Where's the beef? er.....chicken

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken #11  
Not to hijack the thread away from skimpy portions etc.*...

How I rate the typical (national chain) "drive-thru" burger joint burgers (only)...

# 1 Wendy's single w/cheese
# 2 BurgerKing Whopper or Whopper Jr. (used to like 'Burger Queen' hamburgers/cheeseburgers)
# 3 Checkers Champ (not sure if 'Checkers' is nation wide though...

Best burgers I ever had came from a mom and pop run A&W (mid 60's) called the " Super A deluxe-plus-with" ( lettuce, tomato, onion, regular condiments...just a "tasty burger" that fit the big bun!)
And the "Ranch Burger" that an obsolete (walk in) chain called "Ranch House" used to serve...darn good with the onion rings....but that's been a few decades past too..!

[edit] forgot to add the "*"
...when the food sucks it's always amusing to say..."at least the portions are small"...!
[/edit]

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken
There are so many great places to get hamburgers in the New Orleans area that I can't name them all. But none of them are fast food places. Most of the best ones come from bars and lounges with grills, usually charcoal. The downside is they usually run $7 to $9 compared to the fast food prices ranging from 1 to $4.

The franchise chain that I have had the best burgers in is Hardees although the closest one is 50 miles away.

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken #14  
I have eaten at a fast food place twice during the last two years, and one of them was at the invitation of my brother last week. IMO the vast majority of fast food is overhyped, overpriced, and loaded with excess calories and salt. Yes it is convenient but you pay a huge premium for the convenience, both in price and your health. Those commercials that feature fantastically appetizing, delicious looking food available at fast food places as well as restaurants like Red Lobster and Outback that you see on TV make me want to puke...the actual items never look anything like the commercials show, I call it "Food ****" and the more commercials I see, the less I ever want to visit a fast food place. When my brother and I were at Wendy's last week, I was looking over the huge menu of items available and asked him: "Why didn't you have this kind of selection when you worked at McDonald's back in 1968?" :laughing:

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken #15  
Steak N Shake makes the best burger...with or without cheese...They grind the whole steer and that is why they call it a steakburger and it is all fresh never frozen...

We always called it "Steak & Ache"...they do have great coffee though...

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken #16  
I contacted Wendy's on their web site with my complaint. I'm waiting for their answer now.

I can't eat right now, but I can chew and taste...just can't swallow. The two best taste sensations during this period:

Wendy's Chili with one sour cream and two packs of crackers broken up in it. Excellent!

Papa John's pepperoni pizza with extra garlic butter and peppers.

I can't swallow, so I have to spit it out. Excepting the two above, most of the best tasting food needs to be spit out, since it is poison in many ways. I was more than happy to spit the BBQ potato chips out!

Last edited:
   / Where's the beef? er.....chicken #17  
I can't eat right now, but I can chew and taste...just can't swallow. The two best taste sensations during this period:

Wen. Chili with one sour cream and two packs of crackers broken up in it. Excellent!

Papa John's pepperoni pizza with extra garlic butter and peppers.

I can't swallow, so I have to spit it out. Excepting the two above, most of the best

Why can't you swallow? Did the talk of Sushi gross you out so much that you can't swallow? :D

Wendys does have good Chilli. :thumbsup: I do love their hamburgers too.

Later,
Dan

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken #18  
I'm with whoever mentioned Steak-n-Shake burgers, they are good, the best I've probably had from a fast food joint. :thumbsup:

Around here, Dairy Queen, Burger King and Wendys aren't bad. The local Mickey D's is usually pretty awful, though.

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken #19  
When in San Diego... Boweivle (sp) home of the half pound burger... condiment tray comes with the burger. Not a chain, but best burger on earth!
In Thailand once, we had a group of ladies provide lunch for use in the field, whole steak with salad or 30 seconds with two meat cleavers, a burger and salad. $5.00 either way.

mark

/ Where's the beef? er.....chicken #20  
Why can't you swallow? Did the talk of Sushi gross you out so much that you can't swallow? :D

Wendys does have good Chilli. :thumbsup: I do love their hamburgers too.

Later,
Dan

I have never had Sushi except for the tiniest piece. It may taste fabulous for all I know. I just like to cook all my food to make my remembrance to the cave men who discovered fire and cooking. I imagine him pointing at the raw fish, and the fire, and looking at me like I am failing to compute. :)