Where is John Deere's roll guard program

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #1  

LukeD

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 John Deere 3020
Well, I am on the quest for a roll guard for my 3020. After calling all of the junk yards in the state, I decided to look for help online. I saw several new ones with a top in the $1200-1500 range. But I don't really want to spend that much. I then saw a thread talking about John Deere offering a discount for people looking to buy one through them. I guess the idea was sell at cost as an incentive for people to buy them.

Well, I just called the local dealership. Unsurprisingly, after being juggled between the parts and sales depts, they tell me that the program doesn't exist anymore. Is this true? Or were they just too lazy to look into it?

So then I read about some govt program (I think a state program) in the northeast, trying to retrofit tractors. With the amount of money that the govt wastes, it seems to me that there should be some kind of federal fund set up specifically for retrofitting older tractors. If they are concerned about people not putting them on the tractor , they could use some sort of serial number registering or something. As someone who has survived a rollover without a roll guard, I just find it pathetic how little these people care about some that's so serious.

So back to my question... Is there a cheaper alternative than just buying a brand new aftermarket one? And is there a way to get a deal through john deere?

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #2  
If me, I'd not expect Deere to be very interested. It was a program when ROPS were new and quite a while ago. A selling point, I'm sure as a number of buyers wanted to get a tractor without the ROPS.

Try this site for after-market ROPS, although you didn't seem interested in new.

Roll Over Protection Structures-ROPS

Or a good local welder should paste one together without much problem.

The Gov't already spends too much of our money, no need for spending more IMO.
Sorry, but it is your neck of interest to you. I hope you protect it, but I don't want to pay for it either through Deere or the IRS. ;)

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #3  
Your John Deere tractor is 45 years old……

The expense to Deere, a unionized business, to inventory or produce ROPS for a tractor 45 years old with few surviving runners, would be astronomical.

Assuming only a few JD 3020s were retrofitted with ROPS you should not be surprised junkyards do not have them.

Plan on having aftermarket ROPS fabricated if it is really important to you.

Last edited:
   / Where is John Deere's roll guard program #4  
as beenthere stated, the ROPS program from John Deere was quite awhile ago. I recall John Deere magazine ads showing upset tractors supporting not only the tractor but a truck that was transporting it.

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #5  
Or a good local welder should paste one together without much problem.

Here's what the ag. engineering experts have to say on the matter.

Do Not Make Your Own ROPS or Have It Fabricated by a Shop

ROPS are carefully engineered structures designed to absorb some energy while maintaining structural integrity. Each ROPS is designed for a certain tractor weight range. ROPS use special steel to avoid cold weather brittleness and use hardened bolts to prevent failure at the fasteners. ROPS are designed with mounting plates that fit on the axle in such as way as to maintain axle housing integrity. All bolted or welded joints are designed and constructed with the necessary strength, and welds are of the highest quality in terms of penetration and size. ROPS are tested using a standardized procedure with very large forces, to assure the structure performs properly during an overturn. Even experienced machine shops or blacksmiths should not make a ROPS. ROPS are carefully engineered and tested so that every joint, every piece of steel, and every fastener, in conjunction with the appropriate tractor, withstands the necessary stresses and strains and performs properly, and does not deflect into the operator zone of protection as defined by ROPS standards. There is no guarantee that a homemade or shop-made ROPS will meet all these criteria.

ROPS - Important Information

Steve

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program
Exactly my point, Steve. I could get one made, but I don't know the integrity of it. Or I could just go buy a newer tractor. Yes, I have a 45 yr old tractor, but I posted this thread under "John Deere Vintage Tractors", because that's what I'm into. I'll just have to start watching eBay for an original ROPS, and have it shipped

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #7  
Could you not find a modern current production ROPS that was the right height and width to fit your tractor. Almost every size tractor is being made today and all have ROPS so one of them ought to fit and be designed for your weight tractor.

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #8  
Exactly my point, Steve. I could get one made, but I don't know the integrity of it. Or I could just go buy a newer tractor. Yes, I have a 45 yr old tractor, but I posted this thread under "John Deere Vintage Tractors", because that's what I'm into. I'll just have to start watching eBay for an original ROPS, and have it shipped

All in all, $1,200 to $1,500 doesn't sound that bad for a ROPS with canopy. Your heirs would have to shell out a lot more for a funeral service.;)

Could you not find a modern current production ROPS that was the right height and width to fit your tractor. Almost every size tractor is being made today and all have ROPS so one of them ought to fit and be designed for your weight tractor.

From the experts at http://warehouse.ca.uky.edu/rops/modelrops.asp

NOTE: (1) Always be sure your dealer knows exactly what tractor you have. Ask if there are any variations within your model that determine which ROPS to order (e.g., axle housings, fenders, seats, operator platforms, loaders, etc.) (2) Ask about seat belt parts and mounting location.

Steve

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #9  
I'll just have to start watching eBay for an original ROPS, and have it shipped

Optimism is a wonderful trait.

Keep us informed…..

/ Where is John Deere's roll guard program #10  
I do not know if it is available where you are but just had this in an e-mail from my JD dealer

LEARN HOW YOU CAN RECEIVE A 70% REBATE TOWARDS COST OF PURCHASE AND INSTALLATION OF A ROLLOVER PROTECTION SYSTEM!
The ROPS program allots farmers that retrofit tractors with rollover protective structures a rebate of 70% of the cost of purchase and installation up to $865.00.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
*Funds currently available for Mass through the MDAR, and may be available for neighboring states as well. Contact at link provided above for more information.

https://www.nycamhoutreach.com/ropsr4u/