When to use, or not use, the diff lock?

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I have a YM2310. Being a two wheel drive machine it is easier to lose traction. So when I need to, when I get stuck, I step on the differential lock so that both wheels are spinning. I will also use the diff lock when I am going through an area where it looks like I might get stuck. I never use it on pavement or high traction areas, just loose soils, muddy soils, and the like. Most of the time I only use it when going straight but will sometimes use the diff lock when turning, but only on really low traction areas. Am I using it correctly? Is it OK to use it when turning if the soil is loose?
Thanks,
Eric

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #2  
Yep, Won't hurt it, might tear up the soil a bit but won't hurt it. Might also be a little harder to steer with Diff. lock when turning.

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #3  
You probably know this but Do not engage the diff lock if only one wheel is spinning.

Typically with diff lock engaged you can’t turn.

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #4  
And don't mash that lever. Think of it as a shift lever, nothing more. Forcing the lever won't help, it won't engage before the parts match up.

Nudge the lever down with one tire moving only *slightly* faster than the other.

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #5  
It's been a long time since driving a 2 wheel tractor, Doesn't hitting the split brake on the spinning tire shift power to the other wheel?

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #6  
It's been a long time since driving a 2 wheel tractor, Doesn't hitting the split brake on the spinning tire shift power to the other wheel?
Yes it does but diff lock keeps both rear tires spinning evenly. I have used a brake to help get moving if one tire is on short area that is slick.

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #7  
I have a YM2310. Being a two wheel drive machine it is easier to lose traction. So when I need to, when I get stuck, I step on the differential lock so that both wheels are spinning. I will also use the diff lock when I am going through an area where it looks like I might get stuck. I never use it on pavement or high traction areas, just loose soils, muddy soils, and the like. Most of the time I only use it when going straight but will sometimes use the diff lock when turning, but only on really low traction areas. Am I using it correctly? Is it OK to use it when turning if the soil is loose?
Thanks,
Eric
Eric,
When snow plowing with the blade in reverse, it's nearly 90% of the time used.
When turning gently, yes, when turning more or tight never.

Now, there is caution to be had. Should you be dragging a load behind you or even pulling up an old tree stump. Ensure the tractor is in low gear and use the diff lock. Never in a higher gear. Reason being, the front end will come upwards and flip over.

It takes a knack of getting the hang of the diff lock in certain instances. If you are uncertain or unease about it, take it slow while towing. If you are moving along with nothing in tow or pulling over deep mud, the use it. Yes, once you get the feel, the use becomes more obvious.

Creeper gear is another fun option on the machines too.

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #8  
I only use it going straight. Usually in deep snow to keep moving. Never use it ever when turning. I have seen too many axles broken in all types of vehicles, including tractors.

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #9  
You won't turn or will have a very very hard time turning with the diff lock engaged. Maybe in very loose soil will it turn where the inside tire can just churn and the fronts get enough dig to turn the machine?

I use my difflock while pulling my disk when it buried deep and pulling hard. It allows me to keep speed up and not letting one tire spin out. I step off of it if I am going to turn as it will just keep pushing me forward even trying to turn basically. Cant say I have ever used it bushhogging because I usually will have traction on grass and I don't bushhog in the mud.

/ When to use, or not use, the diff lock? #10  
I had some wet spots in my field that would never dry up, so when brush hogging, I would step on the differential lock as I was coming up to it so that the rears were locked by the time I got into it.