When to admit defeat??

/ When to admit defeat?? #1  

sgipson

Tractor
ford 3600 1974
I have a 1974 ? Ford 3600 that my father used on his 80 acre farm. Bushhogging has been the greatest work performed with some disking and planting. Dad died 3 years ago and I want to keep the place in decent condition but I spend most of my available time working on tractor.
I have replaced and repaired multiple items on the tractor and there is much more to be done, brakes,steering linkage and very erratic operating hydraulic lift. Question is how much to sink into a tractor this old and worn versus purchasing a new one.
There is a lot of heavy bushhogging and brush removal needed.
Thanks for any and all advice.

/ When to admit defeat?? #2  
That is a question only you can answer. If you have a personal attachment to the tractor then you can sink as much as you want in it regardless to wether it makes sense money wise.

If I was in your situation though and had an attachment to the tractor I would keep it and buy a newer economy class utility tractor to take over for the bulk of the work. Two tractors is an asset even if you don't need two.

/ When to admit defeat?? #3  
When I was looking at tractors I was looking at either paying cash $5K or so for an older utility tractor or floating a loan on a new one. I ended up getting a new one and I love it. My nephew has an old one and he spends hours trying to get it to start just to do a job (air the leaking tires, jump start, adjust the carb, starter fluid and such), me I go to the barn hit the key and I'm working in minutes. I've got enough stuff to take care of and thankfully working on an old tractor is not one of them....

If you can afford it you will never regret it....

/ When to admit defeat?? #4  
If I could afford it, I would get a new tractor that could use the same implements, but keep my dad's tractor for sentimental reasons...

Maybe not a complete restoration, but some maintenance if I had the time.

/ When to admit defeat?? #5  
Try not to look at it as a "defeat" but as an opportunity. I'm with Curly, if you can swing it I would get another tractor and put your Dad's on light duty for a while. When you have a little time, take care of what it needs to keep it running and if possible, restore to an acceptable level. Do you have kids? Think how cool it would be to pass Grandpa's tractor on to them. Maybe not quite the same, but anytime I pick up one of my Dads old tools, I think how he held the same tool and used it. Holds good memories for me. Also gives you opportunity to find a new machine that you can use without hassle and will be yours. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

/ When to admit defeat?? #6  
I think that I would take a different tactic in my case. That is to sell or trade off your Dad's tractor. I have enough projects on my "To do" list. And as I age I find that I really don't get around to those wishful thinking projects like I wanted to. So I feel guilty about things sitting around cluttering up the place. Sure it is nice to have some things as keepsakes. That is if they aren't costing me time and $$$. So in my situation I would let the old girl go and find something newer to work with. The suggestion to buy a tractor that will still attach to the same implements is a great idea.

/ When to admit defeat?? #7  
80ac? I think I'd get a good running tractor to do the work.. then restore the 3600.

I'll bet a nice 4000 would work out fine as a helper..

soundguy