Where do you place jack???

/ Where do you place jack??? #11  
RoyJackson said:
I place a floor jack directly under the draw bar bracket for jacking. You're know soon enough if it's positioned correctly. Once high enough, I place a jack stand under both sides of the rear axle and lower the floor jack just enough to seat the axles on the jackstands.
The draw bar bracket under the Deere 790 is robust and can take the load. You can always put a piece of wood between the jack and bracket if you're worried about damaging the bracket.

What Roy said.

/ Where do you place jack??? #12  
Farmwithjunk said:
What Roy said.

I've done that many times. worjs fine. BTW another good reason to \have a backhoe, no jacks needed, stabilizers lift tires just fine.

Andy

/ Where do you place jack??? #13  
john_bud said:
Use 2 stout (and I mean stout, 8-10 ton) stands. One under each axle. Jacks are used to jack, not support. After taking off one wheel, the tractor will want to pivot and can quickly do bad things.

If you're married, go show your wife this thread and let her know you were about to do something that was almost certain to end in a broken something. Tractor, bones, or even death. That way she can either way way up your life insurance, or slap some sense into ya. (Her choice).

I agree that jacks are meant to jack not to support. But John, this is a 3000 lb tractor and your only talking 1/4 of that on each jackstand, Even for me, Mr Safety a 20,000 pound jackstand seems a little overkill for a 750 pound load.
Andy

/ Where do you place jack??? #14  
AndyMA said:
I agree that jacks are meant to jack not to support. But John, this is a 3000 lb tractor and your only talking 1/4 of that on each jackstand, Even for me, Mr Safety a 20,000 pound jackstand seems a little overkill for a 750 pound load.
Andy

Man's being proactive for buying a larger tractor!
Seriously, a good quality set of jackstands is worth it, IMHO.

I've done that many times. worjs fine. BTW another good reason to \have a backhoe, no jacks needed, stabilizers lift tires just fine.

Andy

I just wish I could afford a $4000 plus backhoe to lift the rear of my 790!

/ Where do you place jack??? #15  
AndyMA said:
Andy

It's not about the vertical support. It's about the lateral support. When (not if) the tractor starts to tip to the side a "correctly" rated stand will twist and fold up like an accordion. You have to get up to the big ol' heavy dudes to be able to support that type of dynamic side load. If you've ever seen one fail, you wouldn't question for a moment.

Also, they will typically have the ratchet type adjustment. MUCH nicer to just position and lift to set height. No diddling around with pins. Same for removal, just take off the weight, flip the lever up and slide them out. Minimizing the time under is important to me.

/ Where do you place jack??? #16  
AndyMA said:
Andy

LOL @ 20,000 pounds to lift 750 pounds.