where to start

/ where to start #11  
I have 87 acres of rolling hills, woods and open fields. I maintaines it for years with a 27hp Ford 8N. About 5 years ago I bought a Kioti Dk35 with a FEL and the FEL has been used for more things than I could ever believe.

Many people recommend big HP for small plots but I took the advice of a neighbor who farmed 750 acres with nothing larger than a 65 hp Massey. " Buy the HP you need to do the majority of your tasks, if you need more power for a job now and then, rent it. Why feed 100 horses when you only work 25."

/ where to start #12  
I have 87 acres of rolling hills, woods and open fields. I maintaines it for years with a 27hp Ford 8N. About 5 years ago I bought a Kioti Dk35 with a FEL and the FEL has been used for more things than I could ever believe.

Many people recommend big HP for small plots but I took the advice of a neighbor who farmed 750 acres with nothing larger than a 65 hp Massey. " Buy the HP you need to do the majority of your tasks, if you need more power for a job now and then, rent it. Why feed 100 horses when you only work 25."

It has been my experience that the 100 horses drink closer to the 25 while doing the 25hp work, ok maybe 30.;) But the 25 horses can NEVER have the capability of the 100. :thumbsup:

/ where to start #13  
As you've already seen, there is no RIGHT answer. Everyone has a different vision of what they want to accomplish and how much they're willing to spend. I've done both new and used and from smaller to larger for my 130 acre property. My 'large' tractor now is 45hp; for the loader capacity and pto power combined with the maneuverablity in the woods, this works out great for me. I could never have done many of the projects here with my old 30hp tractor. As for the used vs. new argument, my most recent purchases have been new ( 2nd tractor & UTV) because of the finance programs availible. Attachments on the other hand I've had good luck finding used and because I enjoy the 'hunt'. I've been persuing the 'Holy Grail' of the perfect equipment combination for 20 years and hope I never find it: too much fun figuring it out and refining as needs change. Your in for the most fun you can have with your clothes on!