When it arrives, then what......

/ When it arrives, then what...... #1  

Anonymous Poster

Pretty much done with my analysis thanks to the many fine folks who have helped with my questions--down to B7500 or B2710. Now thinking what will I do when it arrives--never operated a 'tractor' before. Can envision sitting in the driveway looking at it, with no clue as to what to do next!

Does Kubota provide sufficient documentation on using the loader and 3 pt.?? Is there an expectation of previoius knowledge/experience or dealer training (thinking of out of state buy)?? Specifically, hook-ups and do's and dont's of operation?? Ideally a 500 page manual!

If not, would appreciate any leads on good books ('tractor operation for idiots' would be ideal).

Went back and looked at the 2 above last night. One key question: Is the 2710 too much for primarily mowing?? Doing 7 hilly/rolling acres with lots of trees to work around (72" belly mower would be the choice). Other than this issue (and getting a good price), would go with the B2710--it's considerably more machine for the money.

Thanks in advance!

/ When it arrives, then what...... #2  
I'm one of those nuts who wants to read all the way through the manual first, and I'd highly recommend that to start with. Your dealer should go over a few basic points with you, but of course, different sales people do the job with varying degrees of thoroughness. After you read the manual, then if you have any questions, we can probably help you more. Just go slow to start with, stay off steep slopes, and if you get a front end loader, be especially careful about keeping the load as low as possible until you learn.

Bird

/ When it arrives, then what...... #3  
M - when it comes to safety, I just can't shut up. I am not trying to preach, only to help, honestly. Two points I would stress. If your tractor has adjustable rear wheel spacing, set them as wide apart as possible, including setting the wheels concave side out. If it comes delivered concave side in, you need to switch right wheel for left to keep the tread going the right way. Secondly, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear your seatbelt. This forum is loaded with stories about people driving under "perfectly safe" conditions which instantaneously turned dangerous. Happened to me - driving along on level land, when all of a sudden the right front wheel sank 12 inches into mud I didn't see, and tilted me and the tractor onto 2 wheels. Mark has a story about a guy who got attacked by bees and fell off his tractor and was crushed when he flailed around to fend the bees off.
I just thought of a third thing - no passengers, especially children. I do not even want to think about what could happen.
Fourth thing, again with regards to children - lower your front loader and 3 point to the ground whenever you park the tractor, so nothing falls on anybody.( I can just see a kid making a fort out of the space under your front loader)
I could go on and on. Like Bird said, read every word of your owners manual. Hopefully other people smarter and more experienced than I will pipe in also.

/ When it arrives, then what...... #4  
Observe the break-in period, and even after break-in, warm that diesel up at least 5 minutes before doing anything with it. Keep the screen in front of the radiator clean, and the radiator itself clean. Put tire sealant in the tires to prevent flats, especially if dealing with thorny material.

/ When it arrives, then what...... #5  
It wasn't me who first related the incident about the guy who got killed fending off a swarm of bees, but it did cause me to jump into the topic with vigor, as I recall. And I have referred to it numerous times. As examples go, it is a textbook case of that category of unfortunate events we call "accidents". And it should remind us how important it is to wear the seatbelt at all times and take other basic precautions. Suffice it to say that it will be small comfort to our loved ones if we manage to get out the last words "I wasn't wearing my seatbelt because I didn't expect that to happen". And since you brought it up, PaulB, sure it sounds like a sermon. If it saves your life, what better term could you call it?

/ When it arrives, then what...... #6  
The Kubota manuals are really good. Read them from cover to cover. They are written for the novice user and give excellent illustrations and step by step instructions.

I would buy the larger 2710 tractor. It certainly is not too large and can do a lot more work easier.

Do things very slowly at first and take small bites. Heed the warning labels - they are all there because someone didn't.

Everything on a tractor is pretty straight forward to operate. The three point makes a lot of chores much easier to accomplish, although they were accomplished when the horse couldn't lift the implement! It has gotten better ever since.

/ When it arrives, then what...... #7  
M. Sullivan,
I've only had my TC 18 since last June so I still remember feeling what you're feeling, anxiety! At about 16 I drove a friends old Oliver something, popped the clutch and pulled the front end briefly off the ground, that wasn't fun, no seatbelt or ROPs either. Then I had driven compacts for test drives at the dealers while looking only. I moved up from a 16 hp gas garden tractor with low center of gravity and I have scared myself on my TC 18. Once while using the rear scoop to move top soil around my pole barn I went straight up a slope to dump behind me and found that my TC could indeed pop a wheelie even in four wheel drive low, I was belted in otherwise I could have been foolish enough to jump off and then had a real problem. Once I got my bearings I just slowly dropped the 3 pt. and the front end returned to earth! Just wear your seat belt (like others said), don't take a slope sideways that scares you...don't worry, you'll know when it scares you, and use your head. Read the manuals (like others said too). Good Luck and have careful fun, JimBinMI

/ When it arrives, then what...... #8  
I sure recall that same feeling when my L3010 showed up last September. This was my first tractor and the dealer came out and spent about 2 hours at the house teaching me how to use and care for it. I poured over the manuals and was also able to find a safety video tape by Kubota through a man that runs a large landscaping business in my area. I don't know if your getting a front loader, but for me that added a whole different level of complexity to the learning experience. Just take it slow and remember that when you nick the shed, fence, garage and rock wall with anything on the tractor it leaves orange paint and there's no lying your way of it when the wife wants to know what happened.

BTW Steve Carver sent me some good information on 3 pt.
Kevin Mc

/ When it arrives, then what......
If you purchase your tractor from a local dealer who delivers, he will spend as much time as needed getting you aquainted with your new toy. He'll show you how to operate and maintain the machine. He'll show you how to take the loader & mower off (easy, but tricky the first time; same goes for the belly mower). If you buy your tractor from a distant dealer who ships it to you on a flatbed. . .good luck.

Customer: Hello dealer, I've just bought this tractor and I can't seem to get the belly mower on right.
Dealer: Have you looked at your owners manual?
Customer: Yes, but the drawings are a bit confusing.
Dealer: Our delivery guy should have showed you how to do it when he brought it out to your house. Should we send him out again?
Customer: We'll, I didn't exactly buy it from you. I got it from a dealer off the internet to save paying taxes, and the truck driver just dropped it off and left.
Dealer: Have you contacted your selling dealer?
Customer: Yes, but their sevice guy couldn't really help over the phone. Could you send someone out to help?

/ When it arrives, then what...... #10  
I understand your point but think you under estimate the abilities of a lot of people(ie: the average tractor buyer). You would be amazed at the things that people have been talked thru on the phone. I don't deal with tractors (execpt my own) but do frequently have to do phone support in my line of work. I have been able to talk people (some could not even spell CNC) thru some very complex things.....a heck of a lot more difficult than taking a mower or a loader off...more like rebuilding the engine on your tractor.... I have found that if the person with the problem had a desire to work thru a problem then they can generally be "talked" thru it (or maybe faxed a procedure) by a person familiar with their equipment. Just my $.02 worth.
jeff_in_nc