Where to start?

/ Where to start? #1  

wyogal57

Tractor
None yet, planning to buy soon
Our plans for a few years down the road have suddenly happened much sooner. We're in escrow on a property and closing in a few weeks! We currently own 3 horses and plan to add a few more along with some cattle when we move onto the new property. We're going to need a tractor and I'm hoping to purchase within the next few months as we will be feeding large bales and need to stock up before winter. I know next to nothing about tractors, I've been doing some research but it's a bit overwhelming with all of the options! My SO grew up working on farms so he's a lot more knowledgeable about operating and what we'll need. This post is mostly for my own sanity!

We need a tractor capable of moving large hay bales (rounds 1,200-1,700lbs), plowing and moving snow, spreading manure, and dragging the arena. I'm sure we'll find more uses for it, but these are the basic things I know we'll need to do. The outbuildings on the property were built for large equipment so we have room for storing the tractor and can get a pretty large tractor into the hay storage area. We won't be using the tractor to clean stalls inside the barn, and the outside runs are around 12' wide. The terrain is relatively flat especially in the areas that we'll be taking the tractor into regularly. From what I can find we'll need at least a 70hp tractor to be able to handle the hay bales. We'd like to get a 4wd for winter as we are in Wyoming and can get quite a bit of snow. My SO would like a diesel. We have quite a few dealers near us, so our options as far as brands go are pretty open. Ideally we'd like to stay around 50K, but I want to make sure that we won't outgrow whatever we end up buying.

With that being said, where the heck do I start? I know trucks, but hydraulics, loader attachments, tire weights, etc. are a whole new game. Is there a tractor buying guide for newbies that goes over the larger tractors? I've found plenty of information on smaller subcompact tractors but we need a utility size. What HP would you recommend? Brand? Models to look at or avoid? Buy new or used? Any recommendations or a direction to start would be much appreciated!

/ Where to start? #2  
It does not take much power to lift that much weight. But you need a tractor that has the lifting capacity and is heavy enough that the load won't over power it.

My 37hp tractor can handle IBC totes full of firewood that weigh 2000 lbs. But it's a heavy tractor for the engine HP, and I had the dealer fill the tires to add weight in the back. HP is a proxy for size and weight but it's approximate at best. For example the Kubota L3901 which has the same engine HP as mine weighs 1200 lbs less and has much less loader capacity.

All modern compact tractors are diesel and most are 4wd.

For Wyoming you will probably want a cab.

/ Where to start? #3  
The only thing I'll say is here is don't get hung up on color (brand). Green and Orange paint cost a lot more than Red or Blue.

/ Where to start? #4  
I think you are in the ball park;70 H.P.+or -.What dealers are in the area?Talk to your neighbors;what are they using for equiptment?
4WD,cab(snow removal),R1(AG) or the new R14 ,loaded.

/ Where to start? #5  
Where the heck do I start?

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor weight is more important identifying tractor capability than tractor horsepower.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to first identify potential tractor applications, then, through consulataton, establish bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications. Tractor dealers, experienced tractor owners and TractorByNet.com are sources for weight recommendations.

Bare tractor weight is a fundamental tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used. Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range.

I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise which cuts through specification clutter. I have a column for cost per pound.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after eight years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​

Last edited:
   / Where to start?
It does not take much power to lift that much weight. But you need a tractor that has the lifting capacity and is heavy enough that the load won't over power it.

My 37hp tractor can handle IBC totes full of firewood that weigh 2000 lbs. But it's a heavy tractor for the engine HP, and I had the dealer fill the tires to add weight in the back. HP is a proxy for size and weight but it's approximate at best. For example the Kubota L3901 which has the same engine HP as mine weighs 1200 lbs less and has much less loader capacity.

All modern compact tractors are diesel and most are 4wd.

For Wyoming you will probably want a cab.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. Do you have a recommendation on minimum weight for the tractor? Yes, I think that a cab will definitely be worth the money!

/ Where to start? #7  
We need a tractor capable of moving large hay bales (rounds 1,200-1,700 lbs)

Could be. In my area of Florida, which is hay country, round bales seldom weigh over 1,200 pounds.

An open station tractor with a bare weight of 3,700 to 4,000 pounds can lift and move 1,200 pound round bales using a bale spear on the Front End Loader and stack them at least two bales high. However, the tractor will feel very tippy to a new operator lifting bales to stack. Mid weight compact tractors of 3,700 to 4,000 pounds bare tractor weight are often used to groom arenas.

An open station tractor weighing 3,700 to 4,000 pounds can transport 1,200+ pound round bales safely with a Three Point Hitch mounted (rear) bale spear but can only lift bales a few inches. Transport but no stacking. The tractor is stable because the bale weight is low and bale weight is carried on the large, rear tractor tires, which do not pivot/steer.

A tractor with a bare weight of 3,700 to 4,000 pounds is suitable for actually working 10 to 25 acres of farm acreage. Working acres, not total acres.

For safety most recommend a 5,000 pound bare weight tractor for moving and lifting bales heavier than 1,200 pounds using a bale spear on the Front End Loader and for safely moving/stacking 1,200 pound bales by inexperienced tractor operators using a front bale spear. A 5,000 pound bare weight tractor can stack round bales at least three high.

A tractor with a bare weight of 5,000 pounds is suitable for actually working 20 to 40 acres of farm acreage. Working acres, not total acres.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​

Last edited:
   / Where to start? #8  
Brand? Models to look at or avoid? Buy new or used?

The design of the Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939 -- 82 years in 2021.

The basic design is generic.

Kubota and Deere have most of the market through 6,000 pound bare weight tractors. But this Kubota/Deere predominance is regional.

The up and coming tractor brands are Korean: Kioti, LS and Branson. There are other Korean brands. You have to critically assess dealer stability while shopping minor brands.

Korean manufacturing labor is paid 50% of what Deere pays its union work force. Japanese manufacturing labor is paid 70% of what Deere pays its union work force. Labor costs strongly influence tractor prices.

Last edited:
   / Where to start?
Where the heck do I start?

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor weight is more important identifying compact tractor capability than tractor horsepower.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to first identify potential tractor applications, then, through consulataton, establish bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications. Tractor dealers, experienced tractor owners and TractorByNet.com are sources for weight recommendations.

Bare tractor weight is a fundamental tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used. Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range.

I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise which cuts through specification clutter. I have a column for cost per pound.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after seven years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​
Thank you, you've made some great points! Is there a weight minimum that you would recommend staying above? We'll be going to talk with all the dealers within an hour of us and seeing what they recommend.

/ Where to start?
We need a tractor capable of moving large hay bales (rounds 1,200-1,700lbs)

Could be. In my area of Florida, which is hay country, round bales seldom go over 1,200 pounds.

An open station tractor weighing 3,700 to 4,000 pounds can lift and move 1,200 pound round bales using a bale spear on the Front End Loader and stack them at least two bales high. However, the tractor will feel very tippy to a new operator lifting bales to stack. 3,700 to 4,000 pound tractors are regularly used to groom arenas.

An open station tractor weighing 3,700 to 4,000 pounds can transport 1,200 pound round bales with a Three Point Hitch mounted (rear) bale spear but can only lift bales a few inches. Transport but no stacking. The tractor is stable because the bale weight is low and bale weight is carried on the large, rear tractor tires, which do not pivot/steer.

For safety most recommend a 5,000 pound bare weight tractor for moving and lifting bales heavier than 1,200 pounds using a bale spear on the Front End Loader and for 1,200 pound bales for inexperienced tractor operators using a bale spear on the Front End Loader.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​
Ah, I just saw your additional comments. Really helpful information!