When tractor won't go into certain gears

/ When tractor won't go into certain gears #1  

485didriver

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 485DI
Noticed an issue the other day while working on my tractor. Seems my 485 DI is not moving at all in any of the low gear ranges, only in the high range.

I had an issue with the PTO coming out (broke a bolt head loose on the PTO Retainer), but have about gotten that fixed up. Dunno how long I had it partially out and didn't know it, so I might have operated the tractor without fluid for at least a while. Decided it'd be easier to work on the &^%$ PTO without the box blade attached, and was gonna just back up a few feet and drop it. I put it into reverse low and got nada. Ditto with L1, 2, 3, and 4.

I've read that on some tractors, you just need to adjust the forks or shifter in the transmission, and "reset" it, so (as I said in another thread) I tried to pull off the transmission case front cover and check things, but had this one bolt on the back center that was partially obstructed by one of the bolts from the control valve assembly.

It looks like to me that I have to remove the entire control valve assembly to get this transmission plate off? Really? If so, I can see why a mechanic might want big $$ to have to mess with it. The two bolts in question are tying one another up, so that you can't get a wrench to fit and still turn enough to make anything happen. Any advice on this? Am I approaching it wrong, or is there a simple tool that'll make it easier for me?

/ When tractor won't go into certain gears #3  
Not many 485s out there...the most likely reason no one has responded is that no one knows what it looks like...a pic or two would be most helpfull. You do have a service manual don't you??? If not suggest you contact Mahindra and get one. Also a parts manual would probably be just as helpfull as the breakdowns let you know where everything fits. sorry I can't be more helpful but I can't visualize what you mean. BobG in VA

/ When tractor won't go into certain gears
Bob, I don't have any manuals at all on it. That's likely a source of trouble right there, eh?

I'll try to get a pic of the troublesome area tonight and post for y'all.

Wider view from the left front:

IMG_1520.jpg

Closer view, showing how the horizontal bolt is trapped by the larger vertical bolt:

IMG_1521.jpg

/ When tractor won't go into certain gears #6  
I have a 485. Seems strange that it won't move in low range. Are you sure the range lever is completely down?

Also, the transmission takes 90w gear oil.

Yep, F350, it's not the operator on this one. Thanks for the gear oil tip, though. Gonna take a load of it to refill that compartment!! :D

/ When tractor won't go into certain gears #8  
Strange. I wonder if its somehow related to your PTO issue?

The tranny really doesn't take that much oil. There's a plug on the right side of the tranny that you remove to drain the old oil.

The plug to check the hydraulic fluid is on the top right rear corner of the tractor behind the seat. Do a search on TBN for 485DI and 575DI and you'll find more info.

Okay guys, update. Got the PTO issue resolved, and now I'm ready to look at the low gear issue.

Here's what I know: the entire low range will not engage at all. The high range will engage. The PTO will run in either low or high range.

BTW, F350-2, I want to be sure we're talking about the same area. I'm talking about the open area that extends from just behind the engine to the back of the PTO area, and encompasses the gears, rear end, and PTO stuff. I dunno what you consider a lot of oil, but it drained over 11 gallons for sure!

So, any gurus out there that can tell me why I might not be getting the tractor into low range?

/ When tractor won't go into certain gears #10  
Okay guys, update. Got the PTO issue resolved, and now I'm ready to look at the low gear issue.

Here's what I know: the entire low range will not engage at all. The high range will engage. The PTO will run in either low or high range.

BTW, F350-2, I want to be sure we're talking about the same area. I'm talking about the open area that extends from just behind the engine to the back of the PTO area, and encompasses the gears, rear end, and PTO stuff. I dunno what you consider a lot of oil, but it drained over 11 gallons for sure!

So, any gurus out there that can tell me why I might not be getting the tractor into low range?

Maybe a bent fork. Is there a neutral on the range shifter?