find objectionable, or who may find you objectionable for whatever convoluted reason they may have.

That's true.

Ever priced a Farmall Cub? They are selling for about 3-5x the price of new. Of course there is about 50 years of inflation ....

jb

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #34  
I believe it, Shane. Been listening to tales like that from my Uncle for 30 years. Pretty common with Green and not unusual for Blue (dunno about Orange)....iff the tractor was well maintained and not visibly abused.

Most were simple gear, 2wd utility Ag tractors. A different dynamic may be at work with high tech, feature laden CUTs. The design obsolesence cycle robs much of the appeal of clean older units. In other words, at any given time the new stuff may really be better.

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #35  
"I believe it, Shane. Been listening to tales like that from my Uncle for 30 years. Pretty common with Green and not unusual for Blue (dunno about Orange)....iff the tractor was well maintained and not visibly abused"

When I bought my 670, I paid $8500 for the tractor and a Befco RFM. The 670's went about $11K new.
When I traded in on a 790, I got $6K. The dealer who took it in trade sold it within a week for $7K. I kept the RFM, so that wasn't in the deal at all. That isn't much depreciation for a 12 year old compact tractor.

The older x55 and x70 series machines depreciate a bit then hit a plateau. The resale prices don't seem to drop after that, at least for the two series I'm writing about.

If you look on Machine Finder.com, you'll still see the prices of the older Deere CUT's right up there.

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #36  
It's hard to quantify when my tractor will have paid for itself. The money is spent, but I have a fine product and I know it will be readily available for many, many years of future usage.

It's hard to put a price tag on satisfaction, peace of mind - knowing that if I need my tractor, it will be there for me.

Lastly, you absolutely can't beat the smell of diesel burning!

Put a price tag on contentment my friend and you'll be calling Mr. Gates on his cell line!

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #37  
Doc_Bob said:
I bought a used TN70A, 168 hours. Now it has 308 hrs (less than one year).
I paid 22K for it. 140 hrs x 50/hr= 7K.

So, in another 300 hrs will the tractor have "paid" for itself?

Bob

I bought a new 21-hp (engine) Kubota B7510HST with LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket) in May 05 for $12600 (10% down, 0% for 36 months). Added a $600 King Kutter brush hog in Jun05.

I have 10 acres of flat pasture land with about 7-8 acres in weeds that I bought in Jan05. I asked around and was getting quotes of $500 or so to mow the weeds. That was a major motivator to buying the 7510 (plus the fact that I really, really wanted a tractor).

I figure that the trade-in value in 5 years will be around $6K. So to break even I need to do about $7K worth of work with the 7510 by 2010.

That shouldn't be too hard a task. Figure I mow a minimum of twice a year. So 10 mowings = $5K thru 2010.

Meanwhile I've used the 7510 to excavate for about 150 feet of paver block walkways, a nice 20'x20' paver block patio. Bought a $300 box blade for that work. Probably avoided $4-500 of tractor costs on those jobs.

Lately I've been installing landscape sprinklers and planting areas for grass and shrubs. My principal tools are a $140 middle buster plow (trenches) and a $300 used Yanmar RS-1200 rototiller. Figure I avoided at least $2K of tractor-related costs on that job.

Plus the 7510 has been used for lotsa general toting and hauling jobs, a great convenience tool. Avoided the costs and hassle of renting a tractor or hiring the work done.

I didn't buy the 7510 to make money, but I think I'll come out ahead financially by 2010, assuming no major repair bills after the 36 month warrantly period ends.

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #38  
No, not really calling you a lier,,your story could be true,probably is,,its just that that seems abnormal,,,course a fool and his money is soon parted,,and we all know they gotta lot of fools out there,,let me ask a question,,would YOU have gave him that amount of money for it?,,,didn't think so,,,,,thingy

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #39  
thingy said:
No, not really calling you a lier,,your story could be true,probably is,,its just that that seems abnormal,,,course a fool and his money is soon parted,,and we all know they gotta lot of fools out there,,let me ask a question,,would YOU have gave him that amount of money for it?,,,didn't think so,,,,,thingy
You have a funny way of NOT calling somoene a liar :rolleyes:

Quality equipment only depreciates a certain amount before inflation of new goods starts to bring up the value of the used name brand goods. It is common for many brands to hold their value. I've sold used equipment for more than it cost new. No different than John Bud wrote about the Farmall Cub. Oliver is another brand. But the brands don't have to be antiques to hold their value and many people have proved that time and time again with contemporary John Deere equipment.

/ When has a tractor paid for itself? #40  
Yeah got a funny way,,you don't know the half of it,,,,,whats with the picture of a snow thing,,[don't really wanta know,so you can save it],,,some people just gotta justify their very expensive purchase,,with this idea that they can resell it 10 years later and get as much money as they paid for it,,fantasy,I say,,,I got a 10 year old toyota tacoma with 160,000 miles on it,,,gave about 17,000 I think,,,,don't know what blue book is,,but to me,[it runs great,,no rust,,don't use any oil],it seems like it oughta be worth at least 7...8,000.....I bet ya I couldn't sell it,for 4,000,,,,most people just don't want old mechanical things unless they are into that sort a thing,,[or unless they knew the little old lady. ]
I wouldn't have gave that price for that machine,,not even close,,,thingy