When to Retire a Tire?

/ When to Retire a Tire? #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyway, don't let your tires get that bad before replacing them )</font>

why not? if all he was doing was mowing and they were foam filled then sounds like they should work fine. no harm will be done running a tire without tread, especialy if its foam filled so there is no chance of a blowout. you can bet that if i were brushogging with a dedicated beater tractor in severe conditions, i would run my tires till they wernt round anymore. a stick or sharp rock can cut a brand new tire just as easily as an old worn out tire, just ya dont feel so bad about replacing an old worn tire as ya do a nice shiny new tire with a 4 inch gash in it. as to the original posters tires, if i saw them in the junk pile at the tire dealer theres a good chance i would take them home and mount them on one of my machines if they fit!!! they look like they still have half or better of tread left on them, and i dont see any severe cuts or cracks so i would keep running them for another few years atleast, especialy on light duty like it sounds like he is doing, i mean if he has a 1 acre lot i dont think he will be plowing 1500 acres this spring and have to worry about downtime from a blown tire out in the middle of a vast field.

/ When to Retire a Tire? #22  
The tractor I use runs it's tires until the casing is wearing, it just goes through front tires too fast to replace them all the time.

Any time on pavement you should look for an R1W tire, they will last several times longer.

Some backhoe operators here have machines that live on pavement that have the R1W's they fitted at purchase and 6000 hrs on them.

/ When to Retire a Tire? #23  
Those are some ugly tires. I would dump them on looks alone.

/ When to Retire a Tire? #24  
Had you not waited so long, The tires could've been dismounted, and remounted on the other side, left front to right front,
to even out the wear. I do this to the equipment at work that gets driven on paved surfaces.
Gemplers, a tire repair/ equipment company has in their catalog, " A Cleat repair kit", so you can build up worn or torn Cleats.
Haven't used it, but sounds like it could be just the Ticket for Extending the life or traction on our Ag tires.
Would I replace your tires? Depends on the funds available. If I did, I would keep them as spares untill the new replacements
where changed out.
Lower than optimal tire pressures also will cause the tires to "roll under" in turns, creating this type of wear on hard/ slip resistant
surfaces. What's proper for Soft ground is not usually correct for the street.
Hope this has been of some help. For you and or whoever may need it. Lloyd

/ When to Retire a Tire? #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( dedicated beater tractor in severe conditions )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( no harm will be done running a tire without tread )</font>

So... What are you saying, Mark. Are you saying that OkieG has a "beater tractor"? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ When to Retire a Tire? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So... What are you saying, Mark. Are you saying that OkieG has a "beater tractor"? )</font>

no i was just saying that if i had one tractor that was setup mostly for brushogging i wouldnt ever change a tire that held air, im sure he wouldnt wanna go to such extremes with his tractor, but his tires realy look like they got alot of life left in them by my standards

/ When to Retire a Tire? #27  
Those have a lot of wear on the outside of the tire that looks like Toe-in, to much, Plus Ag Tires don't do well on hard surfaces. They look like they have spent a lot of time on hard surfaces and maybe in 4 whl dr .... I would them until they start to leak or they come apart! I would also stay away from 4 wd on hard surface roads and I would check the toe-in ....
Leo

/ When to Retire a Tire?
<font color="blue"> Had you not waited so long, The tires could've been dismounted, and remounted on the other side, left front to right front </font>

LLove,
Hey, that's a good idea. Maybe it's not too late yet. If I switch 'em and get the "good" side of the tires to wear so they look like the "bad" side, then I'll know it's new tire time.

OkieG

/ When to Retire a Tire?
<font color="blue"> Plus Ag Tires don't do well on hard surfaces. They look like they have spent a lot of time on hard surfaces </font>
Hi Leo,
There's a quarter mile of asphalt from my house to a cul-du-sac in my neighborhood. The developer has 4 empty acres there that are too low to build on. They are the dumping ground for all things organic. I also mow the grass margin around the cul-du-sac when things are growing. My rough figures come with about 50 miles a year on asphalt just down to the cul-du-sac and back. Been at it for 6 years. That = 300 hardtop miles more or less, sometimes with a full loader bucket. Unless I forget, the front axle is never engaged on hard surfaces. Still, that's quite a few road miles.

OkieG

/ When to Retire a Tire?
<font color="blue"> Those are some ugly tires. I would dump them on looks alone. </font>

Norm,
Ah, the Andre Agassi approach. I like the way you think! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OkieG