Where do you keep your tractor?

/ Where do you keep your tractor?
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. Right now my brand new 2910 is outside. I am going to throw some tarps on it this evening because we may have some showers tomorrow. I am thinking emergency barn construction. Does anyone have experience with Morton buildings? I have a sales person calling me either today or tomorrow.

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #22  
Right now I keep my 4200 in my friend's garage, until my house is finished and I can put it in my garage. It'll have to share a bay with my 67 MGB, I hope they are close friends! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I hope to build a detached garage / shop in the near future, then they will both have their own space. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #23  
I built a shed for my tractor with a sliding barn door. Leaving a tractor out will eventually give you problems with your guages, seat and steering wheel. Not to mention your tires will crack from being in the sun. Of course, this will take years, but it definitely decreases the tractors value after a while. I left my 200 outside for the longest time becuase there was no place for it. A big tarp is a pain, but it's worth it. I guess it just boils down to how much care you are willing to give it.

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #24  
Paul,

When I fold the ROPS back on my B2910, I place the locking bolts in the threaded holes behind the hinge. This keeps the ROPS from folding back all the way. I had a problem with the ROPS resting on the backhoe controls, but this seemed to cure that. Is that what you do?

On another point, I might be more worried about the scratches and damage a tarp (especially if dirt gets between the tarp and the tractor) might cause to the paint on the tractor than a little exposure to rain. Assuming you've put a good coat of wax on your tractor (You DID wax it, didn't you?), I wouldn't worry too much about a little rain in the short term. Fading damage from the sun might be more of a concern.

Personally, I keep the tractor in the garage and my 14 year old car (160k+ miles, but in excellent condition) outside. Even if the car was newer, I'd still give the space to the tractor. In 5 years, a tractor will have depreciated far less than a car. I gotta make the tractor last the rest of my (hopefully long) life. I'll probably get another car in 5 - 10 years or so.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #25  
You know, you could do a quicky using 16' 4x4's.. sink em about 4-5 foot in. Then, use 2x6's or 2x4's to make runners down the long sides. And use 2x4's across as supports for roofing tin. They make the tin in many varieties I like 26" ( 24" with overlap '5V' style.. comes in lengths from 6' to ??

An easy one would be 4 4x4's.. could be square, or rectangular. You will want a roof pitch to shed water. a longer one can be done by adding another couple 4x4's

I've made many of these on my property as sun shades for the animals. For ease, you can use the metal hanger hardware, for the 2x4's, they have built in guides for toenailing, etc.

You should be able to put one of these up in a day easy, counting the trip to lowes.

If all you need is temporary, you can throw a square, or small rectangle ( 4 post ) up for probably 320 bucks ... , for something like a 10 x 12, w/ 2x6 side rails and front /rear cap 2x6, and 2x4 braces for the tin ( 2' apart is fine for the braces.)( remember, front and rear 2x6 brace acts as leading and ending edge for the tin, leaving only 5 more cross braces needed to make up the 2' spacing down the 12' length. (4) 4x4 16' posts,( 5) sheets of 24" x 12' tin, (2) 10' 2x6, and (2 0 12' 2x6, and ( 7 ) 10'4's... ( 5 ) of them for tin braces, and (2) cut into 2.5' pieces as braces for sway on all 4 corners.

I built one exactly like this. Also, I used a caulking gun, and cheap mastic caulk to join the seams on the roof tin, and this also figures the roofing nailes with the little rubber piects for sealing, some 10penny nails, and the hardware straps if you need them.. That is approx. what I paid... put it up pretty quick too.... if you had help.. even a kid or a wife, it foes up 1.5x faster.

This is a cheapy friction pile structure if anyone asks you.. in some agricultural places, permits arent even needed for a structure like this... in my county it wasn't anyway.

Soundguy

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #26  
Mine is kept in the garage - I tell the better half that it needs to be in there in case we get a big snow storm! We need to be able to clear the driveway! (Never mind that we live in a residential subdivision). It helps that it is a "baby" 'Bota - BX2200.

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #27  
I've read a few of these threads, and have decided to lend my years of storage expertise to this latest conversation.

You just can't beat that old standby, the <font color=blue>Maine State Flag</font color=blue>, and a handful of bungees. As you can see, they weather to a nice sky blue patina, just before they shred. The red painted stockade fence sections provide a nice contrast to the blue, and have lessened the complaints from my lovely wife considerably. Evidently, ladies (at least the one I will spend my life with) are able to practice selective object permanence, and forget something is there if they can't see it.

The Corolla is gone (my wife danced in the back yard0. The sailboat and Trooper need repair. The other stuff is canoes, lots of garden stuff, and a '71 GMC truck chassis loaded with steel, small engine parts, and what not, which will either become my firewood trailer, or a rolling wood & steel stock storage unit (sounds hi-teck, don't it? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif). Also evident is the ever present, always useful pallet collection. The stakes in the foreground mark a 20' square for a shed awaiting gravel placement, which has been done since this Spring picture. We are collecting discarded utility poles - have 8 now from 20' to 26' - to put up a three bay pole barn as an extension of the shed, or maybe we'll get creative and use the poles to frame a sort of post & beam structure, using rough sawn 2" stock let into the poles with a chainsaw & lag bolted.

But the point is the <font color=blue>MSF's</font color=blue>. They're wicked cheap. Oh, and I almost forgot - lots of baling twine because bungees are expensive - I save those for the often used stuff, like the wood pile and the tractor. I also have a lovely 16'x20' orange one we use when camping - Deb says she's gotten used to the refugee look - I used to use clear poly before I got money.

Let me know if any of you need further technical advice.

/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 47-183286-BlueBarn.jpg
    47-183286-BlueBarn.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 127
   / Where do you keep your tractor?
That is way too funny /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #29  
I keep mine in an oversized shed I call *the barn* ( I really will build one some day). In that *barn* is the tractor, the RFM, a riding mower for the wife, 2 push mowers (just because I know they both run) a broadcast spreader, the grass catcher for the rider, the carry-all, a snow blade for the rider which we no longer use, the chain saw and chains, tiller and a mini-tiller.....man I could go on forever. And it's only 12X20

/ Where do you keep your tractor? #30  
<font color=blue>...Does anyone have experience with Morton buildings?...</font color=blue>

In our area, Morton buildings are excellent quality, the crews normally stay the same with meticulous workmanship... but very pricy...