When to give up: lemon law for tractors.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #1  

DianneInVA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I bought a tractor from the dealer in late 2013. Since then, it has more hours in the shop than in the field. I sincerely believe the dealer is trying to fix the intermittent problem...but so far, no success. The situation is unacceptable, as I can not trust the tractor to operate; there are safety concerns; work stoppages.... and just frustration. Has anyone had to say: ENOUGH. I believe Minnesota has duty-to-repair provision and the refund-and-replace provision of the lemon law that applies to farm equipment. Feedback on how you handled the situation would be greatly appreciated.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #3  
Before going drastic, I'd be very tempted to contact the corporate headquarters (assuming it was new) and request their assistance.
Documenting the problems.
All sorts of possibilities exist: a true lemon, known problem, incompetent dealer or whatever.
Corporate will always want to protect their brand if they are a serious company, and most are.

For all you know the dealer may be flying solo (afraid to ask corporate for help).
Generally a dealer has to attend training sessions and retain qualified personnel.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #4  
This ^^^^^ I've been involved in numerous instances of corporate involvement to take care of customers. We couldn't exist without them. Our dealers weren't shy about getting their service rep involved, who then kept going up the ladder until there was resolution.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #5  
I had a 95 Chevy truck that had a problem with the antilock brakes. I kept taking it back to the dealer and it slid the rear end 3 ft in the shop. They kept saying there was nothing wrong with it. I learned later that I should have gone to another dealer. The local shop I deal with now has even done warranty work for chevy to keep a customer happy. All that to say go to another dealer. There are many dealers that don't take care of their customers and you need to find one that will. Ed

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #6  
I just traded it in on another model. Went from 1025R to 2025R. So far, the 2025 is troublefree like its similar one, a 4010 in 2004, was.

The 1025 had warranty problems, but its FEL control was rather quirky, and the engine idled fast and rough.

Ralph

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #7  
there is no "lemon law" for tractors, but generally if there is an unresovable problem most vendors will financially help you into another tractor.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #8  
What is the problem(s) with the tractor?

My understanding oif a "lemon" is you could have everything break on your tractor and it still not be a lemon. A lemon has to be repeated failure that doesnt get resolved of the SAME general thing. So....are all these trips to the shop for the same thing? or something different every time?

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors.
   / When to give up: lemon law for tractors.
Hope it doesn't go to that, but I am thinking along the same lines.