Oil & Fuel where can i get some trans oil???

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #1  

natem

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L-45
I know this has been talked about many times here. But I looked and looked this afternoon on here to see if i could find the post, but i can not. i need to know where to get some hydro/trans fluid. I checked today and it is at the very bottom of the dip stick. I saw the recommended brands in the manual, and went our local auto zone and they don't have any of them. Can someone please tell me where i can get some, and what kind they to use?

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #2  
Tractor Supply Company has 5 gallon pails of hydraulic fluid. Kubota and JD dealers do too if for any reason your Kioti dealer doesn't.

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #3  
I saw a 5 gal pail of tx oil at Sam's Club. Didn't recognize the brand. About half the price of what I have been paying. It would be nice to know if it's compatible.

C

/ where can i get some trans oil???
IslandTractor said:
Tractor Supply Company has 5 gallon pails of hydraulic fluid. Kubota and JD dealers do too if for any reason your Kioti dealer doesn't.
I am sure the dealer has it, but i was looking for some where more local, like auto zone or walmart. So it is just stright hydraulic fluid, no fancy numbers? Thanks

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #5  
Don't use hydraulic fluid, what you want is Trans/hydraulic fluid.

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #6  
ToadHill said:

That's right. I was being loose with terminology. If you go to Tractor Supply they have reasonable prices on "universal tractor fluid" or something labelled like that. If you look on the label it will list the major tractor companies (not Kioti as I recall). You can ask in the hydraulic or oil/lube forums if you dare but you are likely to be bombarded with arguments to use high priced synthetics. In general the plain universal tractor fluids are just fine for tractors unless you are planning on operating them on the surface of Mars or something like that.

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #7  
I have used TSC Universal in several HST's including my current CK30 and it has worked well.

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #8  
My local Napa store carries Valvoline "hydraulic fluid" and "tractor fluid". I use the "tractor fluid" as it is says right on the bottle that it is formulated for HST transmissions and wet brakes. Plus Valvoline is a brand I can trust. I can't remember the price but it was pretty good and I ended up buying two gallons just because.

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #9  
ToadHill said:

My Kioti Manual lists their approved brands for the LB1914. I don't suppose other non-HST models differ. I don't know about HST.

Some listed are:

Chevron - tractor Hydraulic Fluid (one gas sta carries it, but does not advertise - it's a word of mouth thing.)

Quaker State - Tractor Hydraulic

Union - Hydraulic/tractor fluid

I mention these because they all SOUND like hydraulic fluids, but in fact are transmission fluids which are also used in the hydraulics. I expect they are especially formulated for both purposes. No wonder the confusion!

I already have a supply for the next change, but at over $75 for 5 gal, I would like something a lot less pricey.

By the way, do you guys change the fluid at the recommended frequency? I changed mine at the required 50 hr and it looks clean and perfectly good after 200 hr. I don't know if it is invisibly degraded in some way. (I think the Chevron product I use is synthetic.)

I'm inclined to not take chances on brand and frequency because the fluid is so important for proper function, unless advised by a reliable source.

C

/ where can i get some trans oil??? #10  
I use the Chevron, I get it at a local bulk Oil supplier, It costs about $42 for 5 gal.

On My DK35 the recommended oil change after 50 hours is every 300 or 400 hours, I'm not sure and the manual is at the farm.