which grapple for a 3520/300cx

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx #1  

bud4410

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 3520 HST open station turf tires air seat jd 997 ztrak 72"
hi guys, i have a 3520 with a 300cx loader. i might have some interest in adding a grapple for general storm cleanup, picking up limbs, crushing same, and all the other handy jobs that can be done with one. on another thread they mention a "brush crusher" that seems to work without adding another hydraulic function. i'm completely in the dark on this subject. please offer some advice on the ins and outs of owning and operating a grapple and pluses and minuses of the different brands. thanks in advance for your help........bud

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx #2  
A little late now with the storm coming tomorrow night:laughing:

Years ago I would have recommended the Markam-now Gator LD48 grapple which I currently own (and those are my pictures on their website also). Now I would have to recommend the WR Long unit. The Markham's sold the business and there have been lots of reports of bad service from the new owners.

A search of these terms will turn up hours of reading:

markham
gator
grapple
wr long

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx #3  
There's root rakes like kennyd showed, and the WR Long one is very nice or you could add just a grapple to your bucket. There are a couple, there's a Green Machine Thumb but you'll need to beef up your bucket some. I bought a WR Long Bolt On Grapple that pretty strong (I have the single one).

I would say that any grapple is better then none!!! The main cost is adding the hydraulics... The "brush crusher" does it without adding hydraulics but you have to un-pin your bucket and if you look at the videos, it's mainly on big beefy tractors. I don't know anyone who has posted photos or experience with them on TBN.

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx
site administrator, please move to: john deere owning & operating. my mistake. thanks....bud4410

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx #7  
The Frontier units are weigh a little too much for the 3000 series. I'd say price aside the Long units are hard too beat. If you feel brave you can take try the Gator unit Kenny mentioned. It seems a crap shoot as to getting what you pay for from them.

Matt

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx #8  
I have been happy with the durability of the 48" markham grapple and feel it is a good fit with the 300cx but you need to be careful to specify carrier (jdqa or skid steer) and what size and type of hydraulic hose ends required when you order. As Kenny mentioned, there is a lot of reading available on the subject. I also have the WR Long diverter valve which I love. Combo works great and well worth the money - beyond the tractor itself - the best purchase I have made. It's loaded and ready to go in anticipation of irenes arrival this evening.

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx #9  
I've got a Markham / Gator 48" grapple. I was using mine hard on stumps and tore the grapple from the JD QD mount which cost me some expensive repairs. I got mine fixed up again....and like the way is operates. I operate mine via the JD SCV and the JD hardline kit to the front of the loader. Nice.

I just wish Gator would have put the gussets on the grapple like John Deere puts on their buckets. It would have saved me lots of hassle and $450 in repairs.

If you do buy a Gator....do as advised above.....AND get Gator to put the needed gussets on your grapple. OR....buy 'em at the JD parts counter and have them welded on. It may save you allot of grief.

Gator is a good deal....and they almost have a good product.

/ which grapple for a 3520/300cx #10  
bud4410 said:
hi guys, i have a 3520 with a 300cx loader. i might have some interest in adding a grapple for general storm cleanup, picking up limbs, crushing same, and all the other handy jobs that can be done with one. on another thread they mention a "brush crusher" that seems to work without adding another hydraulic function. i'm completely in the dark on this subject. please offer some advice on the ins and outs of owning and operating a grapple and pluses and minuses of the different brands. thanks in advance for your help........bud

Have a loom at Westendorf Brush Crusher. :)
http://www.loaders.com/aspx/Product/Default.aspx