which grass seed?

/ which grass seed? #1  

bdw593

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6025
Just got done with dirt work on tard after building my house. With the dry weather we've had it like a big dust bowl right now. Weather should b breaking and should have some moisture coming so I am wondering/ needing opinions on which grass seed to use on this bare yard. Soil conditions may not b perfect as there is some fill mixed in with the top soil from the basement excavation. I live in western Ky near the Indiana border.. Any insight/ opinions are greatly appreciated.

/ which grass seed? #2  
I'd go to local co-op agency w/ soil sample. They can give you the best info regarding seed, amendments to soil, etc.

/ which grass seed? #3  
A lot of people don't know that some grass seed (usually cheaper) is annual.

I had a neighbor who asked me if I knew why the grass she planted came up real nice, but she had to reseed every year.

I agree that the places that sell seed should be able to advise you. Make sure that whatever you buy is perennial.

/ which grass seed? #4  
How much you want to or plan on watering it is also key. Another item is whether or not you want a grass that spreads by rhizomes. If it does it will fill in empty spots but will also slowly creep into flower beds etc. and may require some maintanence to keep it where you want it.

/ which grass seed? #5  
I'd look for a mix with annual rye,( germinates fast and helps hold the dirt down.

Perenial rye,Blue grass and fescue. You need the rye and fescue because the blue grass has a "Very" slow germination time.