Which 48" box scraper

/ Which 48" box scraper #31  
Re: Which 48\" box scraper

Chris,

If I recall I paid 450.00 + 128.50 shipping, I had three things shipped so total shipping was 385.50.

You can call Midwest Equipment and they will find a dealer that you can buy from thats what I did.

I have had a cheep Box Scraper and they don't last. This Box scraper is their top of the line and will last a lifetime.
For the same Quality Box scraper in my area it would cost 950.00 plus tax.

Pat

/ Which 48" box scraper #32  

Ah, hate to say it, but I'm in a similar position as our "hapless warrior". I have a B7300, which is awfully close to the B7500 (durn, sure wish I had power steering sometimes! and the extra couple 'a horses couldn't hurt, neither). I've got a 48" straight blade and have rented boxes (yes, should have bought a box blade instead). Here's my take...

Unless the B7500 has a bunch more "ooomph" than mine, I would not suggest anything larger than a 48" blade. Yeah, it might work OK in some situations, but when you load it up the tractor is going to suffer in a big way. Even my 48" straight blade will stop my tractor in its tracks when it is fully loaded and trying to make a deep cut. (Agreed, you can take smaller cuts, but going back and forth can take longer than making a few "full" trips.)

When I did have a box blade on my tractor, all I could get was a 38" box. It would hold enough to put quite a load on my tractor (YES, I should have BOUGHT A BIGGER TRACTOR /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). A 48" should be fine, as long as one is careful, especially since I think the B7500 has a bit more horsepower than mine. But I would not recommend going larger.

Of course, I could be wrong /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif...Chris

/ Which 48" box scraper #33  

If a 48 inch covers your wheels--go for it. I personally have a 5 footer that I use on my JD 4010 which is a tractor in roughly the same class--less HP than yours and maybe a little lighter. I have done serious work with it and have never felt I went too big, but I also don't think I would have gone wrong buying the 48 or 54 inch.

What I do like about the 5 footer is that it takes 2 passes with my tractor to smooth out my 500 foot gravel driveway. With a 4 footer I'd have to make a 3rd pass. I'm not trying to cut down on tractor time, but rather the 5 footer fits perfect in my situation.

Good Luck

Bob

/ Which 48" box scraper #34  

Thanks for the link /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ Which 48" box scraper #35  

"Even my 48" straight blade will stop my tractor in its tracks when it is fully loaded and trying to make a deep cut."

Does this mean it kills the engine in a low gear, or are you getting wheel spin? I can't help but wonder if we are confusing lack of horsepower with lack of weight and traction.

/ Which 48" box scraper #36  

Yes, gray is now available from Midwest. Several dealers are using it and it looks quite good. In fact, if I were to advise an implement company who was only going to offer one color, I'd tell them to go with gray. Many tractor companies use gray as their chassis color. Now I know why. Gray "looks" heavy. In fact, I mistook one of our 20 Series box blades in gray for a 30, until I took a closer look at the model label.

/ Which 48" box scraper #37  

<font color="blue"> Does this mean it kills the engine in a low gear, or are you getting wheel spin? I can't help but wonder if we are confusing lack of horsepower with lack of weight and traction.
</font>

It doesn't kill the engine - I have a HST so I just lay off when the engine starts to bog down. But you're on the right track because I usually get wheel spin before the engine starts to lag on me. It is a pretty light tractor, and my tires are getting a bit worn out (especially the fronts), so I probably am dealing with lack of traction as much as lack of power.

But there were a couple of other good points... Make sure that your blade covers your wheel tracks (but on a B7500 a four footer should do so, even with the wheels all the way out). And making a third pass on a driveway does make cleaning it up a bit more difficult - I had to make three passes yesterday on my drive (about 300 feet), and each time you do a pass there is always a little bit of a ridge that you need to clean up.

Now, I really need a tiller...but that is another lengthy thread of its own /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

/ Which 48" box scraper #38  

Thanks for the info, Pat. There are no Midwest dealers in Texas yet and I don't won't to pay for shipping for an out of state delivery so I will hold off on buying one for now. JimMc told me a dealer in Texarkana will be handling Midwest soon so I might check them out at a later date when I go for a family visit in south Ark. Meanwhile, a friend has loaned me a 5 ft. light duty Modern boxblade to try out and practice with.

Thanks again,

/ Which 48" box scraper #39  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( you have a TC33 and our hapless warrior has only a mere 7500. )</font>

And I'm using a 6 foot box blade with that TC33. There have been a few occasions where a 5 footer might have worked better, but I just take smaller bites in those instances. I've not had to rip up our driveway (yet?), just maintain the crown and deal with a few dips and potholes. For those instances, I'm glad I got the 6 footer.

/ Which 48" box scraper #40  

I went out today and bought a 48" Box blade for my BX22. I ended up going to Agri-supply company and they had 3 different 48" blades. I asked her which one was the heaviest and bought that one. I ended up with a 48" Kodiak Standard Duty BB. It has 3 curved shanks and was the most sturdy of the bunch. It was around $270. For $195 they had some junk that looked like it was thin steel and it weighed only 150 pounds. The Kodiak weights in at 300 or so pounds. The BX22 handles the blade fine and there was no need to modify the hitch pin mounts for the BX22 to hook up to it. I rate it a 4 out of 5. Minus one star for being red, not orange /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif