which box blade for 3520?

/ which box blade for 3520? #21  
So the Dirt Dog is 1150 for the 6' and 1250 for the 6.5' with a whopping $310 shipping to a terminal.

Is that really the route i should go? I was originally just planning on spending 600-700 bucks.... so this would be more than double. Would it be that much more effective?

Thanks!

I know that this was a regional thing, but back when box blades with hydraulic actuated rippers didn't even exist, any and all professionals used ROBB's on their tractors. Never, not one time had I ever seen a professional using a std type box blade. That tells me something right there.

Nothing wrong with any of the units that are available. Some work better than others. Some cost more than others. If you get mismatched, as in the tractor is to big (implement breaks)or the implement is to big for the tractor (tractor struggles) your performance suffers. A LOT of people live with it for whatever reason (usually don't know any different). Ultimately it comes down to the person paying the bill and if the additional $$$ spent is worth having a better quality implement. Sometimes it is and other times not. That is your call.

Good luck. ;)

/ which box blade for 3520?
I know that this was a regional thing, but back when box blades with hydraulic actuated rippers didn't even exist, any and all professionals used ROBB's on their tractors. Never, not one time had I ever seen a professional using a std type box blade. That tells me something right there.

Nothing wrong with any of the units that are available. Some work better than others. Some cost more than others. If you get mismatched, as in the tractor is to big (implement breaks)or the implement is to big for the tractor (tractor struggles) your performance suffers. A LOT of people live with it for whatever reason (usually don't know any different). Ultimately it comes down to the person paying the bill and if the additional $$$ spent is worth having a better quality implement. Sometimes it is and other times not. That is your call.

Good luck. ;)

I think thats where i'm stuck.... I'm not sure how much of the extra money is for the convenience of not having to get out and adjust the scarifiers and having that lever instead, and how much is for better quality implement.

The regular box blades is 50# lighter, which i dont think is so much.... and the regular box blade is rated for more HP... 55 vs 45. So i assume the regular box is stronger.....

That being said the price difference isnt so bad between the MBX and the RO... $300 in the scheme of things.... I dont know if i'd trade implement strength for convenience for the cost of $300+..... You know what i mean?

Thanks a lot for your input!

and should i get a 5' or 5.5'? I'm leaning towards the smaller as it will still cover my tracks.... but maybe im missing something?

The 5.5' one is 50 more lbs and has an extra shank....

/ which box blade for 3520? #24  
and should i get a 5' or 5.5'? I'm leaning towards the smaller as it will still cover my tracks.... but maybe im missing something?

The 5.5' one is 50 more lbs and has an extra shank....

In the pictures with the red tractor, that ROBB is a Gannon, weighs 780lbs and is 65" wide. The red tractor is a 32hp HST that weighs 5000lbs ballasted. I have an 81" Gannon ROBB for my 75hp, 12,000lb tractor also. (shown below) I also have a 36" Gannon ROBB for my garden tractor. (no pictures:eek:) I have had excellent luck with these types of boxes. Mine are all Gannon's, which I have had very good luck with.
These other ROBBs are not Gannon's and are not as heavily built, but my understanding is that they are still VERY GOOD.

I honestly don't know if you should get a 60" or 65" unit. Probably either one would be fine for you. As far as the cost vs convenience, that is your call. :confused3: All I can tell you is that I would not own a box blade that I had to lower each ripper individually each and every time other than for display purposes. But then I do a lot of dirt work and that would get old real fast. This may not apply to you and you would be fine with a std type of unit. They just aren't for me. ;)

Attachments

• P4290016.JPG
    P4290016.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 83
  • P4140001.JPG
    P4140001.JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 68
  • P4140004.JPG
    P4140004.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 97
  • P4140010.JPG
    P4140010.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 85
  • P4140006.JPG
    P4140006.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 80
  • P4140005.JPG
    P4140005.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 69
IMG_0363.jpg

I wish my dirt was as good looking as yours. I'm afraid being as rocky as it is i'm going to run into problems.... If the RO is better for this kind of stuff id go with that but i'm afraid i might just need something real strong.... Would a RO work better scarifying real rocky dirt than a regular box with a hinged tailgate do you think?

/ which box blade for 3520? #26  
I believe that ANY box blade that has each individual scarifier hand lowered is really only suppose to have the teeth go into the ground 3-4 inches. Many people tilt their boxes forward to get another couple of inches of depth, but at the price of now they are not ripping the dirt at the angle that the ripper is designed to be used at. The ROBB rippers can go into the ground 10". Depth can be controlled with the 3pt position control.

As far as strength, are you going off of the hp ratings, or the actual weight of these implements? :confused: I don't believe that any of the box blades that you are looking at for under $1000 are any stronger than any of the ROBBs. The 60" ROBB weighs 630lbs vs the 440 & 417lbs that you are considering. Which one do you think is really stronger? I know for a fact that the ROBB is going to grade better than either of 400lb units.

If money is tight, go with what you were looking at to start with, other wise I would be looking at something else.

But that's just me. ;)

You're probably right, Brian.... Spend more pay less...... i'd probably be wishing i bought the better if i got one of the cheaper ones....

Funny thing is the shipping is $290.61 (to a terminal) for the 5' and $422.02 for the 5.5'!!! $130 difference for 50 lbs!! Thats crazy right? arrrrrggggg I was leaning towards just getting the bigger one too.... I figured the shipping would be about the same as the smaller one.... maybe i'll drop them a line and see what gives...

/ which box blade for 3520? #28  
I do agree that weight is your friend when it comes to grading. That being said I have used a BushHog SBX650 BB behind my 32hp Mahindra for several years now and it's worked great. I believe my tractor is comparable to a JD 3320 model. My tire width is a hair over 60" so the 65" covers my tracks. I like the double strap design for hookup to the lower lift arms on the 3pt. rather than just a pin style like on the CountyLine which can get bent easily especially if your going to get hung up on rocks. You could put your savings over an RO towards a hydraulic TnT setup then. :)

/ which box blade for 3520? #29  
I would go with a 66" at least so you will be wider than your tires. Your tractor will handle a lighter 72" without a problem. I pulled one with my Bobcat CT235 with out a problem.