Which 60hp?

/ Which 60hp? #1  

Colby Forest

Bronze Member
Hi there!

New to here and new to tractors, looking for advice. Looking for a tractor with FEL, rear snowblower, grader bar, winch, and backhoe to remove snow on a 1/4 mile drive, haul trees for firewood from 160 acres, grade said drive, dig drainage ditches, and maybe till an acre later. And all the other stuff one does with tractors.

Don't plan on mowing, or haying but who knows what the future may bring?

In our area we have well-established NH and JD dealers, a new Kubota and a new Kioti dealer. The NH dealer has given us a quote on a T2420 with block heater and cab, 12 x 12 hydraulic shift, 4wd, and industrial tires, 2 rear remotes, 270TL loader, 930BH (GH?) backhoe, 84 CSR rear blower and a 7' Rhino 500 rear blade, manual angle: $48,958.00 (+ sales tax:rolleyes:). Is he nuts? Are we? Or is this reasonable? We live 30 miles from the closest "city" where Kubota and JD are, 45 from the NH dealer and Kioti. We're almost 200 miles north of Bangor.

Have also seen another thread where someone recommended a TN70 (75?) instead of the T2420/4060. What do you think?

We talked to Kubota dealer about a M5040. They don't seem to know much about their tractors yet. They deal with Honda ATV's and motorcycles. They also sell snowmobiles. The tractors are a new line for them. They seem more like car salesmen. The NH dealer was more laid back and willing to give us the information we were seeking and admitted when he didn't know something. He also mailed us a well-organized printed quote, where the Kubota dealer would just rattle numbers of to us. John Deere just seemed too expensive. Also at the time JD and Kubota could not put a backhoe on with a factory cab. They might have been able to put a Woods or some other on.

Last edited:
   / Which 60hp? #2  
Hi there!

New to here and new to tractors, looking for advice. Looking for a tractor with FEL, rear snowblower, grader bar, winch, and backhoe to remove snow on a 1/4 mile drive, haul trees for firewood from 160 acres, grade said drive, dig drainage ditches, and maybe till an acre later. And all the other stuff one does with tractors.

Don't plan on mowing, or haying but who knows what the future may bring?

In our area we have well-established NH and JD dealers, a new Kubota and a new Kioti dealer. The NH dealer has given us a quote on a T2420 with block heater and cab, 12 x 12 hydraulic shift, 4wd, and industrial tires, 2 rear remotes, 270TL loader, 930BH (GH?) backhoe, 84 CSR rear blower and a 7' Rhino 500 rear blade, manual angle: $48,958.00 (+ sales tax:rolleyes:). Is he nuts? Are we? Or is this reasonable? We live 30 miles from the closest "city" where Kubota and JD are, 45 from the NH dealer and Kioti. We're almost 200 miles north of Bangor.

Have also seen another thread where someone recommended a TN70 (75?) instead of the T2420/4060. What do you think?

We talked to Kubota dealer about a M5040. They don't seem to know much about their tractors yet. They deal with Honda ATV's and motorcycles. They also sell snowmobiles. The tractors are a new line for them. They seem more like car salesmen. The NH dealer was more laid back and willing to give us the information we were seeking and admitted when he didn't know something. He also mailed us a well-organized printed quote, where the Kubota dealer would just rattle numbers of to us. John Deere just seemed too expensive. Also at the time JD and Kubota could not put a backhoe on with a factory cab. They might have been able to put a Woods or some other on.

That T2420 has a 4cyl turbocharged engine and is rated at 51 pto hp. Nice size tractor.

The 2008 model retailed at $31.8K (with cab). Don't know about 2009 models.

I assume that FEL in the deal has a 6-ft bucket like my Mahindra 5525's ML250 FEL that cost me about $5K.

Don't know prices on the BH and the blower. You're on your own there. Assuming $5K each, it's easy to see how that NH dealer's estimate got to $49K.

Good luck on your hunt.

/ Which 60hp? #3  
I would strongly urge you to get around to all the dealers, look at the machines, sit on them, operate them - at least in the yard, and see which tractor fits you the best. I'm pretty sure JD can put on a factory backhoe in that size (if you're talking PTO hp, not engine hp), but you'll be sitting outside the cab to operate it. Take a look at the dealers, find out which one you want to support you. Find out which tractor suits you and then move ahead from there. NH, Kubota, JD, & MF all make great tractors in that size. Kiota and Mahindra make some good tractors in the hp range.

For the cab, my nod would go to JD or MF - slight nod might be to MF based on the transmission choices (JD or MF 5425).

/ Which 60hp?
Thanks flusher. Yes, 6' bucket. 18" on the backhoe, which is banana boom style. That's $8250.

/ Which 60hp? #7  
Since you are going with a cab tractor and talking about using a blade to remove snow I would get a hydraulic blade over a manual angle, it sucks enough climbing on/off an open station tractor (and I'm 28) to move that thing around much less climbing in and out of a cab.

/ Which 60hp?
Since you are going with a cab tractor and talking about using a blade to remove snow I would get a hydraulic blade over a manual angle, it sucks enough climbing on/off an open station tractor (and I'm 28) to move that thing around much less climbing in and out of a cab.

We're looking at the rear snowblower and FEL for snow removal. The blade would be for grading the drive after mud season. Might want hydraulic for that too, though.

/ Which 60hp?
Hi guys! Still looking. If this helps anyone help me this is the breakdown of the quote on the NH:
T2420, 60hp, 51pto, cab, hydro 12x12, 4WD, R4's, block heater: $29,561.
270TL loader, 6' bucket: $4,566.
930BH backhoe, 18' bucket, banana boom: $8,250.
84CSR rear snowblower, dual hydraulics, 84" cut width: $4,259.
Two rear remotes: $1,400.
Rhino 500 rear blade, 7' blade, manual angle: $922.

Expecting a quote on a Case DX60 any day now.

Have also been considering a Kubota M5040 HDC (50 hp engine) w/cab & LA1153 loader, 2 rear remotes, 4WD, R4's. Tag on it on the lot right now is about $38,822. (Not head over heels about this dealer though)

The rear end on the Kubota looks heftier than the NH and Case. Should I be comparing this to the DX60 and the NH 4060/T2420? Or is it comparable to different models in those makes?

All prices before tax. Uses listed in 1st post. Moderately hilly terrain in Northern Maine.

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.:eek: