where from???

/ where from??? #11  
Timber said:
Made in Japan it literal not physical. The world does business on a global scale these days. Most all company's have assembly plants in every country they do business in including US built items. Made in Japan only means that is where the corporate head of the snake is not where it is physically built. If you bought it in the united states it was probably built hear. If you buy a Ford pickup in Japan it was probably built in Japan. The most popular items produced and sold are usually built where they are sold. It is only the high end models that are actually imported. Importing cost is way too high build overseas, it is much cheaper to build an assembly plant where you sell your products. Business is Business

Actually, all the TVs and other electronics for the most part are made overseas and built overseas. I lot of components are manufactured where they can be the cheapest and then larger components are produced and then sent to the assembly site, which now is typically by continenct. That is why you can get a car that is made in Canada/Mexico/US and it has components made in a lot of other countries. Strange things is that a lot of circuitry is made here, sent overseas integrated with other devices into components and then sent back here for final assembly. Final assembly can be as simple as putting the wheels and seats on a tractor to total assembly of a group of components.

/ where from??? #12  
Nuru said:
Actually, all the TVs and other electronics for the most part are made overseas and built overseas. I lot of components are manufactured where they can be the cheapest and then larger components are produced and then sent to the assembly site, which now is typically by continenct. That is why you can get a car that is made in Canada/Mexico/US and it has components made in a lot of other countries. Strange things is that a lot of circuitry is made here, sent overseas integrated with other devices into components and then sent back here for final assembly. Final assembly can be as simple as putting the wheels and seats on a tractor to total assembly of a group of components.

I did consulting with GE on and off...watched them close their Portsmouth, VA facility after they bought RCA...and then I read this article of what happened to the guys who moved from VA to IN...:(

RCA parent's abrupt move puts 990 out of work; shutdown ends era of TV manufacturing in state

March 17, 2004

MARION, Ind. -- At 10:20 a.m. Tuesday morning, Enett Balderas was working on the line that bakes glass for television picture tubes at the Thomson plant here when her supervisor walked over with some devastating news.

The massive plant was shutting down. Immediately. She and her 989 fellow employees in Marion were out of jobs.

"We're done," the supervisor told Balderas. "I'm not messing with you."

Tuesday also made Indiana history.

The closing marks the end of the company's 75-year history of making radios and televisions in Indiana. RCA, later bought by Thomson, purchased a radio tube plant in Indianapolis in 1929. Since then, its factories have produced millions of radios, black-and-white and color television sets and the components inside them at plants in Bloomington, Indianapolis and Marion. Just 15 years ago, the 50 millionth RCA color TV was built in Bloomington -- at that time the world's largest TV assembly plant.

Thomson's announcement surprised and angered many of its 990 Marion employees. Also caught off guard were city and state officials, including Gov. Joe Kernan.

Company spokesman Dave Arland said Thomson's operations in Carmel were not impacted. That building houses the North American consumer-product headquarters and employs 1,000, although it also has eliminated a couple hundred workers in the past year, many through buyouts.

Company officials said the Marion jobs were being eliminated, not transferred overseas. But these Marion workers clearly lost their jobs because of the movement of television manufacturing out of the United States, consumer demand for low prices and changes in television technology.

In Marion, people had been talking about the possibility that the plant, which employed 2,470 workers at its peak in October 1994, might lose more work. That concern was stoked by last summer's dismissal of almost half its work force -- 820 workers.

But workers interviewed here Tuesday say they expected a complete closure would not be coming soon -- even after the company opened a Mexican picture tube plant a few years ago and launched a joint venture in China in November.

Thomson's decision thrusts Marion, also home to a major General Motors Corp. metal stamping plant, into the center of the policy -- and political -- debate in Indiana about how to stem the loss of manufacturing jobs. The state has shed about 95,000 factory jobs since 2000.

Kernan immediately dispatched a rapid-response team from the state Department of Workforce Development. His rivals dispatched pointed comments, contending Kernan's lack of leadership contributed to the plant's closing.

The governor also said he was dismayed by the secrecy surrounding the announcement and the way employees were allowed to come to work and then be sent home. He said his office received confirmation only around midday Tuesday.

"It's unfortunate that people showed up at work this morning and apparently had no idea that this was coming," Kernan said.

Marion Mayor Wayne Seybold added he "didn't see it coming" until he was notified at noon Tuesday.

Thomson spokesman Richard Knoph said the short notice was the product of the way the decision was made.

A cost-cutting proposal was put before the Thomson board in Paris on Friday, he said. The board decided to let the company's top executives, through its investment committee, make the final call. That committee met Monday night, Paris time, or Monday afternoon in Indiana. Thomson officials at the North American headquarters near Carmel weren't notified until Tuesday morning and then began making calls to union and public officials.

Besides the Marion plant, a Thomson plant that makes glass for picture tubes in Circleville, Ohio, also will be shuttered in three months, putting 545 people out of jobs.

Thomson blamed the shutdown on the slow U.S. economy, which is limiting American sales of Thomson-made television sets. Thomson projects an 11 percent sales decline from 2000 to 2006.

But the job loss has international roots.

The same kind of picture tubes made in Marion are built at a Thomson plant in Mexicali, Mexico. That facility began production in September 2001. The 1,850 people there make an average hourly wage of $2.30. The 865 hourly workers left at the Marion plant earned, on average, $15.98 an hour. Still, Knoph said, the pay at the Mexico plant, along the border with California, is several times what a Mexican worker makes in the central part of that country.
Knoph also confirmed that two of the tube manufacturing lines, ones shut down with last year's layoffs, are headed overseas. One is going to a plant in China owned by Thomson.

"We are expanding in China," he said, and it is more cost-effective to have the tubes made near the Chinese plants that assemble televisions for the Chinese market.

None of that provided solace for the employees at the Marion plant, who will be paid and keep their benefits for 90 days -- 30 more than required by federal law for major plant closings -- and receive job counseling and placement help starting Monday.

"It's so unreal the way they told us," said the glass-line worker Balderas. "They could have told us a different way, like at the end of the shift."

Balderas, 42, a Marion resident and 16-year employee, had come in especially early Tuesday to start her shift in the glass-baking area at 3 a.m.

Company officials conducted formal meetings to notify employees.

Dan Strausbaugh, 55, a second-shift electrician who lives in Gas City, got the news in a phone call from a friend who was at the plant about 11 a.m.

He still showed up at the plant for his shift, but with nothing to do, retreated to Good Time Charlie's, a bar neighboring the factory that advertised a Mexican dinner special on its Adams Street sign Tuesday.

"What's wrong with this country is that NAFTA thing," Strausbaugh said about an early 1990s trade agreement that eased imports flowing among Canada, Mexico and the United States.

He said politicians need to act.

"The only solution I can see is they shouldn't let companies go out of this country and make things to sell back here," Strausbaugh said. "If you're not working, are you going to buy anything? No."

Republican gubernatorial hopeful Mitch Daniels offered consolation for the Marion workers, but the state GOP chairman was more biting.

"Announcements like today's reinforce why our state needs new leadership," Jim Kittle said in a written statement. "We need a governor who knows how to help businesses grow and prosper in Indiana -- not a governor who sits idly by as more businesses close their doors."

Eric Miller, also seeking the GOP nomination for governor, said: "We can't write off manufacturing jobs. It just looks like too many leaders are writing them off."

He also said the way the layoffs were handled "raises some serious questions."

However, while it was unusual, a national expert on layoffs said the Thomson strategy was likely better for the workers in the long run.

John Challenger, head of one of the largest outplacement companies in the country, said forcing people to begin working on their future might be better than announcing a plant will close in a few months.

"I can't tell you how many people don't begin to look at a search seriously until they leave the plant," said Challenger, of Challenger, Gray & Christmas in Chicago.

At the plant, such advice would have likely fallen on deaf ears.

"This was a bombshell. They gave us no notice whatsoever," said Paul Warner, 37, a Marion resident employed for 15 years at the plant.

Warner, who is divorced and just bought a three-bedroom house for himself, now isn't sure what he'll do.

"There aren't too many jobs out there today."

/ where from??? #13  
Yeah the "Globalization" of business really sucks for the heart and soul workers of our country. Corps are making more profit but the number of people that can buy the products in the US is going down due to job loss. Apparently they hope to make up these sales downturn in certain countires as their populations start getting more jobs, however, the markets will not rise as fast as the US market can. At some point I hope to see a reversal of this current trend of outsourcing of US jobs to countries who have elements within them that really do not have our best interest even considered.

Toy contaminated with 'date rape' drug pulled - CNN.com
I don't see how that is a mistake and some one wanted to try to embarras both the US and Chinese governments with this move.

Also the use pesticides banned in the US, in the farming of projducts overseas that are imported is also somethng that bugs the crap out of me. We can produce al the farming products internally and we are not, thus making us vulnerable.

Ok, i am off of my brick soapbox!

Last edited:
   / where from??? #14  
Thanks for the Article Paul! They arre also going after the engineering jobs too. They appear to not care that we should never outsource our engineering capabilities at all - big, big, big, national security risk there.

/ where from??? #15  
Semi-Off-Topic Socio-Political Rant:

Between the desire for instant gratification for students (very few american students in graduate school, particularly in science and engineering) to get high paying jobs, the desire for corporate profit > all of other concerns, and the attitude that appears to be prevalent in many of the "young" in america of a questionable work ethic, it appears that the US is positioning itself to be at grave risk of becoming a third world country...

On-Topic:

I have absolutely no clue where my new Kubota B3030 was assembled, but I like it anyway!

Steve

/ where from??? #16  
Timber said:
If you bought it in the united states it was probably built hear. If you buy a Ford pickup in Japan it was probably built in Japan. The most popular items produced and sold are usually built where they are sold. It is only the high end models that are actually imported. Importing cost is way too high build overseas, it is much cheaper to build an assembly plant where you sell your products. Business is Business

A lot of what you say is correct but I disagree with many of the conclusions you draw.

