Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class?

/ Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #1  

dbchaplin03

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, Wright StanderX 61”
Greetings,

I've been a long time member of the forum. Active duty Air Force member who got unexpected orders to move overseas to Germany 2.5 years go which meant selling our acreage and my beloved Kubota L6060 tractor to another member on here. We are returning to the States (Ohio) this summer and looking for our retirement property (25-50 acres).

I'm researching my next tractor buy and considering something with a power shuttle transmission vs another HST potentially. I love the HST for loader work but a power shuttle would be great for other land engagement chores. Discing, tilling, plowing, mowing, haying, etc..

I was hoping that someone on here has also researched this and can point out different brands/models that offer them. There are so many manufacturers of good quality tractors out there now that it's overwhelming to click on them all to see about options. Not just the transmission option, but weight, loader and 3 pt lift capacity, value, etc. Where we'll be in Ohio there is a dealer for just about every brand within an hour.

Over the last 20 years we've owned 33, 39, and 60 hp Kubota's, and Kioti CK 35 and 40 SE models. I'm not super brand specific but I do love orange paint. Looking for something in 50-60 hp range. I now that most manufactures all have a version of a power shuttle in the 75hp and up models.

/ Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #2  
In that size and power range? I think only TYM/Branson 5835R offer the Power Shuttle. 58 HP good old mechanically injected Kukje engine.

Once you step up to the 65 to 75HP range, you get a lot more options from pretty much all brands but it's also a bigger tractor.

Last edited:
   / Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #3  
I have a Kubota M6060 F8/R8 with creep range and hydraulic shuttle. It's a beast of a tractor compared to my MX6000. Both have four cylinder engines putting out mid 60s hp but the M feels like it has a lot more power and torque. I would have ordered an M7060 with the F12/R12 if I hadn't come across the 6060 for such a great price in Sheridan, WY. Anyway, I suggest looking at the M6060/M7060.

mx6060_rcr1884_3.jpg

/ Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #4  
John Deere 4 series M and R are both available with a power shuttle.

Massey Ferguson 2800M series also have the power shuttle.

Massey is probabaly the best price of the Deere, Kubota, Massey trio, and believe it is as good as any of them.

/ Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #5  
If your knees are bad I think you would want a powershift, or IVT (aka CVT) transmission if your wanting direct drive. A power shuttle still requires clutching between gears, it just does not require clutching to change direction.
*For kubota they offer a GST (power shift) in the L4060, L4760, L5060. Then a partial powershift in the M6 series with an electronic push button for the clutch on the shifter.
*The smallest JD with a partial powershift is the 5095M

/ Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #6  
If your knees are bad I think you would want a powershift, or IVT (aka CVT) transmission if your wanting direct drive. A power shuttle still requires clutching between gears, it just does not require clutching to change direction.
*For kubota they offer a GST (power shift) in the L4060, L4760, L5060. Then a partial powershift in the M6 series with an electronic push button for the clutch on the shifter.
*The smallest JD with a partial powershift is the 5095M
Power shuttle often provide a button on the gear shift lever that will do the same thing as a clutch pedal, so he doesn't even has to use the left leg to change gears either.

For changing ranges, same thing, use the button or put the Forward/reverse lever in neutral.

/ Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #7  
Power shuttle often provide a button on the gear shift lever that will do the same thing as a clutch pedal, so he doesn't even has to use the left leg to change gears either.

For changing ranges, same thing, use the button or put the Forward/reverse lever in neutral.
Good point. I never thought of using the clutch button that way. Other machines have a neutral on the reverser lever that could be used that way.

/ Which Brands/Models Have Power Shuttle Options in the Compact Utility Tractor Class? #8  
I bought a new 2007 Branson 6530 with cab , FEL, and obviously for the day, 4WD. It has 24 gears; 12 regular and a creep function that doubles that number with a geared transmission....no hydro whine.
The shifting range is 3 and 4 speeds per range. The transmission is shuttle shift with clutch action, not a button. Its no biggie to operate this system, just automatic (mental control) really.

On this tractor you can move within a range by pushing in the clutch and moving to a different gear of 4 options within that range regardless of ground speed.....just be stopped to change from one range to another and forward to reverse movement as described below.

When doing loader work, you set your desired gears and RPM and forward, reverse, motion is nothing more than pushing in the clutch and moving the lever to the desired position and releasing the clutch. There is a speed pedal whereby you can set your fixed RPM with the hand operated speed lever but when wanting to go faster, just press on the foot pedal and you can immediately go to full rated RPM or any desired speed. Releasing the pedal returns you to the hand selected speed.