When to replace chainsaw file

/ When to replace chainsaw file #11  
When dad was alive he would use a file and me a grinder. An old pro at saw sharpening told him, use a file one time on a chain, when your done, throw it out. That what he did and his chains cut really good. Almost as good as my machine ground chains. He use to say the file never felt right on the second chain. It just didn't cut even he said. After three or four filings he would give me his chains to even up on my grinder. They were always real close to perfect. He had a good eye for sharpening and angles. Wish i could say the same for my hand sharpened chains. Like Egon said, " I can turn a good chain into a piece of junk in minutes"
I sharpen a lot of chains a week and guys have told me that when i grind a chain, it cuts better than it did when it was new. For me, i threw the file away years ago . . . .John

/ When to replace chainsaw file #12  
I just bought a Oregon 510A last month and I absolutely love it. Never have my chains cut like they do now. I save the files for out in the woods.

/ When to replace chainsaw file #13  
Good question...What I do is keep a new file nearby. I will occasionally use it after using an older one. You can easily compare and it gets easy to throw the worn out ones away, then. Like night vs day.

/ When to replace chainsaw file #14  
For me I can feel when the file is not cutting. Little or no metal shavings when you tap your file on something to knock the shavings loose. I do a little logging small time. I do a lot of my supply purchases, sawchains etc. online. Wait till you see a sell and then stock up. Last month I bought German made Pferd files for right around a buck a piece if you buy a dozen. Try to order several things at one time to save on freight. Say if you need one chain now go ahead and buy two. You will need it sooner or later. Company I deal with usually has one rate for shipping. $9.99 no matter how much stuff you get.

/ When to replace chainsaw file #15  
<sigh> ... the pitfalls of living in a "disposable" society ... :rolleyes:

Fortunately, there is Old Sneelock and his Workshop ...

/ When to replace chainsaw file #16  
My chains cut faster than 'out of the box' after a hand filling. 5 minutes tops on a 72 DL or less chain. Throw the file out when it dull, 4-6 sharpenings...

/ When to replace chainsaw file #17  
"My chains cut faster than 'out of the box' after a hand filling"

WOW!!!!

/ When to replace chainsaw file
My chains cut faster than 'out of the box' after a hand filling. 5 minutes tops on a 72 DL or less chain. Throw the file out when it dull, 4-6 sharpenings...

4-6 sharpenings?! I must have about 25-50 on mine. I guess I've got my money's worth out of it and can afford to splurge $1.45 on another. Heck, maybe even two!

Even when I'm "just going to touch it up", "2-3 strokes each", somehow I end up taking 5-7 on each tooth until it "feels" right. Don't know why I do this. :confused3:

/ When to replace chainsaw file #19  
I don't know, you just know, you know?

/ When to replace chainsaw file #20  
4-6 sharpenings?! I must have about 25-50 on mine. I guess I've got my money's worth out of it and can afford to splurge $1.45 on another. Heck, maybe even two!

Even when I'm "just going to touch it up", "2-3 strokes each", somehow I end up taking 5-7 on each tooth until it "feels" right. Don't know why I do this. :confused3:

Same here.