The economy is indeed global but you overestimate the number of products built in the U.S. Foreign branded vehicles are a rare exception because of stiff import tariffs we impose upon them. It's cheaper for the japanese to build an assembly plant in kentucky to manufacture camry's than it is to import them from japan and pay the tariffs. Without those tariffs they'd still be building them in the far east (not necessilary japan) and shipping them over here. It's a case of government tax laws altering business practices. My massey ferguson tractor was built in brazil. My honda ATV was "built" in south carolina but likely only the frame and plastics were made locally, the engine, transmission, electronics, etc. are all built in japan and sent here to be assembled. I'd imagine it's much the same with that kubota tractor, most of the important stuff comes from japan and it's assembled here. I'd guess (I have no way of knowing) that the kubota's "built" here probably are assembled from japanese made engines and transmissions, electronics, etc combined with locally sourced sheetmetal, wheels, and maybe axles, etc.

I'm a pilot for a major cargo carrier and fly worldwide so I get to see the flow of goods globally up close and personal. I just came from Paris last night. Very few high end products are made locally, most are imported and the smaller, more valuable they are the more likely they are to be shipped by air. I bought my wife an Ipod with engraving for christmas, I ordered it online one evening and the next morning it was put on one of my company's planes in shanghai china, I received it the next day. It's pretty much impossible to find an american built piece of electronics nowadays unless you go to high end commercial stuff like peavey's. All the consumer stuff is imported.

I don't follow tractors too closely but I doubt you'll find any tractors outside of the really big john deere ag stuff that's truly built here in the U.S. I know most of the basic line utility tractors from every major manufacturer are now built in India. I'm not real keen on india or indian built products but I'd have a lot more faith in an indian built john deere than a mahindra simply because I'd trust deere to stand behind their product. My poor opinion of india is based upon having been there. It's one of those places that "just ain't right" as they say. I would definately trust the chinese to build a tractor before I'd trust the indians, assuming they were building it for one of major brands under their supervision.

/ where from???
Thanks to all for the info........again I don't think that where is made would be the deciding factor for me..........I'll go with recommendations and experiences from people I know around here and from this board...

Like a lot of people I buy American when I can.....including my Chevy truck that was made in Canada..(ha..)

Tractors, like so many things are in a constant state of change.....because they are made "overseas" now doesn't mean they won't be made and or assembled here again down the road.....our grandchildren might be talking about an old model.......wasn't even made in this country....ha..

again thanks to all......

/ where from??? #18  
Most of the JDs are still built in the US...:rolleyes:

The John Deere assembly plant in Augusta, GA is a model of production efficiency. Automated guided vehicles (AGVs) move through the 3,500 steps it takes to make a Series 5000 tractor, in an integrated and networked process that takes less than 4 hours.

Elsewhere in the Augusta plant, the 4000 Series of compact utility tractors are assembled on carts. A more conventional towline handling system pulls the carts through assembly stations. But the building of 4000 Series tractors will transition to a networked, flow manufacturing environment.

Starting in March of 2008, John Deere in Waterloo is celebrating its 90th year in that city.
And recently, the company announced it will be spending 90 million dollars to expand capacity at its Waterloo facilities.

About 5,000 people in Waterloo work for Deere in six different facilities. Deere and Waterloo are synonymous.

In fact, you can visit any of the John Deere facilities or to book a group tour, by calling 309-765-1000 or sending an e-mail...
https://secured.deere.com/en_US/deer...gfeedback.html

Illinois
John Deere Harvester Works
East Moline, IL
John Deere Harvester Works, a near 200-acre facility, began building horse-drawn harvesting equipment in 1913. Today, it produces its full line of combines, which can be made to order. Visitors ride on moving carts through the 1 1/2-hour trip and see the main production line, from start to finish.

Tours are available twice a day on weekdays. Other tours can be arranged, including visits to the parts warehouse and planter and construction equipment factories. There's also plenty to see in the nearby John Deere Pavillion, and plenty of shopping and restaurants at the Mississippi River Front location. Contact guest services at 800/765-9588.

Iowa
John Deere Waterloo Works
Waterloo, IA
Five sites comprise the massive John Deere Waterloo Works, the company's largest tractor manufacturing facility, with more than 13.2 million square feet of office and manufacturing floor space. Here, the company produces tractors ranging from 95 to 450 hp.

This Deere location is currently undergoing a multimillion-dollar capital improvement project to redevelop its facilities and manufacturing technology, so call ahead to ensure tours are available when you plan to visit. They are generally open to the public on weekdays, with guided tours twice a day. Call guest services at 800/765-9588.

/ where from??? #19  
I was talking to my neighbor about foreign made products yesterday. He said he still used his 30 year old IH tractor because he refused to buy foreign made products and all mid sized tractors were made in other countries now. Then I showed him the tag on his IH that says made in England.:eek:

/ where from??? #20  
tallyho8 said:
I was talking to my neighbor about foreign made products yesterday. He said he still used his 30 year old IH tractor because he refused to buy foreign made products and all mid sized tractors were made in other countries now. Then I showed him the tag on his IH that says made in England.:eek:

LOL! Oh you are so cruel!:D