Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase #11  
sounds good. The ice clearing was an idea not a requirement. Thanks.
I'm onboard with espacef1fan as far as a M-F 2800 series tractor & a log splitter will tie up the tractor unless You do your wood in early autumn or late summer & I have 2 tractors that way I've got one to dedicated to the log splitter . But IMHO the M-F 2800 would have everything your looking for in a Tractor, Vahrenberg Implements has a good video on the M-F 2800 series along with other tractors series , & If I needed a 3rd tractor that would be the 1 I would get , I just wish I had the need. IMG_20201211_155800.jpg

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase
I'm onboard with espacef1fan as far as a M-F 2800 series tractor & a log splitter will tie up the tractor unless You do your wood in early autumn or late summer & I have 2 tractors that way I've got one to dedicated to the log splitter . But IMHO the M-F 2800 would have everything your looking for in a Tractor, Vahrenberg Implements has a good video on the M-F 2800 series along with other tractors series , & If I needed a 3rd tractor that would be the 1 I would get , I just wish I had the need.View attachment 703611
Sounds good I will check it out - thanks for the reply. The more I think about it the more that makes sense to have a standalone splitter.

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase #13  
First off the is no right or wrong answer. I think 30 tp 40 hp is in the right size. After you have a tractor for a while you will know what you need, but of course it’s to late then unless you trade.

People tend to recommend what they own. I’d start with nearby dealers and work out from there. It’s nice to stick with an established dealer that will be there for parts and service. Sit on tractors, see how they fit you and see if they will let you drive them around and try them out.

I prefer a stand alone splitter, that way the tractor can be used to haul the split wood.

Tractors are in short supply now, harder to find used and new both.

You might check out rear snow blowers. It lets you leave your end loader on and they are cheaper, but front mount is better if you do a lot. Sounds like you get a lot of snow.

First off the is no right or wrong answer. I think 30 tp 40 hp is in the right size. After you have a tractor for a while you will know what you need, but of course it’s to late then unless you trade.

People tend to recommend what they own. I’d start with nearby dealers and work out from there. It’s nice to stick with an established dealer that will be there for parts and service. Sit on tractors, see how they fit you and see if they will let you drive them around and try them out.

I prefer a stand alone splitter, that way the tractor can be used to haul the split wood.

Tractors are in short supply now, harder to find used and new both.

You might check out rear snow blowers. It lets you leave your end loader on and they are cheaper, but front mount is better if you do a lot. Sounds like you get a lot of snow.
The information shared thus far about mid-PTO and standalone splitter has been quite valuable and I appreciate the time everyone's taken thus far to share with me.

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase #15  
I just got this tractor Yanmar YT235C for the confort and
ease of operating is really great:

willy

Hi all

I ended up with an L6060 since there was one on the lot and I liked it very much.

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase #17  
What about a forward facing rear blower?

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase #18  
Hi all

I ended up with an L6060 since there was one on the lot and I liked it very much.
That appears to be a more common deciding factor these days...;)

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase #19  
My 2 cents:

I bought a tractor to clear a private lane (not counting driveway) about 1/3 mile long as well. That's it's primary use. We only get about 100" of snow a year. I started at 40 hp, and ended up at 45 hp. We tend to get dry snow in 4-8" increments. When we get the rare early or late Nor'Easter that drops 12+ inches of wet snow, I sometimes wish for 50-55 hp. It's rare enough that I think 45 hp was the right size. But, depending on your snow conditions, it may be very different for you. You might want more than 40 hp.

A front mount blower would be awesome (I imagine) but they are expensive and, more importantly, remove the loader function. I too burn wood (about 8 full cord a year). A big use of the tractor is moving wood from the woodshed to the garage. I built some wood racks on casters that I stack wood on at the wood shed, then move them into the garage with the tractor using pallet forks. A front blower would not allow this, which was a deal killer for me. Your situation may differ, but consider if the tractor can be used to expedite other tasks like moving wood, and how that will influence the functionality of a front mount blower. I don't find looking behind while snow blowing too difficult/annoying. Ask me in another 20 years when I'm older and I might give you a different response. Again, consider your unique situation.

Why not get a small walk behind unit to clear the lake for hockey? It can double for touch up work around the house.

/ Where do I start? Long road ahead - first tractor purchase #20  
Hi all

Congrats!
That’s a heck of a Tractor! Great choice!

Mike