Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices??

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #11  
I'd sure go the hole saw route. Especially since there's a good chance of needing it again......by the way....use a good quality cutting oil......

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #12  
What's wrong with using an oxy/acetylene torch? A friend showed me how to make pretty holes with one. You mark the hole with a compass and soapstone and then use a center punch to make a mark every quarter or eighth of an inch or so around the circle. The punch marks are easier to keep track of than the soapstone mark.

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #13  
Some 1/4 rod and some clamps and you can make a circle cutting attachment for a torch. Bend the rod 90deg. sharpen that end and clamp it to the torch head at the right radius. Drop the sharpened end into a center punch mark in the center of the circle and around you go. Just remember to move your torch hoses as you go around. Running over them with the torch wouldn't work out so pretty good.

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #14  
   / Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #15  
You didn't mention how accurate the hole needs to be. Just a hole, use a torch. A hole saw will make a clean hole, but won't be very accurate. Annular cutters and twist drills will be far more accurate, but large sizes need a sturdy decent drill press.

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #16  
According to their website, they travel worldwide and purchase from "select" manufacturers...meaning Chinese junk, I'd guess.
Doesn't look like they do any manufacturing in house though.

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #17  
If you are in need of GOOD quality drill bits, try DrillBitWarehouse.com
They manufacture as well as distribute High speed, cobalt and solid carbide drill, reamers and all kinds of great stuff.
Drill Bit Warehouse: Quality Drill Bits For Less!

I got blessed this weekend,after "CHURCH" stopped by our local Sears and found a bunch of bits that I did not need but was not going to pass up on at like 60 % off on clearance.

DrillGuy : Thanks for info ! But went on their site and could not find any SDS stuff for my Bosch "Bulldog". Maybe it was me,I did not call them though.

Boone

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #18  
I have had great success using holesaws, and a drill press. Accurately mark and center-punch the hole-clamp the piece TIGHTLY to the drill press table (I use a block of wood under my holes to save the drill table and bit)-and drill SLOWLY; use plenty of cutting oil, this will keep from overheating the bit, and also give greater accuracy. Trying to rush tends to bend the pilot off center, or cause the holesaw to cut crooked. I have used holesaws up to about 2-1/2" with very good accuracy. I will sometimes, as others have suggested, drill halfway through a thick workpiece, then flip it over and drill the other side. That is, til I get the mill...

Dan

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #19  
I have had great success using holesaws, and a drill press. Accurately mark and center-punch the hole-clamp the piece TIGHTLY to the drill press table (I use a block of wood under my holes to save the drill table and bit)-and drill SLOWLY; use plenty of cutting oil, this will keep from overheating the bit, and also give greater accuracy. Trying to rush tends to bend the pilot off center, or cause the holesaw to cut crooked. I have used holesaws up to about 2-1/2" with very good accuracy. I will sometimes, as others have suggested, drill halfway through a thick workpiece, then flip it over and drill the other side. That is, til I get the mill...

Dan

Also:
To prevent the wobble=oversize, I drill the pilot hole (generally 1/4") and replace the pilot bit with a 1/4" pin as I found that the pilot bit was getting out of round and bigger due to the side cutting of the bits.
Ends up with a much closer 'tolerance' hole.
I also have drilled 2" holes in 1/4" stock.

/ Where can I get LARGE Drill Bits at good prices?? #20  
I usually go the 'tack them up and deliver them to the local machine shop' route.

if you only have two holes to drill, and the pieces aren't too big for one guy to handle, I doubt it would cost you more than 1/2 hr at shop rate... maybe less :thumbsup: