When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #11  
That's what the loader joystick is for...
Please remember that in the 2 seconds you have when it happens to you. zman

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #12  
that could cause a problem too. zman

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick
He stressed routine maintenance, checklists and frequent training drills as the best defenses.
-Jim

All true and I think the 'training drills' need only be the mental exercise of 'what if'....

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #14  
I had a similar experience about 2 weeks ago... was clearing a path into the woods with my L3400, using the bucket to push over and dig out some small saplings which were up to about 2" diameter. One broke off about 7' up, but I just drove over it. As I started to back up to make a second pass, I suddenly felt something starting to push into my back. The broken sapling had somehow poked up behind the tractor and was trying to stab me. Now I consider myself somewhat cool headed and fast thinking, but instead panic set in as the sapling started to push deeper into my back... it felt like it was truly going to impale me as I was being pressed against the steering wheel. All I had to do was take my foot off the reverse pedal and I would have stopped, but in that fraction of a second I didn't react correctly. What I did do was stand up in an effort to move forward away from this attacker... when I did that, the seat safety switch turned the tractor off, and I escaped unharmed. Point is, these things can happen so fast... it pays to think these things through ahead of time so hopefully you can react quickly and correctly. It also made me appreciate the reason for the safety switches.

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #15  
I had a similar experience about 2 weeks ago... was clearing a path into the woods with my L3400, using the bucket to push over and dig out some small saplings which were up to about 2" diameter. One broke off about 7' up, but I just drove over it. As I started to back up to make a second pass, I suddenly felt something starting to push into my back. The broken sapling had somehow poked up behind the tractor and was trying to stab me. Now I consider myself somewhat cool headed and fast thinking, but instead panic set in as the sapling started to push deeper into my back... it felt like it was truly going to impale me as I was being pressed against the steering wheel. All I had to do was take my foot off the reverse pedal and I would have stopped, but in that fraction of a second I didn't react correctly. What I did do was stand up in an effort to move forward away from this attacker... when I did that, the seat safety switch turned the tractor off, and I escaped unharmed. Point is, these things can happen so fast... it pays to think these things through ahead of time so hopefully you can react quickly and correctly. It also made me appreciate the reason for the safety switches.

Sometimes all you can do is get out of Dodge; my daughter in law had to bail on this one.

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #16  
Had a friend who lost an eye from a stick that came up over the front axle housing and impaled him in the face while he was bushhogging. I've always wondered why the manufacturers don't do a better job of screening the underside to keep sticks from coming up at the operator. But than again Kubota can't even keep them out of the BX's cooling fan.

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #17  
That's what the loader joystick is for...:thumbsup:

Oh, I've used that too. Works good until you try to push the stick left and jamb the "muffs" against the engine cowling :laughing:

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #18  
i was talking to my kubota salesmwn about the samething that happened to you,but doing differant jobs.an said if i got in a tight an couldnt stop,turn the key off.an the tractor will stop.

On my old Ford 9N I was driving up our road one day and trying to shift gears got the tractor stuck in neutral. It starts rolling back down the hill going faster and faster. Of course I couldn't get it in gear and if those tractors have brakes it was apparent in this particular unit. For some reason I turned the key to off and then I was just rolling backwards quietly :laughing:

So the tractor tipped over and I died. No, wait, that wasn't it--but that was in my mind as we built up reverse speed! I got it into the ditch and stopped it going up the side of the bank into some vegetation.

Sold the tractor and ordered a Kubota L2250 within the week, just as soon as the shaking stopped...

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #19  
:laughing:
Sometimes all you can do is get out of Dodge; my daughter in law had to bail on this one.

I remember this pic from several months ago but holy cats thank God she was alright!! Can;t imagine escaping that one. Still hope you gave her a hard time about the tractor though.:laughing::laughing:

/ When things almost go wrong... hydrostat pedal and a stick #20  
DavidVT said:
I thought I would share an experience from yesterday. No harm done but food for thought along the safety theme..... Sometimes we do things for years and practice makes it all seem right.....

While pushing snow in reverse up a large pile and reaching that 'hairy' point at the top where the backblade falls over the cliff, I lifted my foot off the hydrostat pedal and the tractor kept moving. Instant 'total panic' from blissful sunny afternoon plow operator. Visions of a flipped over tractor in the river behind this snow pile.... :)

I tried to jam on the brakes but the tractor simply loaded up and the rear wheels keep trying to move (low gear and 4x4)).

I stood up from the seat but the rear wheels keep trying to move and the engine hummed along.

Finally I pushed the hydrostat pedal forward and the tractor started to move away from 'the cliff'. (that might have seemed obvious but at that moment it was not)

Now all this took place in probably two seconds but it was enough to really rattle me.

For 5 years I thought if you took your foot of the hydrostat pedal that the tractor would stop moving as it always had. Not if a stick had jammed in the hole in the floor. __Lesson Learned__.

For 5 years I assumed the brake pedal would disengage the hydrostat. This was based on my impression that the brake will always drop the cruise control out. I never use the brake pedal except as a parking brake as the hydrostat pedal normally does everything for me. __Lesson Learned__.

For 5 years I thought if your hydrostat was in gear and you stood from the seat that the engine would cut out as it always had. Not if the seat switch is bound up from something and needs lubrication or replacement. __Lesson Learned__.

For 5 years I have allowed the hydrostat pedal to manage the transmission/ground movement which it always has. The clutch pedal was only ever used to ease the brush mower (pto) into motion. In this case I never even considered pushing in the clutch pedal to stop the tractor. __Lesson Learned__.

For many years I have enjoyed making this massive snow pile by backing up the pile over the course of the winter. Maybe not the safest thing to do just so I can make snow balls in July :). If I continue to do it, I need to be a bit more aware of the risks if things go wrong. __Lesson Learned__.

In closing for my example: the seat switch has been lubed and the stick removed from my hydrostat pedal floor slot. Also some internal scolding to reinforce that the clutch and range lever (N) would have been a nice alternative to stopping the tractor along with the key switch......

With a clear head, I don't think I was really at risk of going over the edge of this snow pile. The tractor had reached the point on the wet snow where the wheels were spinning due to the incline and thus were not able to pull itself over the edge. However that momentary powerless 'feeling' that it could happen was the point and source of anxiety at that moment. Both the safety switch in the seat and the self centering hydrostat pedal were defeated at that same moment and combined to challenge the 5 years of practice with this tractor and illustrate some perhaps bad habits. The result was a warning rather than something serious...

Happy New Year

I can see this happening I'm getting a new l3800 tomorrow so I'll keep what you learned the hard way in mind.