Which Electric Log Splitter?

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #11  
Just some food for thought. Even splitting softwoods, What size blocks will you potentially be splitting? all straight with no large knots or twisted?
Speaking from experience from splitting large pine blocks as well as hardwoods, A large block of yellow pine for example with a big knot in it, or one growth twisted splits harder than a similar straight grained block of red oak.
We use a 20 ton splitter and a knotty twisted 16 inch diameter 16 to 18 inches long, block of pine will make it grunt. It splits but you can hear the splitter working hard at it.
For smaller diameter straight grained wood 7 tons might work ok, i can't say as i have no experience with the electrics, but if you are planning on large blocks i foresee some issues.

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #12  
Red oak is one of the easiest splitting woods IMO. So it really isnt an accurate comparison. And pine all splits hard. Because I have never seen pine that wasnt "knotty". Just the way the limbs grow. And it is so soft, unless it is dry, you can burry a wedge or maul without even a hint of it beginning to split.

On the same tolken, I have my doubts that even the 7t unit would so much as begin to split even a small 10" peice of straight grained white(american) elm. It dont get much tougher than elm. Let alone larger or crotch peices:mur:

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #13  
Go to Hearth.com and read in the Equiptment/gear section. there are a ton of members that have electric splitters. Many have gas and electric to split smaller and many in urban areas have electric. The consensus there seems to be the homelite ones, although i have read about Ryobi (think its the same as well as task force maybe diff covers and all).

That forum is a wood burners heaven. I like it here but we dont hold a candle to that place on firewood issues.

Anyway i looked into gettin one, but the mandatory, unless you mod it, 2 handed operation i did not like. YOu must press a button with one hand and then the cycle button with the other to run it. Also the long cycle times i did not like. I decided to just borrow a friends gas one when needed and then help with maintenence items and such when needed. But its a guy i work with and we borrow from each other and i help him around the house when he needs it so its not like i feel bad borrowing it. I also gave him a motor off my old pressure washer for his tiller that needed one. So its not like just some random friend i borrow from.

Anyway, most folks say that they have notrouble even splitting oak and other hardwoods so i think any soft wood will be easy.

I agree on the handle part. I made a mod to it with some simple linkage so one had would operate it. many time you have to use your other hand t hold it etc.So the mechanizm i made made it usable.

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #14  
Having had a King electric (like the earthquake) and now a gas splitter I say, save your $400 and get a gas unit, There is one at TSC for like $1000 IIRC that has great reviews.

The electric while somewhat powerful is SLOW beyond belief. And the 2 handed "safety" .. so much frustration.

Now, its at dads place where he uses it to make kindeling and split some of the larger pieces he get from me.

Basically it was a waste of $400 + $100 for the stand if you ask me.

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #15  
Thank you Jason and everyone for great information, Your right Jason after I have been searching and looking on youtube I am looking to buy a gas powered, from 12 ton to 22 ton, "still looking" I also see one sold at Northern Tool. Wel-Bilt 12 ton 208 cc 6 HP, but its made in China, I will pay alittle more for American made. TSC Huskee® 22-Ton Log Splitter, CARB Compliant - 1032822 | Tractor Supply Company Still looking, Gary

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #16  
for $1000, its hard to beat the tsc huskee

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #17  
Thank you Jason and everyone for great information, Your right Jason after I have been searching and looking on youtube I am looking to buy a gas powered, from 12 ton to 22 ton, "still looking" I also see one sold at Northern Tool. Wel-Bilt 12 ton 208 cc 6 HP, but its made in China, I will pay alittle more for American made. TSC Huskee® 22-Ton Log Splitter, CARB Compliant - 1032822 | Tractor Supply Company Still looking, Gary

I appreciate that you want to buy US made. Im the same way. However, I think you'll be in for sticker shock when you start pricing one out. It will be double (likely more if it's a commercial one, Timberwolf's TW5 for example are in the $6000+ area) than the TSC unit. For your relatively small amount of splitting, it might not be worth it.

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #18  
I think the Huskee is USA made and is raved about on the Hearth.com

I personally would go gas if you was to pay the new price of an electric. Used gas ones rarely come up at a good deal so new seems the best route unless you find a deal, and im talking $400 or so.

Northern sells a decent one i think for $800.

As far as china stuff i have been impressed with the HF motor that my buddy put on his splitter. He has a 20 ton unit and replaced the motr with the $99, 6.5 HP horozontal shaft motor. Its a Honda copy and honestly is about as quiet and starts as easy as a honda. It will start first or second pull after sitting unused for months. We have both used it pretty hard for like 2 years and motor is great. ITs worth every penny. If it threw a rod today i would buy another. NO smoke from it and easy starting and will run hours on the one tank of fuel, like 4-6 hours maybe?

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #19  
I think the Huskee is USA made and is raved about on the Hearth.com

Is it? Maybe assembled out of "global" components? I didnt think Speeco really "made" anything here.

/ Which Electric Log Splitter? #20  
I dont know about the newer speeco/huskees, but the older ones (ours is about 8 years old now) uses a barns pump and a prince valve. Top quality stuff. And the briggs and stratton is a USA motor as well. (unlike hondas).

Dont know it their is any truth to it, but I have heard that they dont use the barnes/prince stuff anymore. But even so, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY splitter that is 100% made in USA with 100% made in USA parts. And even if you did find one that "claimed" that, it would be hard to prove. Things like hydraulic fittings, even from the likes of parker and gates et. al. are getting outsourced. Where was the i-beam made? Sheet metal to make the tank? Are the bearings in the wheels SKF or timken? or are they made in china??

IMO, huskee is as USA made as any of them. And they are a really good splitter for the money and get pretty good reviews too.