Which brand saw?

/ Which brand saw? #51  
LD1 knows about chaisaws, as usual his posts are sharp , they really cut it. :thumbsup:

/ Which brand saw? #53  
I have purchased the MS261 this past summer after having a Jonsred for 25 years that finally gave up the ghost. I couldn't be happier. It starts easy, handles like an extension of my body. I'm not a logger but do keep woods in trim, firewood and cut for feeding my wood chipper.
Would highly recommend the MS261.

Phlintlock

/ Which brand saw? #54  
Stihl, Johnserad or Husky BUT nothing from big box stores
Best yet is to visit a CHAIN SAW dealer of those brands and I'm sure you will find satisfaction.
Fact is many 'consumer' saws are jobbed out and only carry the recognized brand name.
While not all that common, Tenaka and Makita also have some good saws.

/ Which brand saw? #55  
Stihl and Husky Pro equipment have worked well for me. I still lean towards Stihl though; the ergonomics and feel of the Stihl are better for me.

My wife has a Husky sewing machine that works very well; aint found Stihl or Dolmar in that market :D

When I am ready for another saw, I'll check out Stihl, Husky, and Dolmar.

There are more Stihl saws and cut-off saws on the Engines of the local fire districts than there are Husky... They have to start and reliably run at 3am on a snowy night with people trapped in building or car...

/ Which brand saw? #56  
I don't want to start a war but asking that is like asking JD vs. Kubota. they are all good saws but the one caveat is that you stick with a reputable dealer(not a farm or box store) and if your serious buy the pro model. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar(makita) are all good saws. It is just a matter of what you can find in your area and what you like as far as feel and balance. I've used all of them and like them all as well. If I were to buy a saw I would most likely go Husky. I Know the dealer and trust him more so than any other. He knows his product and is a good mechanic. He is also my BIL so the family discount helps.

/ Which brand saw? #57  
Not sure why people even mess with the JD vs Kubota thing; my NH would walk all over those two :D

As I mentioned, I have a mix, but tend towards Stihl. Part of it is the overall feel.

The saw shop near me carries Husky and Stihl. They also have logs available for test runs.

Best thing to do is try them all if you can; I know it may be hard to find dealers with a pile of logs behind the store though. What is comfortable for one person may be the opposite for another person.

I don't want to start a war but asking that is like asking JD vs. Kubota.

/ Which brand saw? #58  
As I mentioned, I have a mix, but tend towards Stihl. Part of it is the overall feel.

Bingo.

They ALL make excellent and reliable saws. Just different fit and feel to them. Anyone serious is a fool not to lay they hands on several makes before deciding on a brand.

I have no problems if someone chooses a stihl or a husky over my personal favorite. But what I cannot stand is the occasional bashing and bias from someone who has only ever ran one make, and then preach about it being the best because thats what his daddy, and his daddy before him ran:laughing:

/ Which brand saw? #59  
I just got my 2nd husky in 16 years, a new pro XP550. Its digital and I love it, hard to beat a 10 pound 50 cc saw running at 14 K for a long day in the field. I did look at stihls, but the size, weight, and ergos turned me off. It really is twice the saw of my older 51, which is still fine. My back isn't what is was and I have arthritis in my hands. I use the 51 for dirty wood now.
The 550 is my first pro model, I choose it because of the weight, and all the extras that cam along with it, decompression, no loss bar nuts, adjustable oiler, quick side adjust chain tensioner, quick air filter access, and a few others. I looked at the XP346, but for 80 dollars more settled on the digital technology of the 550...it was 589 with an 18" semi chisel. I put on the full chisel stihls when I brought it home and have not looked back...

HUSQVARNA 550 XP® - XP® saws

/ Which brand saw? #60  
STIHL!!
I used to do a small firewood business. We started out with 2 saws. 1 was a husky rancher 550. And the other was a stihl farmboss. After the first 20 coards the husky was getting repaired at the saw shop. While that was down for a week i went out and bought a stihl ms 390. Im still running that stihl today. Not for the firewood venture. But on occasion. We got the husky back and ran it for about a month and decided to put it out of its misery by running it over with the Hough loader. Best thing to ever happen to that saw...lol

I think you mean a Husky 55 as the 550 is their new recently introduced saw. The 55 was a great saw but hard to start as it had alot of compression and no release. The other aspect of the saw was that it always needed a precise oil/gas mix. If it got even the slightest overage of oil, it got all gummed up and would be even more difficult to start. I still have a 50 given to me by my best friend 27 years ago just before he passed away. I use this saw every season just to remember my buddy.