Which dump truck

/ Which dump truck #41  
I now have two dump trucks... I built a 2002 2500 GMC 4x4 into a flatbed, then added sides and dump hydraulics. It is my "baby dump", and I use the crap out of it. If nothing else, it keeps local miles off my personal truck, and is rather "expendable". It has 150k on it and I expect it'll last a LONG time. I moved pretty much all of the dirt on our property with this little truck, and I still use it all the time to haul and move stuff. It is WAY more convenient than a dump trailer, IMO.

Also, having a bed with drop sides is simply wonderful, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Being able to spread from the 2-way tailgate is also a big plus. I added a leaf to the rear pack, which puts it in 1-ton truck territory, but about 4000lbs is as much as I'd be comfortable hauling any distance. Locally, I'm sure I've had 6000lbs on it without issue. (Local being association roads, not out on the blacktop...)

The downside to this truck is that the local pit has a $38 min charge, so going to the pit with this truck gets expensive FAST, since I can only get about $20 worth of roadbase on it...

View attachment 568796

To combat that problem, I also have this beast now... I bought as a straight truck, shortened to fit a 12' bed, and put a dump lift on.

View attachment 568797

I use it mainly for hauling roadbase to my property from the local pit. I also picked up a '9 Western plow for it and I'm hoping to plow our association roads this winter if they'll give me the contract. I also have a 10' belly blade that I'm going to mount to it for light grading. This truck is a beast, and was in great condition when I bought it, even though it's 37 years old. It is a 366 gasser, 5+2. It is not fun to drive in general, but it will haul and dump 12,000lbs without going over the 23,300lb gvw, and I can get 15,000 on it and still be under 26,000lbs. (It will only dump about 13,500lbs though, so I have to scoop some out with the loader if I go that heavy. Usually that's the last run of the day.) Because the curb weight is under 16k and I do not currently use it commercially, Colorado let me plate it as a personal vehicle for like $250/year. Insured with Progressive for something like $250/year liability. (Way cheaper than I thought it would be...) Even if I had to go commercial plates, it was only $500/year.

Note that it also has drop sides... They're heavy, but still come in handy once in a while. I need to get the tailgate converted to 2-way, since I can't spread with it like it is. And I need to paint it at some point. Probably Rustoleum smoke gray. :)

From my experience with my "baby dump", I'd suggest a 1-ton dump as being a great purchase. The 3500 that was posted above looks nice, but I prefer a more multi-use bed to the actual dump bed... I would not be afraid of that truck, and if it has been taken care of at all, which it appears to have been, the engine and trans should last a long long time...

Where did you score the Army box?

/ Which dump truck #42  
I just came across an 85 International s1700 diesel dump. It has no rust except for the dump body. Price is $2500 which is cheap. It is also local. Any input or advice on buying this truck? Any known problems with this model?

If it has the DT466 International motor in it, it is gutless.

/ Which dump truck #43  

No worse than the little Cat motors in comparable class trucks. They’re 55mph trucks but the power output isn’t that bad.

/ Which dump truck

I will probably never go over 35mph. Used locally for firewood and as a site truck on my property. More concerned about faults that are not obvious. It has the d170 engine.

Last edited:
   / Which dump truck #45  
They were cheap, very common, and parts are everywhere. As long as the basics were looked after, they are pretty reliable.

I would be far more worried about the non-brand specific bits: How does the oil look, how do the brakes look, has the thing been driven in the salt, how rusty is the frame?

/ Which dump truck #47  
I just came across an 85 International s1700 diesel dump d170 engine. It has no rust except for the dump body. Price is $2500 which is cheap. It is also local. Any input or advice on buying this truck? Any known problems with this model?

If it's a running/driving truck that doesn't need anything major, that's sounds like a good deal. Some rust on the box is going to be normal for a NH truck, but make sure it isn't structurally weak... Pushing the ram up through the floor would render your sweet deal a useless mess...

Check the tires too. Especially if NH has inspections. Replacing 6 tires due to age or dry rot is going to be pricey too...

I'm running a 366 gasser at 7k' loaded to 24-26,000 lbs. It's a bit slow on long grades, but it gets the job done. I don't think teh Int'l would be a bad truck with the d170 at near sea level. That's a 9 liter engine with 170hp IIRC. If it runs when you buy it, it'll probably run forever with a little maintenance...

Before you buy, check into registering it. I assume it's probably a non-cdl truck, which would mean hydraulic brakes and under 26k GVW. Here in CO, because the empty weight was under 16,000lbs, I could plate it as a standard "truck" rather than having to buy commercial plates, which are double. (personal use only.)

Good Luck!!

/ Which dump truck
If it's a running/driving truck that doesn't need anything major, that's sounds like a good deal. Some rust on the box is going to be normal for a NH truck, but make sure it isn't structurally weak... Pushing the ram up through the floor would render your sweet deal a useless mess...

Check the tires too. Especially if NH has inspections. Replacing 6 tires due to age or dry rot is going to be pricey too...

I'm running a 366 gasser at 7k' loaded to 24-26,000 lbs. It's a bit slow on long grades, but it gets the job done. I don't think teh Int'l would be a bad truck with the d170 at near sea level. That's a 9 liter engine with 170hp IIRC. If it runs when you buy it, it'll probably run forever with a little maintenance...

Before you buy, check into registering it. I assume it's probably a non-cdl truck, which would mean hydraulic brakes and under 26k GVW. Here in CO, because the empty weight was under 16,000lbs, I could plate it as a standard "truck" rather than having to buy commercial plates, which are double. (personal use only.)

Good Luck!!
I will be getting farm plates. The tires look good but I forgot to mention the brake fluid leak. It leaks fluid with no indication where it is leaking externally. My guess is it leaks behind the master cylinder into the brake booster( if there is one).

/ Which dump truck #49  
I will be getting farm plates. The tires look good but I forgot to mention the brake fluid leak. It leaks fluid with no indication where it is leaking externally. My guess is it leaks behind the master cylinder into the brake booster( if there is one).

If the master cyl is mounted straight to the firewall, it's hydrovac like mine. Not the most impressive system, but it'll stop the truck. Check the floor under the mat for brake fluid. Caustic stuff, and you'll have a rotten floor in no time if you don't get it fixed...

Where's our picture?? :)

/ Which dump truck #50  
Non-air brake diesels usually have hydroboost brakes (brake booster runs off the steering pump instead of a vacuum chamber). I think some of them have a battery backup electric pump for when the engine is off. Gas motor would be a regular vacuum unit?

I never got to wrench on them, just topped the fluids and got behind the wheel.